Recording on Yamaha DGX 660

tjw

Reaction score
Ok, I got "close" :)

You also have the option to save each layer as an independent .wav file. You will probably get to your desired result quicker (in terms of learning curve) -

but, MIDI is the ultimate way, I think.... you will have far more ability to control your result. The learning curve will be longer, but I think you'll find it to be worth the time and effort you spend on it.

Never say never..... you have the essential ingredient:

ladyfingers said:
I just want my music to sound the best that it can.

That's me, too. And, "the best that it can" is a higher bar with each thing learned.

I have a wonderful book "The Guide to MIDI Orchestration", author Paul Gilreath. It's a really good read, and the author is knowledgeable and understands the elemental presentation.

ladyfingers said:
someone playing with more talent

I'm in that boat, too. My fingers don't produce what I want to have in my product. MIDI is a golden tool for me, I can "fix" things :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I got "close" :)

You also have the option to save each layer as an independent .wav file. You will probably get to your desired result quicker (in terms of learning curve) -

but, MIDI is the ultimate way, I think.... you will have far more ability to control your result. The learning curve will be longer, but I think you'll find it to be worth the time and effort you spend on it.

Never say never..... you have the essential ingredient:

That's me, too. And, "the best that it can" is a higher bar with each thing learned.

I have a wonderful book "The Guide to MIDI Orchestration", author Paul Gilreath. It's a really good read, and the author is knowledgeable and understands the elemental presentation.
I'll look it up - thank you!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only "problem" with recording the MIDI is that it would get you only half of the way to your intended goal, since MIDI isn't audio.

It will definitely give you much more control over your recordings in terms of being able to correct any mistakes, change the tempo, insert or delete entire measures, transpose to a different key, display and print the music as sheet music, etc.

But after you've created your MIDI masterpiece you'll still need to use it to record your final audio masterpiece.

That can be easy-peasy if you've done it before, but the first few times-- especially the very first time-- could be difficult due to having to figure out what to do.

Also, if you're interested in going that route then I don't think GarageBand is going to cut it, because unless it's changed a lot since the last time I tinkered with it, its MIDI functionalities are limited compared to other DAWs.

Ask a Question