Replace broken key on my Yamaha MM8

Reaction score
Hello,
Can someone on this form provide information on how to replace a broken F# key on a Yamaha MM8? Youtube links or similar DIY info is fine.
The F# is in the middle of the board (go figure). Rather than the hassle of ordering a new key, having to wait for it etc etc, can't I just
replace it with an F# which is not used too often. (I'm thinking the highest F# on the board, which has 88 keys)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'd check the ElektroTanya site to see if they have the Service Manual available. I'm not sure how the MM8's keys are assembled, but on some models-- especially the ones that have "diving board" synth-style keys-- the keys are grouped together by octave and type of key rather than being separate, individual keys. So you should be able to swap out the key as you suggested, either as individual F# keys or as a group of black keys.

Reaction score
Thank you SeaGtGruff,
I watched several tutorials on the subject about broken keys on an MM8. From everything I observed, it appears to be a quite an undertaking.(Not only are the keys in octave ",groups" so to speak-like you had mentioned. It also involves detaching ribbons, which must be done with a surgeon's percision, unscrewing a part of the PC board, the yh ton loosening the metal bracket behind the contact strip, ,(I know Im missing something, lol,,)
I'm not a technician, I'm a performer on a tight budget. I don't have the savvy's to do that. The guys in the videos made it look easy because their livelihoods are likely in the field of IT/computer electronics. I can't try this at home, (unless I don't mind a non functioning keyboard by my own hand lol). My question is, can you or anyone here provide me with a ball park estimate as to how much it will cost to have someone whose qualified repair the broken key on my Yamaha MM8?
Thank you

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't have any idea. Is there a musical instrument retailer in your area that you can call to see if they can give you any advice on who to contact?

Reaction score
[/QUOTE
I've checked with several.outlets in my area. All have said the same thing "Well, we would need you to bring it in so we could look at it". Then, of course, comes ,"that'll be $50
My keyboard mechanic will source and swap out a broken key for approx AUD100.
___
$100 Dollars? I'm in Denver CO in the USA. Not sure what
AUD 100 mean in relation to USA currency

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
AUD means Australian dollars. Worth about $0.60 or $0.70 USD each.

Prices will vary with the cost of living on your part of the planet.

Typical tech prices for that kind of work are between $75 and $120 per hour in local currency. It's about an hour's work for an experienced tech. Plus parts, plus taxes.

Gary;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
If you need to spend $100 on a repair then then you need to ask yourself is the unit worth it. High end units for performance then absolutely yes! But if the keyboard is only valued at $500 or less then you would be better to spend the $100 on an upgrade.
Ray

Ask a Question