Need better Thunder/Rain effects - DGX 660

Reaction score
I've browsed through the DGX Datalist tried for thunder and rain effects.

So, I found a voice called Thunder, voice number 519. Pretty much all keys give thunder, just a bit different pitch between each. I also found that thunder can be rendered with 1 key in SFX Kit 1, voice number 165.

In the thunder voice, no way to get rain/showers. With the SFX Kit 1, there is 1 thunder, and 1 shower.

Goal is to be able to vary the thunder some at different places, and maybe have the shower be more intense in different places. (Working on Riders On The Storm).

The Problem: ALL thunders have an abrupt cutoff. It does not fade out. Hence, it's not very realistic.

I tried playing with the pedal, made no difference (surprised me). I tried changing the reverb type. None of this seems to help.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How about a keyboard split?

Thunder for a couple of octaves and the white noise rain effect on the remainder.

Gary. ;)

Reaction score
I actually had planned that for a couple of the other instruments in the piece I'm working on...to be able to have more instruments in the action, so to speak. Only 5 tracks to record to.

But in my first work on that, I found that the two instruments will not record to 1 track, even though they are played at the same time. So no benefit from that perspective.

The other thing is that would not address the issue with the abrupt end to the thunder.

[EDIT}
I just went in and played from the SFX kit while playing the recorded song. The abrupt ending of the thunder is not as noticible as I feared, while the music plays. But it does cut back on the effect some. I like the flexibility for thunder with the 519 thunder voice, but when I think about it, it is the same thunder, just different pitch.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or just use a software DAW and some WAV samples and overcome the limitations of the DGX line that way.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I may do that. I've been thinking about it. Did a short look for free SW to start, but then moved on.

I'm presuming one of the things a DAW would bring is more of a capability to fade in and out.

Related to the original topic, there is also a voice called Rain, in SG Synth Effects...in my case it does not play a rain sound. Pretty much sounds like piano.

@happyrat, I just subscribed. Took a quick look, and like it.

Ask a Question