Kurzweil Mark 5 right channel out

Reaction score
The right channel is out on my Kurzweil Mark 5. I checked tweeter and woofer and the are working. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? Authorized repair is non existent in metro Detroit. All I hear is all the parts are no longer made. I can't find any signs of "burn out" on the pcb (board). Even the headphone jacks are out on the right channel. (Yes, I did hard reset and still the right channel is out)
Thanks in advance

Daniel

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Service manual and schematics are available on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/371659097836

As for troubleshooting audio?

If you have a scope and a signal injector I would try tracing the path of an audio tone to localize the break in the path.

Other than that you're pretty much on your own.

Or you could simply take it to an "un-authorized" tech and see what he could do with it.

A decently skilled keyboard tech should at least be able to isolate the problem if not fix it altogether.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary thanks

I did buy the repair manual

I was/am skilled enough to take our the power PCB unit and take it to a cross town electronics "expert" after a 40 minute drive one way he said he needed the whole piano! Does this sound like an under skilled tech to you? Another Kurzweil authorized tech said he needed to make a house call although he said the problem was a "chip" indicating to me that he is familiar with this failure ($75 just to show up) I asked if I could bring power PCB to him and he said no...... Should I just keep calling techs until one knows his beans about what you describe?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What makes you think a failed audio channel is the result of a failed power supply?

Frankly I don't blame these techs for wanting to see the entire unit.

You cannot effectively troubleshoot a piece of hardware unless you are working with the entire system.

Most likely the failure is a failed power transistor or op amp somewhere in the audio circuit.

Stop burning your bridges with these techs and pay the going rate to get it fixed properly. Don't tell these guys how to do their jobs.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, $75 for a housecall from a tech is very reasonable.

These guys aren't running a charity and if you hired a guy to fix your furnace or your dishwasher you'd be paying him anywhere between $100 and $125 an hour.;

They have all kinds of overhead and if this guy says he can fix it on the spot for $75 plus parts and labour and knows what he's doing then he's a solid bargain.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The right channel is out on my Kurzweil Mark 5. I checked tweeter and woofer and the are working. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? Authorized repair is non existent in metro Detroit. All I hear is all the parts are no longer made. I can't find any signs of "burn out" on the pcb (board). Even the headphone jacks are out on the right channel. (Yes, I did hard reset and still the right channel is out)
Thanks in advance

Daniel
Hi I realize this is an older post but I was wondering if you ever found an answer or solution to your right channel out on mark 5? I have a mark 10 with same problem and the circuit boards inside say
Mark 5/10/12/120/150
So obviously there is some interchangeability between them .
Thanks

Ask a Question