Kurzweil sp4-7 as rehearsal rig?

Reaction score
I am looking for a low cost all-in-one board for taking to rehearsals and maybe small gigs. I play in a few bands that are pretty different - jam band, cover/dance band, straight ahead jazz band.

I currently use play a Kawai MP-6 as my main board for pianos, strings, clavs, synths and I have a nord electro 4-d that I use mainly for organ.

I am thinking that the sp4-7 might be a good enough blend of both to get me by as far as using it as both an organ and for pianos in rehearsals.

Thanks for any input!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Kurz SP4-7 is a good choice.

Also consider the Casio Privia PX-5S.

Featherweight, great hammer action and great organs and pianos and synths. Only 5 drawbars for the organs though.

Also reliability wise, I frequent both the Kurzweil and the Casio forums online and the Casio seems to have a much lower incidence of breakdowns.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Norm,

I've owned an SP4-7 for about three years. It's a really cool 'board. Not too heavy or too big and I really do like the semi-weighted action. I gig and rehearse with it regularly.

Pianos and Wurlis sound great, Rhodes is pretty good, Organs are OK, strings are marginal.

I have to endorse Gary's point about it not being the most reliable board I've ever owned (mine's currently under repair, not for the first time either) but I won't comment on the Casio alternative as I've never owned nor played one of those.

Hope that helps!

Ask a Question