Making this m-audio sing..

Reaction score
Well I received my M-a 49 mk3 today and its a nice looking controller. So with this keyboard you get access to some downloads for some voices, patches or whatever you to call them, but nothing there for my iPad iOS. I tried downloading one that is meant for the Mac but it wouldn't work. So I got an app for a free grand piano I found in the App Store and that's OK, but that's all it is. I do want to use my iPad instead of a PC. Looking for a recommendation for a good app for iOS that will give me some good sounds, synthesizer or piano, and if there's a one that does it all, voices, recording , saving, etc that would be great. Don't mind spending for a decent one. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Ps, new to all this and having fun with all this connectivity esp.with all the help from you folks in past threads. Thanks to you all.

Reaction score
Well I jumped the gun a bit and downloaded the Lorentz app.
Seems ok, suggestions still appreciated

Reaction score
Joe

The Piano one you installed is probably the one I test drove, I uninstalled it as I did not like the sound of the freebie ones and as the freebies ones sounded the way they did I was not going to risk spending cash on the
paid for versions.

For your iPad have a look at:-

Music Studio 2
Arturia iSEM
Korg Gadget LE
Synthesia

The above I have on my iPad and they are pretty good

There is another that has 5* and its Galileo Organ but I have not tried it

There are quite a lot of Synths in the App Store and I have just seen Cubasis 2 which does cost £49 hence will need quite a bit of research

a free one is Virtuoso Piano Free 4

You should also have Garage Band on your iPad, if not its a free download

Reaction score
For some reason GarageBand needs higher than my iOS 10. It won't load. I will check the others you mentioned , thanks.

Reaction score
I am on 11 4 1 on my old iPad, I did have more Music Apps but they went out the window when I upgraded to 11.
I have had my iPad for years, upgrade someday . My iPad will not upgrade any further.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have had my iPad for years, upgrade someday . My iPad will not upgrade any further.

That was the boat I was in with my iPad 2, except it couldn't update past iOS 9. Then I bought an iPad 5 earlier this year, although I still have my iPad 2 and still use it the most-- for casual usage, anyway. And now the iPad 6 is out, so I kind of wish I'd waited a few more months before getting a new one. :)

One thing that bugs me about the Apple App Store is that there's no option to download an earlier version of an app whose current version requires a newer version of iOS than your device can run. Fortunately, I do still have the older versions of certain apps on my iPad 2, since I wasn't able to update them any further once they required iOS 10 and above. But it would be so much more user-friendly if you could still download and install the last version of an app that worked with whatever version of iOS your device happens to be stuck on.

EDIT: Try searching in the App Store for "synthesizer" to see some of the soft synths that are available-- some of which might rely on using the iPad's touch screen as an input device, so you might not be able to use them with your keyboard. You can also try searching for the names of specific companies; for instance, searching for "Roland" turns up their "SOUND Canvas" app, which costs $19.99 but still runs on iOS 8 and above. "Korg" turns up a number of apps, as does "Arturia" or even "Moog." :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
That was the boat I was in with my iPad 2, except it couldn't update past iOS 9. Then I bought an iPad 5 earlier this year, although I still have my iPad 2 and still use it the most-- for casual usage, anyway. And now the iPad 6 is out, so I kind of wish I'd waited a few more months before getting a new one. :)

One thing that bugs me about the Apple App Store is that there's no option to download an earlier version of an app whose current version requires a newer version of iOS than your device can run. Fortunately, I do still have the older versions of certain apps on my iPad 2, since I wasn't able to update them any further once they required iOS 10 and above. But it would be so much more user-friendly if you could still download and install the last version of an app that worked with whatever version of iOS your device happens to be stuck on.

EDIT: Try searching in the App Store for "synthesizer" to see some of the soft synths that are available-- some of which might rely on using the iPad's touch screen as an input device, so you might not be able to use them with your keyboard. You can also try searching for the names of specific companies; for instance, searching for "Roland" turns up their "SOUND Canvas" app, which costs $19.99 but still runs on iOS 8 and above. "Korg" turns up a number of apps, as does "Arturia" or even "Moog." :D
Ditto on the upgrades. I have a iPad 4, which I would think being iOS 10 they would allow iOS 11 to be installed on, NOPE..
Oh well, I did purchase Lorentz synth, which, I like the features but, not really the voices. The pianos,,, NG. But it is giving me learning experience. I also got the app for music studio, the free one for now, and working through that before I decide to purchase the full blown one.
As for piano, the free iGrand gives you only one but, it satisfies me for now.

Ps. I wish you could get an earlier version of GarageBand, but I believe it's apples plan to make you get a new iPad, cause you can't.

Reaction score

UPDATE:
Just ordered a iPad 6th Gen with ios 11. My wife has a mini with ios 11 but did not want to trade for my Gen 4 ipad. go figure.
So I'll pass my Gen 4 on.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Probably the reason why you couldn't update it to iOS 11 is because of the hardware inside it-- the chips and whatnots, including things like the amount of memory, the CPU speed, etc.

It's pretty much the same with Windows, which is why Microsoft always puts out a program before each new major release of Windows that lets people check their computer's memory, speed, etc., to see if it will be able to run the new version of Windows.

Reaction score
Here's some iOS apps designed to contain a boatload of different sounds:

- Garageband (now you can get it, and you should)
- SampleTank
- Korg Module
- bs-16i
- Syntronik
- iWavestation
- Synthmaster Player

Reaction score

- SampleTank
- Korg Module
- bs-16i
- Syntronik
- iWavestation
- Synthmaster Player
Thanks, Will check them out.

Reaction score

- SampleTank
- Korg Module
- bs-16i
- Syntronik
- iWavestation
- Synthmaster Player
Well, the ipad is here and,,, yea, garageband is already on it. It's updated to 11.4 and Garageband updated. I was able to find the old synthesizers I had on my old iPad, for some reason they showed up in app store for me, under my name, and I just had to reinstall them on to this one. So it's charging up now, I already tried it with my keyboard controller and they work fine. Now it's time to play around with some of the synths I find and GarageBand

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was able to find the old synthesizers I had on my old iPad, for some reason they showed up in app store for me, under my name, and I just had to reinstall them on to this one.

Yep, Apple knows what you bought and it will show up as available for download/installation on all of your iOS devices-- iPads, iPhones, iPods. That's part of why those scary-sounding clauses in privacy policies are there.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And when you take that final dirt nap all of those licenses will vanish in a puff of smoke as though they never existed. :p

Also usually they are non transferable so you can't even resell them if you get bored with them or want to upgrade :p

Food for thought :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's been years since I set up my first iPad, and I forgot all the questions they asked you. Do you want to send this there, do you want to send that there, do you want to agreed to this and that. Comes to the point where you just get tired of answering the questions and just keep hitting agree agree agree. Anyway I'm going to try to keep this iPad kind of clean of all the googly goo stuff. Took the apps I won't use off the desktop, and storing them in the App Store. Of course my first picture I had to take with my new iPad was of the devil dog Lucy, make her my wallpaper.

Reaction score
Well, had some time to play around in the garage.... GarageBand . So far I like it better than any other synth app I’ve tried. Right now just playing with the sounds and will explore more as time goes on.

Ask a Question