Looking for a keyboard that allows you to mute certain parts of the accompaniment

Reaction score
Hi
I can play simple melody line along with chords.
I play at a club but find that the singers don't keep up with (or run away from!) the tempo I am playing at.
My old key board allowed me to mute drums and rythmn so that only chords played and kept going in the background even when changing chords - so I could play at the speed of the singers and it sounded good! My new keyboard doesn't allow me to do this and I am looking for a new one that does.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks
Isobel

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think most Yamaha arrangers allow you to mute the various parts of the accompaniment as desired.

On the higher-end models (PSR-S, PSR-SX, TYROS, and GENOS) I think you do this by going into the Mixer display and adjusting the volume of each part, but you might also be able to toggle them on or off (I'm not sure).

On the lower-end models (PSR-E, PSR-EW, and YPT) you can toggle the parts on or off using the TRACK CONTROL buttons, although you cannot adjust the volume of each part.

Note that if the accompaniment includes melodic phrases, bass lines, guitar strums, etc. that change key according to the chords you're using, those things will still play at the tempo you've set for the style, regardless of whether or not the drum and rhythm parts are toggled off.

Reaction score
A Korg PA 4 X does what you seek very easily.

There are a number of sliders and each one is configured to adjust the volume of different instruments, hence far easier than having to menu hop.

Downside is the cost.

Me I would have a word with the singer for them to be aware of their timing.

Reaction score
As mentioned above, my Yamaha and Korg, as well as my Ketron arrangers all do this easily.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be surprised if almost any arranger didn't accomodate this. But the premise surprises me. Usually the singers follow the drums for tempo, not the other way around. Stylistically, singers may push or lag behind the beat, but that doesn't mean the drums should adjust. Unless the singers have actually complained about the drum tempos, my inclination would be to keep the drums going and let the vocalists do their thing around it. Unless maybe there's some issue with the monitoring and they're not hearing the drums well enough to keep anywhere near in time with them?

Reaction score
I have had timing problems with my band whenever I would use my arrangers as such. I have been performing as a OMB for over 50 years, but have a band for dances once a week. Our drummer and piano player have been used to used to adjusting to the tempo of the singers, and even the rest of the band. When I took over a year ago, I tried to get everyone to follow a constant beat. The bpm's seemed to speed over over time, and with a singer, it was all over the place.

I found that it was a combination of a weak drummer, not listening to the beat, and not hearing well enough over the horns, etc. This band has been together for over thirty years and it is difficult to get these guys to change. I tried my arrangers to set the beat, but they couldn't stay in sync, very frustrating. I even bought headphones for the drummer with a click track.

Reaction score
I had to laugh at Bernie A's comment...Such fun all doing their own thing...

Sounds like they all need hearing aids to me ! Or a dirty great big metronome :D

Reaction score
Ha-You are absolutely right, but they won't wear them, or turn them off, claiming the sounds through their hearing aids were awful--DUH, that is the cacophony they really sound like. Let em go, the old guys are are having fun. The dancers are just as old and can't hear either.

Ask a Question