Cakewalk instrument definition for Kurzweil PC4

Reaction score
As per the topic : Anyone have a Cakewalk instrument definition for Kurzweil PC4 ?
Please lemme know if you do. :) TIA.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's at least one person here on the forums working on one.

He goes by the handle @Runninamok and I gave him a few pointers on how to create the file.

Send him a msg to check on his progress so far. :cool:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There's at least one person here on the forums working on one.

He goes by the handle @Runninamok and I gave him a few pointers on how to create the file.

Send him a msg to check on his progress so far. :cool:

Gary ;)
I am Runninamok, Gary, LOL.. still trying to figure it out myself.. I still don't have the PC4-7 in my hands so I can't try anything. I also can't find anywhere in the PC4 manual any mention of the export process you mentioned. " under Storage Mode, Then the Utilities Menu, Then Export."

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Did you ask over on the Cakewalk and Kurzweil Forums I linked?

Delaware Dave and I are pretty much the only Kurzweil owners on this forum.

On the Kurzweil forums you have company support reps and on the Cakewalk Forums you'll find lots of encouragement but very little help with your particular instrument.

The point is, you're not very likely to get much more help with your project here.

The documentation is all out there on the web and the sooner you teach yourself how to write your own, the sooner you'll have the INS file.

Do you think I wrote all the INS files that I did just for fun?

Every time I encountered a new piece of gear in my collection my choice was to either write my own or pray that someone else would write one for me.

And even then, a lot of times if one has been prewritten it's buggy as hell.

It's a learned skill just like anything else.

You can plaster every forum out there for months, but the board isn't even shipping yet and unless Kurzweil supplied one of their own then you are strictly on your own.

Anyway, I predict you'll keep looking for a month or two and then finally you'll roll up your sleeves and write the bloody thing yourself.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Did you ask over on the Cakewalk and Kurzweil Forums I linked?
Not yet.

Delaware Dave and I are pretty much the only Kurzweil owners on this forum.
OK.. i just found that out.

On the Kurzweil forums you have company support reps and on the Cakewalk Forums you'll find lots of encouragement but very little help with your particular instrument.

The point is, you're not very likely to get much more help with your project here.
Sorry , not sorry for asking.

The documentation is all out there on the web and the sooner you teach yourself how to write your own, the sooner you'll have the INS file.
The documentation *MAY* all be out there on the web, but I have yet to find it OR the exported file you mentioned and I don't yet have my PC4 to try to compose one.

Do you think I wrote all the INS files that I did just for fun ?
Absolutely not and I'm sorry if If that was implied..I'm also sorry that you may think that,
I also TOTALLY understand that I CAN'T do this myself until I have the instrument listing in a form that I can use to create said definition file.

Every time I encountered a new piece of gear in my collection my choice was to either write my own or pray that someone else would write one for me.

And even then, a lot of times if one has been prewritten it's buggy as hell.

It's a learned skill just like anything else.

You can plaster every forum out there for months, but the board isn't even shipping yet and unless Kurzweil supplied one of their own then you are strictly on your own.
The PC4 HAS shipped and I'd be willing to bet that *SOMEONE* out there has some information pertaining to this particular instrument and will share it IF I can find them.

Anyway, I predict you'll keep looking for a month or two and then finally you'll roll up your sleeves and write the bloody thing yourself.
Again.. IF I had the instrument, I would be on it...

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!!
Oh there ARE shortcuts.. you just have to find them. Sorry to bother you. Until I have the instrument IN HAND and set up so I CAN actually try to generate the info I need, I'll keep looking.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Appendix C Page 339 of the manual.

A COMPLETE LIST of programs, in pdf format, that you can copy and paste to your INS file.

So what the hell is stopping you from roughing this out already?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
cakewalk instrument definition for........
you can insert your own defintion in instruments /define.
If you dont know the voice control numbers (to make your banknumbers) then youn can use
avaiiable instrument lists GM,GM2,XG,GS, depending on the brand of your keyboard.
About the PC4
Apparently has no fixed instruments ( like MIDI) but build in programs (VAST) with ID numbers you can edit and save .
(KB3 program). All the voices,instruments and sounds are midi controlled.
It is a very complicated but versatile device if you can work with the controller codes.
The manual was very helpful to understand the content.
Stay safe in covid times.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One thing I recall hearing when the PC4 came out was that it has no GM support.

This may have changed with a recent firmware update.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question