Connect korg electric piano with korg microstation (midi)

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope someone can help me out with this, because the user manual doesn't make me any wiser.

Simply put: I have a Korg microstation. Very nice machine, but I'd really like to use another keyboard to play it with, because of the tiny keys on the microstation.

I want to use the keyboard of my digital/electrical piano, also from korg (the ec350 concert piano). This one also has a midi in and a midi out port. Now I've already connected the midi in from the ec350 to the midi out of the microstation and vice versa.

Now I noticed that I can already trigger the sounds of my ec350 with the microstation, but NOT vice versa.
So, I guess there is some setting I have to tweak on the microstation and I have no clue which one.

I'm so surprised; i would've thought that i could find something like this easily in the user manual. Just: 'how do i play the sounds of the microstation with an external midi device'.

So now I really hope someone here owns a microstation!

Greets,
Marjolein

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Go into your Microstation's menus and look for the MIDI settings. You may either have to enable MIDI IN or set an input channel as well.

Also make sure the Piano is sending MIDI OUT and again make sure the channels are synced.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ah, well... i've already searched for the midi settings. But I see nothing about enabling midi in and inputchannels.

The piano has no menu or whatsoever. I only know that it should work, because i've already had it working with ableton (i played plugins with the piano).

midi menu on the microstation has the following options:
*External setup > (and than you can flip between several external setups; i guess the former owner (i bought it second hand) had a lot of external instruments, it has things as 'moog' 'minilogue' 'cubase' 'fl studio' etc... really like 90 setups)>and then if you select an external instrument (bank), you can select 4 knobs.
*Midi filter
*Arp rtc midi
*seq midi out
*midi clock
*note recv> choiche between 'all', 'even', and 'odd'
*Convt (choice is: PreMIDI or PostMIDI)
*Local contrl (on or off)
*Channel: (and here I can choose a channel number, which is 01 by default)

I just don't see where in that menu I can find what you mean.

Thank you for the quick reply by the way!

Reaction score
Oh wow, i've already managed it now! I've searched for the user manual from the piano, and i had to do something there :) thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Congratulations and you're welcome.

Usually MIDI pianos without a display use the pushbuttons and the keyboard itself as the numeric buttons to manage these sorts of settings.

I'm very pleased to hear that you have it working now.

You honestly should be thankful that the menus on the Microstation don't run to deeply. That limits the number of paramters you have to screw with to finally get it working without hitting too many dead ends.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Congratulations and you're welcome.

Usually MIDI pianos without a display use the pushbuttons and the keyboard itself as the numeric buttons to manage these sorts of settings.

I'm very pleased to hear that you have it working now.

You honestly should be thankful that the menus on the Microstation don't run to deeply. That limits the number of paramters you have to screw with to finally get it working without hitting too many dead ends.

Gary ;)

Ah, you know more about the microstation? :D

Because I actually have some more questions, but I guess I would have to make a new topic for that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No need for a new topic. Post them here.

I'm no expert on the Microstation but MIDI keyboards in general have similarities which apply to most of them.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question