MIDI off keyboard issues

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need help here. I just bought a MIDI interface so I could use my old Roland Alpha-Jr keyboard in kontakt, as I can't afford a 61 or 88 keys controller right now. But as soon as I started using it, I noticed that notes would get stuck in kontakt whenever I played them too fast, as if I were pressing them indefinitely (check first link). I really don't know what it means, but in MIDI-OX, if I play a note too fast, the first port lights up instead of the fourth one, and I think that is the problem (check second link). What should I do? :/
Sorry about my rusty English.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Incidentally I had a similar problem with an old Oxygen 49 controller that was a total piece of crap.

It too was skipping notes and hanging on some.

The ultimate solution was to replace it with a better keyboard built by Alesis but in the interim the quick and dirty fix was to turn off Velocity sensitivity completely in order to be usable at all.

If none of the other tricks I mentioned work this may be your last resort.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for the response!!

I have bought a cheap one, but I tested it with a friend's keyboard and it was ok. I tried turning off the velocity but I couldn't see any difference. PC was running only kontakt and MIDI-OX. I will try the MIDI latency reduction as you said. Thank you again!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unless you use task manager by hitting CTRL ALT DEL you have no idea how much crap is running in the background. This includes stuff like virus scanners, instant messengers and a whole bunch of TSR programs that run in the background performing windows housekeeping.

Good luck with the latency reduction.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need help here. I just bought a MIDI interface so I could use my old Roland Alpha-Jr keyboard in kontakt, as I can't afford a 61 or 88 keys controller right now. But as soon as I started using it, I noticed that notes would get stuck in kontakt whenever I played them too fast, as if I were pressing them indefinitely (check first link). I really don't know what it means, but in MIDI-OX, if I play a note too fast, the first port lights up instead of the fourth one, and I think that is the problem (check second link). What should I do? :/
Sorry about my rusty English.

If it is Windows XP - then latency is a problem,as above. If the MIDI channel is changing between Note on and off then that seems like dropped bits which is either a cheap interface or latency.
If the notes are sticking in Kontakt then this would happen if the note off is a different midi channel from note on,which is because the header MIDI code has been changed.
There is certainly no problem with the note generation/channel info of the keyboard? It works with other equipment? If so then either the interface or latency is the cause.
I find Win98 copes better than XP !!

Ask a Question