what should i buy- a Korg PA300 or Yamaha PSR S670

Reaction score
hello guys please suggest which is a better keyboard.I am interested mainly in good piano sound and some effects like strings, guitar, base guitar, electric pads .
I need your help

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Curious as to your choice of these two keyboards to look at. Both of them are arrangers, which means they're really designed to play accompaniments for you while you play the melody. They've also got built in speakers, which, while convenient, also tend to be lacking in frequency response and volume.

This is not to say that these are killer features, just that it's interesting that you picked two arrangers to look at while not mentioning in your post anything that makes them arrangers. I'm wondering if you'd be happier with a non-arranger keyboard.

Another issue with both keyboards is that they're only 61 note keyboards, rather than the 88 of the standard piano keyboard. What type of piano music are you interested in playing? If you are playing only through the early romantic era, then the keyboard will be fine. But if you're going past the mid 1800s, composers starting using the range provided by modern pianos.

Lastly, both are unweighted keyboards, rather than a weighted, piano style keyboard. There is nothing wrong with an un-weighted keyboard, but if you're planning on playing a "real" piano at some time you may have a bit of a surprise. (I've got two keyboards in my electronic stack. One an 88 note weighted one, while the other is a 76 note unweighted one. They both serve a purpose. I just don't know what your purpose for this keyboard is.)

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Fred. I will state explicit reasons in my reply.I like to play the piano tone a lot.I would like to play all forms of piano music right from 1800s to jazz to blues.I like to play the romantic piano a lot(most interested in it). So basically i am fond of the grand piano tone. Yes i am planning to buy an unweighted keyboard because i don't really intend to play the REAL PIANO anytime.(no opportunity as i see in the near future). I am at an intermediate stage. I can play some blues music. But i need to learn a lot( million more hours of practice needed).
I need some effects (not styles) like strings, pads, guitars, distortion and bass, flute and they should be very good.I play with live bands sometimes so the inbuilt rhythms are of practically no use. I intend to do some recording stuff sometime where i may require a style(but thats a very futuristic plan).
So apart from PA 300 or PSR S 670 if there is a better option according to you then i am open to your suggestion.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
If you're interested in late romantic and later music, I really wouldn't be looking at 61 note keyboards. If you're never (or close to never) looking at playing a "real" piano, then you probably don't need to look at a weighted keyboard.

I don't know of any unweighted 88 note keyboards, but there are unweighted keyboards with 73 or 76 keys. This would let you play music with a wider range, without the weight, etc., that's entailed with getting a weighted 88 note keyboard.

As for specific recommendations, I'll let the other members of this forum weigh in. I know the issues; I don't know the solutions.

As for the millions of hours of practice? It's been said by researchers that you can master something with only 10,000 to 20,000 hours of practice. So it isn't millions.

Reaction score
thanks, For the record i am never going to play the real piano. Its probability is ver very less even after 10 years.WIll you suggest me to go specifically for the 76 or 88 key keyboard. I do need patches like the strings , flute, bass, distortion, violin and i need a majestic grand piano tone.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I think if the OP has already narrowed down the search for a kb to just TWO models then the hard work has already been done.
Fred, don't complicate it:eek:
Rajat, Both are class kb's and you would be very happy with either. You need to examine the specs of both and even try both out at a retail outlet. you pick the one with best features that suits your needs.
It boils down to a personal choice.:)
Make it fun. Don't worry, be happy:)

Reaction score
I have had both Korg and Yamaha keyboards in the past and sill have an Yamaha arranger at the moment, both have good sounds and styles, but for me Yamaha has the edge in it there is a massive amount of free styles and registrations for Yamaha , plus a lot of free programs that allow you achieve lots of amazing things, if you are happy to be a One Man Band. One notable thing for me was the quality of the recording produce by the Yamaha was loads better that the Korg.

These are just the differences I have noticed, I hope you enjoy which ever you decide to by

Brian

Ask a Question