Kurzweil PC4 vs. PC4 SE

Reaction score
Looking to replace my 13 yr. Roland RD300GX, which has served me well on hundreds of gigs over the years - 1 keyboard setup gigs. For bigger gigs where I bring 2 keyboards (weddings, banquets, parties - ie, NOT cramped bar gigs), I use a Yamaha MoFX8 & a Korg Kronos 61.

Considering purchase of a Kurzweil PC4 - nice light weight/portability, variety of good sounds, lots of physical controls (faders, "hard buttons," etc.) that eliminates menu-diving for simple tasks (layering, splits, etc.). I am aware that Kurzweil has a reputation for "reliability issues" but I am willing to assume that risk.

I am also eyeing up the Kurzweil PC4 SE as a cheaper but viable alternative - which looks to have the exact same keybed/action and mostly the same sounds? - - for a lot less money (about $800 difference from my vendor).

One MAJOR difference which kind of matters to me is after-touch: the PC4 has it, the PC4 SE does NOT have it. Not sure if should be the tipping point for me or not, as I would ONLY want to employ after-touch on a few sounds here and there... but it is really nice to have when you want to use it.

Looking for opinions - esp. from anyone has played both, or owns one vs. the other (PC4 vs. PC4 SE) - - thx

Reaction score
I bought the full-blown Kurzweil PC4 - instead of the PC4SE - which is still a really good machine for the money.

I love the portability - 88 solid/decent feeling keys, yet the whole kybd. only weighs 28.7 lbs. and has a nice small form factor!

Still trying to get the hang of using it - all the different sounds & combinations. I tried splitting the keyboard to have a bass sound in the lower left part of the key bed, a typical scenario - and the bass notes coming out had reverb on them! lol

So I'm still dragging my Roland RD300GX around to the occasional gig where I need to split it and have left hand bass coming out - LH Bass that is NOT drenched in reverb - until I can have time to play with the PC4.

Retiring from day job as July 1 (IT support in a NJ public school district) - so I will have lots more time to do gigs after that, considering I did over 100 in the calendar year 2022... while still working full-time! - - AND I will have a lot more time to really dig into the PC4 and figure how to use more than just the presets!

Looks like Sweetwater has currently knocked $500 off the price of the Kurzweil PC4 - making a $2,499 keyboard a better value at $1,999. I actually got it at that lower price from a local vendor - which is good, because otherwise I'd be royally PISSED! lol

Reaction score
I, too just bought a PC4 from GC. Mine was an open box grade 1
I opened the box at the store to make sure all of the cables were there, including the power supply.
The PC4 looks like new!
I played around with a few patches and so far I am impressed.
Interesting note: when using an Organ patch, the sustain pedal works as a on / off for the Leslie effect.
Very cool.
This will replace my MOX 6 first generation.
Next task: find a soft shell case.

Reaction score
I know what "open box" is - no idea what "grade 1" is... but I'm guessing you saved a nice little chunk of money buying it that way vs. buying the Kurzweil PC4 new.

The sustain pedal working as a Leslie switch is cool - unless you actually want it to work as a Sustain Pedal! lol - -

I often layer organ sounds over piano - so I decided real quick that the sustain acting as a Leslie switch doesn't work for me & figured out how to turn it off. I use the little button in the upper left - hardware button, that is... NOT a "soft control" button on the LCD - as the Leslie On/Off switch.

I use this case -

Gator GK-88-SLIM Semi-Rigid Keyboard Case​

88-key Slim Keyboard Case with Polyethylene-Reinforced Side Walls, Adjustable Interior Straps, External Accessory Pockets, and Wheels

It is lightweight yet somewhat sturdy - good enough for gigging with your own vehicle but NOT intended for heavy duty "world tour" transport on planes, buses & whatnot!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Be advised there is no GM or GM2 soundset in Kurzweils any longer.

Playing an SMF file will yield disappointing results.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I know what "open box" is - no idea what "grade 1" is... but I'm guessing you saved a nice little chunk of money buying it that way vs. buying the Kurzweil PC4 new.

The sustain pedal working as a Leslie switch is cool - unless you actually want it to work as a Sustain Pedal! lol - -

I often layer organ sounds over piano - so I decided real quick that the sustain acting as a Leslie switch doesn't work for me & figured out how to turn it off. I use the little button in the upper left - hardware button, that is... NOT a "soft control" button on the LCD - as the Leslie On/Off switch.

I use this case -

Gator GK-88-SLIM Semi-Rigid Keyboard Case​

88-key Slim Keyboard Case with Polyethylene-Reinforced Side Walls, Adjustable Interior Straps, External Accessory Pockets, and Wheels

It is lightweight yet somewhat sturdy - good enough for gigging with your own vehicle but NOT intended for heavy duty "world tour" transport on planes, buses & whatnot!
Thanks for the reply and suggestion about the Gator -88. I'm not flying anywhere with this keyboard. Mainly a rehearsal keyboard / lessons.
And yes... the cost savings was worth it.

Reaction score

hotraman:​

(I tried to post this as a "Profile Post" but it wouldn't take it)

I use the Rock+Roller Cart R12 to move everything :

Actually mine is old and beat up, THAT is the one I want to get to replace it!

I use it to move everything else - PA speakers, subwoofer, speaker stands, mixer table, etc., Motion Sound KP-408S keyboard amp -

(new version pictured here)

- - everything EXCEPT the Kurzweil PC4 - the Gator Case that I recommended has built-in wheels, so I just roll it in!

Reaction score
@GigMan
Thanks for the reply. I bought a rock n roller cart six years ago. I use to lug in my pedal steel guitar, pedalboard, pack a seat, and second guitar when needed.
I found the Kurzeil 88 keyboard gig bag online and at a cheaper price than the Gator 88 slim key. I'm borrowing a friend's 88 keyboard rolling soft case gig bag. It fits into my full-size Chevy truck.

Ask a Question