Playing Keyboard Presets on Computer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is literally my last resort (please don't take that the wrong way lol). I feel like I've searched everywhere and cannot come up with a solution : ( .

This is what I want to accomplish: I want to be able to play the various presets/instruments/voices on my keyboard and have them--the notes I play AND their accompanying sound--load onto my computer thru my DAW software ableton live. Right now I have it set up so ableton recognizes and plays notes from my keyboard, but it only registers sounds that are included with Ableton--i.e. I have to click and drag an ableton preset onto the blank MIDI clip to get any sound from the notes I've recorded using my keyboard.

So essentially, I should be able to scroll thru my presets on the keyboard while listening to the different sounds thru headphones, then, when I want to record in ableton, I want ableton to play back the preset that I've selected on my keyboard. But! I don't want to record the audio version--like an acoustic guitarist would if he was playing. I just want my notes to go thru electronically from the keyboard to ableton via some sort of cable. (I currently have it set up using an AB usb cord that connects my Mac to my Keyboard).

Two people have suggested buying this: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface
but it seems like that is geared to recording AUDIO sounds.
Any suggestions?
Also, I'm new to all this stuff so sorry if my post is confusing and half the terms people use I don't even understand, so if you could explain jargonistic terms in your response I'd be very appreciative! = )
What I'm Using:
*Mac OSX 1.8.3
*Yamaha Workstation/Keyboard/Synthesizer MM6: http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/YAMMM6_Manual.pdf (link to its manual PDF)
*Ableton Live 9
*MIDIswing Freeware MIDI Sequencing Software (I can get my keyboard's presets to play thru this but I don't know if it's possible to get this software to link up with ableton live).
Please let me know if you need additional details, and thanks for your time!

Reaction score
You can't do what you want to do. You can trigger internal keyboard sounds by sending mini from the computer while you record the audio out of the keyboard back into a track in Ableton. Time to read up on midi and how it works. Don

Reaction score
Eh? If I've understood correctly, i do this all the time! Albeit with different gear (korg microstation and Cubase elements).

i set up a midi track, with the midi in from microstation, but also the midi out to the microstation. Then i also set up an audio track with the audio out from the microstation (so you do need an audio track, but you don't have to record it). Then i record the performance on the midi track.

When playing back the MIDI track i can switch sounds on the keyboard, then the midi track plays with that new sound. This achieves what you want to do? A recorded midi track which you can alter the sounds using sounds from your keyboard after the performance?

Reaction score
You said " I want to be able to play the various presets/instruments/voices on my keyboard and have them--the notes I play AND their accompanying sound--load onto my computer thru my DAW software ableton live."

You cannot load the internal keyboard sounds into your DAW via midi. Perhaps you can restate the question and someone else will understand. Don

Ask a Question