New to this forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I have been musical my entire life. Basically self taught on guitar and piano ( did take lessons as a child). Mainly play by ear. I have written my own songs as well. 2 years ago, during pandemic, I joined an established (over 15 yrs) popular local rock and roll coverband. We have been doing well and have maintained a good following. Both the band members and fans have been saying that since the addition of our new female vocalist and myself, our sound has improved so much. Now they want to go "Next Level"
I currently use a Roland Juno DS 88 and a Yamaha PSR e433. As a second keyboard. I am looking for advise and direction on next steps for equipment investments. Do I need laptop and midi for live performanses? I would love to hear from the pros out there as I am new to this. I have only ever played for myself and close friends. Thanks in advance. I will look forward to chatting with you in this forum.

Reaction score
I'd like to understand why you think you need to add another keyboard to get to the 'next level'. What is it that the DS doesn't do well that prevents you from getting to the next level? As an example based on the music that you play you may need a killer hammond/leslie sound and maybe the DS may not provide that. Or you want to run a variety of VST's and you need a great midi controller and perhaps the DS is not strong in this area. Not sure because you never provided any requirements of what you're looking from a keyboard to do to get to the next level.

Sometimes its not the strength of the tools as much as it is the strength of the carpenter using the tools.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to understand why you think you need to add another keyboard to get to the 'next level'. What is it that the DS doesn't give you to get to the next level? You mentioned that your sound improved once you and the singer were added. Do you think that a new keyboard will make your sound even that much more improved? Remember, it's not the tools as much as it is the carpenter.
Thanks Good point! I'm not necessarily looking for a new Keyboard. I think what I'm mainly asking is, is there additional recommended components I would need or should look for? I know I haven't even reached maximizing the potential my Roland can offer. That is my current focus. Getting familiar with all of its capabilities..

Reaction score
Thanks Good point! I'm not necessarily looking for a new Keyboard. I think what I'm mainly asking is, is there additional recommended components I would need or should look for? I know I haven't even reached maximizing the potential my Roland can offer. That is my current focus. Getting familiar with all of its capabilities..
again, can't provide you that; I don't know what it is that you are looking for. What are your requirements?

Reaction score
I think I understand what you are saying. Perhaps its NOT more equipment I need. My main role since joining band has been using keys as a "filler" I have focused on learning their catalog of songs as well as more lead vocals but now they want more keys, But I cannot seem to find the right keyboard sounds for songs we want to play. I am still learning how to use Patches. Perhaps that will solve my problems. Like I said. I'm new to all of this so your input has made me stop and think. I know now the key lies in learning he functions of my keyboard inside and out. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pick up an Analog Synth or VA synth to fill in the gaps.

That's where you'll find the sounds of the 80's.

Take a look at adding a Behringer Deepmind 6 or 12.

Best bang for the buck in Analog.

Or a Roland Gaia, or a Novation Ultranova, or a Studiologic Sledge, dated but reliable in VA synths.

Other than that twiddle with the filter and envelope controls on your Juno DS, but they are limited.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the quickest way to learn anything musical on the interweb these days is to use the correct terms in Youtube's search engines.

Reaction score
Pick up an Analog Synth or VA synth to fill in the gaps.

That's where you'll find the sounds of the 80's.

Take a look at adding a Behringer Deepmind 6 or 12.

Best bang for the buck in Analog.

Or a Roland Gaia, or a Novation Ultranova, or a Studiologic Sledge, dated but reliable in VA synths.

Other than that twiddle with the filter and envelope controls on your Juno DS, but they are limited.

Gary ;)
Thanks. I appreciate it!

Reaction score
Here is an example of what I was referring to above when I asked "what are your requirements":

1670251418422.png

So now we know from the above:

• new or used is fine
  • he doesn't program patches typically, he uses delivered patches from the manufacturer
  • needs a strong piano, decent organ, EP's, strings (so he's more of a traditional retro type of a player). Since he's looking for a strong piano then probably 88 keys, but perhaps 76 works.
  • weight is important (he needs something lightweight)
  • keybed, probably weighted since the PX-5S was weighted
  • Liked the SV-1, but was too heavy, he liked the simplicity of the keyboard
Alot easier now to make suggestions based on his 'requirements'

Ask a Question