RIP Numa Compact 2x

Reaction score
Turned it on, hit a chord and zilch, na da, nowt, it went dark

Power supply is OK.

Does not now turn on.

Whilst I like the keybed I just do not gel with the rest of the unit so I have been struggling all day, do I open it up and see what is what or just dump it?

If I dump it what do I replace it with?

Reaction score
Check to see if the keyboard powers up over USB. (Speakers won't work in that config, but it might narrow down where the problem is, as well as giving you a way to continue to use it, albeit without speakers.)

Something to replace it? Well, nothing else really has its exact combination of features, so which of these are most important to you?

How many keys, minimum?
How much travel weight, maximum?
Speakers needed?
Aftertouch needed?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Power supply is OK.

Does not now turn on.

Whilst I like the keybed I just do not gel with the rest of the unit so I have been struggling all day, do I open it up and see what is what or just dump it?

Sorry to hear that Col.

It sounds to me like some sort of fusible link has blown internally.

It might be worth paying for the repair.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Dump it ?? Don't dump it.
This is a classy instrument and quite expensive!
Sorry to hear that it has failed you.
I trust a quick and inexpensive fix could be the outcome if you follow Gary's and Scott's advice.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Dump it ?? Don't dump it.
This is a classy instrument and quite expensive!
Sorry to hear that it has failed you.
I trust a quick and inexpensive fix could be the outcome if you follow Gary's and Scott's advice.
Good luck.
It is not really a classy instrument.

The semi weighted keybed has a nice feel to it but the controls are all very flimsy and the sliders do not line up very well.

It is an instrument that was made as cheaply as possible and by using components sourced via the cheapest tenderer.

Whilst the Organ tones are pretty good the rest is only just acceptable.

I’ll first take out the power input module and see it it is a switch issue.

Reaction score
Damn n Blast.

Managed to get the Numa onto the table and the power module/connection panel removed.

Strong smell of burnt components in the main body of the keyboard.

First though, I connected up the power brick and connected the Multi meter to the two power terminal connector pins that feed the internal circuit boards, 12v DV showing across the pins, and the On/Off switch works just fine.

So sometime in the next day or so I’ll open it up.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I love the way mine sounds and plays. It's a decent stage piano with all the bread and butter sounds and also a really trippy VA synth with aftertouch.

But I agree with Col that it is very cheesy in construction and I doubt it would survive a month on tour from venue to venue.

And I wouldn't call it pricey.

Comparable to a high end Casio in price and way better sounding.

Reaction score
I’m in severe pain!!!!

I had time to kill this afternoon so called in at my favourite Music Store.

Got my grubby (figuratively speaking) hands on a new Korg Pa5X and am mightily impressed.

The solo sounds are amazing but then I tried using the Keyboard Set (layered sounds so a bit like a Combi or Scene) and they are so bright and vibrant, blows Yamaha into the dark ages, the Sales guy was demo’ing a Genos so I got a direct comparison.

The Acoustic Grands even have pedal noise, and all the factory Keyboard Sets have Fx, Eq and Filters applied. Yes you can mod them and save to a User bank but for getting playing right out of the box it could not be better.

Whilst its OS is still a WIP with it being completely new the features and functions that are with the latest update will now do me nicely.

So now my wallet is causing me much pain as I want one.

All I have to do is convince the Mrs that it is a Must Have and it will be my last keyboard.

Watch this space and if I do not return I can probably be found living in a cardboard box under the Railway arches or buried in a shallow grave in the woods.

Wish me luck.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Just go and buy it mate! Bite the bullet!
Okay! You will be in the doghouse. But just for a short period. You can grin and bear it 'cause you know you will be missed.. It's your charm and charisma.
"Darling, I love You♡ Please forgive me for being so harsh. Come and play me a tune on your new keyboard"
😂 LOL

Reaction score

Power supply is OK.

Does not now turn on.

Some candidates to replace it would be Yamaha CK o YC, Nord Stage or Roland VR09b.

Ask a Question