Old drummer learning new tricks...

Reaction score
Hi all, drummer and hack guitar player who's finally trying to learn piano after 30+ years. My goal is to increase my musical knowledge and become competent to play keys in a band setting, even if just for jamming. I love vintage synths, Hammond organ and the Fender Rhodes. Already feeling the GAS as I look ahead to upgrading my piano (Roland FP-10) and synth (Roland JD-Xi) game. But first I need to practice for 1,000 hours.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Funny enough when I was last in the local Music Store I asked about the FP10, my Grandson is after a DP for his studies.

How do you find yours?

Plenty of choice re GAS, and advice here on how to spend your cash.

Look in the Beginner section where you will find plenty of links to learning aids.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Funny enough when I was last in the local Music Store I asked about the FP10, my Grandson is after a DP for his studies.

How do you find yours?

Plenty of choice re GAS, and advice here on how to spend your cash.

Look in the Beginner section where you will find plenty of links to learning aids.
Without much basis of comparison, I would definitely recommend this for a beginner piano. Here’s my very brief and uneducated review:

The good: The progressively weighted keys and hammer action feel extremely realistic to me and it in no way seems like I’m playing a budget instrument. And while I’ve seen poor reviews of the speakers, they are plenty clear and loud for playing at home IMO. The unit is very compact and looks nice yet minimalist with the stand and bench, although these of course add $$$

The bad: The sounds are minimal and definitely sound like a budget entry level instrument. I’m assuming this is common at this price level although I know there are cheaper options with fully weighted keys.

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

Whilst a keyboard with more sounds might be better for the Grandson long term, I know that he is a faffer, he will spend more time on exploring rather than practicing.

So in his case less is more.

Ask a Question