Korg sv 8 or Yamaha CP40 help!

Reaction score
Am I correct from your nickname that you are a complete novice?

If so then it depends upon if you actually want to learn to play piano or keys!

If you want to play piano then Yamaha’s do have great piano sounds.

If you want to play keys then do look at the Roland Juno DS88 which has great piano sounds itself but it will do so much more than simply be a digital piano.

Reaction score
thoughts please
If by "Korg SV8" you mean "Korg SV-1 88", I'm happy to offer my opinion, based on about two years of heavy usage. I won't comment on the Yamaha as I've never touched one.

Overall I love my SV-1.

Pros:
  • Electric pianos sound amazing. Particularly the Wurli emulation - which I can disappear into for hours, I love playing it so much.
  • Very simple to use
  • Controls logically laid out - literally zero menu diving on this beastie
  • I like the action a lot
  • Looks retro cool, not that looks are important to me when it comes to keyboards, but I know that it matters to some.
Cons:
  • Not overly versatile. It does what it does well, but don't be looking for amazing organ and synth sounds. It also has a fairly limited sound palette.
  • Heavy! Not much fun to lug around on tour.
  • The cool-looking retro round shape means you can't stack other things on top of it.
Good luck!

Reaction score
If by "Korg SV8" you mean "Korg SV-1 88", I'm happy to offer my opinion, based on about two years of heavy usage. I won't comment on the Yamaha as I've never touched one.

Overall I love my SV-1.

Pros:
  • Electric pianos sound amazing. Particularly the Wurli emulation - which I can disappear into for hours, I love playing it so much.
  • Very simple to use
  • Looks retro cool, not that looks are important to me when it comes to keyboards, but I know that it matters to some.
Cons:
  • Not overly versatile. It does what it does well, but don't be looking for amazing organ and synth sounds. It also has a fairly limited sound palette.
  • The cool-looking retro round shape means you can't stack other things on top of it.
Good luck!

Overall I love my SV-1.

Pros:
  • Very simple to use
Cons:
Good luck!

Overall I love my SV-1.

Pros:
  • Very simple to use
Cons:
Good luck!
Thank you yiur reply

Overall I love my SV-1.

Pros:
  • Very simple to use
Cons:
Good luck!

Overall I love my SV-1.

Pros:
  • Very simple to use
Cons:
Good luck!
Thank you for reply I think I’ll go with sv-1 I don’t mind the limited number of sounds I have a Yamaha yc for organ and I micro korg not much into synths I’m sure I can Connect them thru midi. What really drawed me to sv 1 was the hands on knobs feeling of changing the parameters looked up videos last night and looked exactly what I want , I liked the cp40 sounds but the menu seemed so boring and not to complicated but not user friendly for someone who has only played a little less then a year like I have , I have a dx7 and only got it because my neighbor sold it to me for 30 dollars and I could not pass up that offer for how much some people sell them for online was going to sell it for a profit but ended up using it as my practice/main keyboard after trying it and loving the keys and sound for being so old but I know it won’t last forever givin how much I play it, I only play a acoustic concert piano sound on it and one rhode sound so honestly 400 sounds to 1000 sounds are overkill for me I just want something enjoyable to play

Reaction score
Thank you yiur reply

Thank you for reply I think I’ll go with sv-1 I don’t mind the limited number of sounds I have a Yamaha yc for organ and I micro korg not much into synths I’m sure I can Connect them thru midi. What really drawed me to sv 1 was the hands on knobs feeling of changing the parameters looked up videos last night and looked exactly what I want , I liked the cp40 sounds but the menu seemed so boring and not to complicated but not user friendly for someone who has only played a little less then a year like I have , I have a dx7 and only got it because my neighbor sold it to me for 30 dollars and I could not pass up that offer for how much some people sell them for online was going to sell it for a profit but ended up using it as my practice/main keyboard after trying it and loving the keys and sound for being so old but I know it won’t last forever givin how much I play it, I only play a acoustic concert piano sound on it and one rhode sound so honestly 400 sounds to 1000 sounds are overkill for me I just want something enjoyable to play
Thank you yiur reply

I’ll still go to guitar center to check out other option but haven’t found anything like sv 1 quick hands on controls no menus is just all around cool and looks fun I feel to much menu diving kills the joy of the moment sometimes that’s why I like the Yamaha reface series and it’s set up with drawbars and knobs but mini keys get overwhelming to play on after trying to learn more technical fingering and wanting to stretch my fingers out

Last edited:
Reaction score

If you want to play keys then do look at the Roland Juno DS88 which has great piano sounds itself but it will do so much more than simply be a digital piano.
I’ll look up jump

I’ll look at the junk ! I know there’s so many of them but

Sorry I ment Juno not junk auto correct, have been playing a little less then a year so novice ha . ill look up that Juno there’s so many so I never know what’s what and never looked into Roland very much but maybe it’ll suprise me thank you for your input I don’t own anything Roland except a 404sp sampler

Last edited:

Ask a Question