Melodica!

Reaction score
ok so anyone here know anything about melodicas? they basically a harmonica with a keyboard on it....

ive recently become pretty interested by them

any info?

Reaction score
I know they sound odd...as well as look odd. My original impression of them was that they were kind of novelty, but after watching a few youtube videos I noticed that several people take them very seriously.

Reaction score
dude i know, i thought it was just a fun thing that i would never actually use but im seriously considering getting one for acoustic sets!

Reaction score
hahaha that'd be great! I've never actually seen someone play one live. Another thing that surprised me was the prices some of them were going for on ebay. I saw one going for like $80 one time.

Reaction score
haha yeah hammond makes one thats 500, idk i suppose if it was my main instrument i could, but thats still pushing it a bit

Reaction score
hahaha whoa hammond? Didn't know they made melodicas. Yeah I could see maybe spending that much, but seriously.

Reaction score
In the right setting it can be very effective indeed. If you haven't already, check out some of Donald Fagen's playing on Babylon Sisters (Steely Dan) or IGY (solo). I think Supertramp used it as well on Dreamer and From Now On

Reaction score
just incase anyone cares i actually went out and bought one at sam ash yesterday, and i have to say that it is pretty fun to mess around with, possibly the best $30 i have ever spent lol.

oh and P.S. they use a melodica in the theme song to the office!

Reaction score
Melodica is the one type of mouth organ, also known as "combat organ, "said, is a free reed instrument similar to the reed organ and harmonica. It is at the top of a music keyboard, by blowing through the mouthpiece of the hole with the equipment side of the gas play.

Reaction score
just incase anyone cares i actually went out and bought one at sam ash yesterday, and i have to say that it is pretty fun to mess around with, possibly the best $30 i have ever spent lol.

oh and P.S. they use a melodica in the theme song to the office!

Hope you have a blast with it!

I got a Hohner HM-901 for Christmas when I was a kid. It was the red one with the buttons that made it hard to play chords, but playing with 2 hands somewhat solved that problem.

I wore it out in about 10 years, but it acctually got a pretty fair amount of use. I'd take it on the bus with me, around campfires, all over really.

What model did you get?

- Jim

Reaction score
yes yes and yes! it can be a little pitchy if you blow too hard or too soft, or if it's really cold or really warm. but for the most part it's right on.

Ask a Question