Melodica

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Where can I buy a NEW melodica?

The music shops don't seem to stock them.

Please do not suggest Amazon
I do not have an account.
Is on-line shopping the only option?

I am reluctant to buy a second hand one. The thought of putting my mouth on a used mouth piece puts me off.

Thoughts?

R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Bob's correct. Other than Amazon your only options are Ebay and Ali Express if you are looking for a cheap Chinese one like I have.

Or check out the local online music stores in Australia.

Anyway, check on the Australian Ebay for one. Otherwise shipping from china to the us to oz will kill ya.

The name brands are two to three times more expensive and they don't sound any better.

What's your beef with Amazon. Not having a prime account during the pandemic is like not owning a TV set. Sure they sell a lot of crap but they are worth their weight in gold if you need something in a hurry.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW. Buying a used melodica is like buying a used harmonica.

"ICK!!!"

Sure you can change the mouthpiece but you are also buying every disease that's ever been blown into it. :p

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I just found one on Gumtree. . local too which I can collect. Just a cheap one but it is new. And I am a new to it too. So maybe the best starting place.
I don't have a beef with Amazon. I just haven't had the need for their products (as yet) and I prefer buying in person.

Reaction score

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks heaps @CowboyNQ
I appreciate your links Paul.
They are most useful since the one I intended to buy turned out a non event. The seller reneged on their offer.
So back to the drawing board.
I think buying on line thru one of your links above is my best option now.

My thoughts on getting one are . . .
I figured since I have trained myself to play left hand chords and not the bass staffs, then the Melodica just uses my right hand for treble staff. The left hand just holds the instrument in place. Have I got that Right?

@happyrat1 Gary suggests cheap ones ($50) sound as good as high end market ones. ($150) Do you agree with that Paul? Since you play professionally on stage, what brand is yours?

32 keys would be suitable for me as a beginner, do you think? I planned on spending roughly $50 to begin with.

R

Reaction score
Hey Ray,

This is correct (about holding with your left hand) although you can rest it on a tabletop and play two handed if you wish.

As far as value for money and quality goes - check this video out and see what you think:

I can’t remember the brand of mine (it’s in the rehearsal room and it was purchased for me as a gift). It plays nicely and I think cost around $80. When I next am there I’ll check it out and see if it has a logo on it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Paul >> That video is not a fair comparison. All name brands and some incredibly pricey vintage models there.

These things are not dissimilar in design from a ten dollar harmonica.

And the chinese metal reeds are cut with and assembled with laser guided robotic precision these days and I can categorically state not a single note is out of tune on my $30 wonder.

Otherwise, if you are looking for a cheezy mouth accordion you're just wasting your money buying a name brand.

I wouldn't spend the extra coin unless I was going to serenade the Queen herself :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I used to own a vintage Hohner exactly like the green one in the thumbnail of the video I posted.

It was a genuine vintage too as it initially belonged to my mum long before I was born.

I used to love playing on it when I was a kid. It was nice to have my own melodica again in 2019 and take it all around the country. It’s retired from touring now but I still use it in my party band.

Melodicas are like any other keyboard instrument. Different ones have different timbral qualities and actions. What we prefer is down to our own taste and budget.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well I've been playing my $30 Chinese Wonder a couple of times a week for the past two years and it hasn't gone out of tune yet.

I have a case for it, but it's pretty much out of the case all the time and getting kicked around the apartment.

There are no outstanding patents on these things so the Chinese can build them just as well for a fraction of the price.

Same thing with Harmonicas. There are dozens of other brands out there just as good as Hohners for a fraction of the price.

And just for the record, I use an extension hose with mine and play it on a table or in my lap.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And also fair disclosure. Blowing a chord on one of these things would give an asthmatic a heart attack :D :D :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
That reminds me Gary - the spit valve on mine got jammed halfway in during one sound check and I didn’t notice.

I’m trying to use it during sound check - I’m blowing so much air I’m nearly having an aneurism and very little sound was coming out in response. I was really concerned that I had lung capacity issues…was already thinking about some lifestyle changes.

Then I discovered what had happened - aha whoops. Mr sound engineer can we please re-do?

Ask a Question