Best keyboard stool for playing while standing

Reaction score
I'm a singer/keyboard player in a band and often sing and play keyboard at the same time. That's why I prefer to stand while performing. So far, I've never used a stool, but now I would really like to find one for playing the keyboard while standing. I have seen a number possible candidates, some more affordable (under 100) and some a bit more challenging pricewise (200-300). Here are just two examples I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/Stage-DT8500-Guitar-Keyboard-Throne/dp/B0018TIAA4/
https://www.amazon.com/K-M-Stands-14047-Performance/dp/B004UEMY2O/

Can anyone give me some advice here? What type of stool do you use? I'm fairly tall so am looking for a stool high enough for me to sit on or lean against. A tiltable seat would be a pro, I guess (?). Also, I'm worried about the stool's base/legs getting in the way of my own feet (thinking about sustain/control pedals). I'm new to this forum, and any advice would be welcome.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've tried a number of stools over the years.

First off, I'd definitely recommend padded over non padded. Padded is a hell of a lot easier on the old tochis.

Secondly, I'd say if you're shopping around for a stool, take a look on your local craigslist. Right now a lot of people are moving and can't haul those things along with them. You should be able to find a suitable bar stool for around $15 or so.

And finally I have to say that in the end I gave up on using stools and now simply stand in front of my rig. If your rig is at all large and complex as mine is you'll find that a stool only gets in the way and impedes free and rapid movement between keys.

That's my $0.02 on the subject.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your tips! I will certainly search on craigslist and the likes. Basically, my rig is just two keyboards, one stack on top of the other (you may just make it out in my profile picture). I will certainly go for padded.

Cheers,
Herman

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome Herman.

Padded is definitely the way to go. Any half decent padded bar stool will do, just check the height, and it really won't add that much weight to your gear compared to the folding jobbies.

Some even swivel if you ever add more tiers to your left or right sides.

One final note BTW. If you do a lot of pedal work during your playing then a stool is pretty much useless for quick access to the pedals.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question