Roland VR 730 Issue

Reaction score
I’ve got a Roland VR730 that I’ve have for about a year and a half now. Just recently I’ve been experiencing an issue where when it gets hot (I.e. when playing outdoors in Florida) some of my keys stop working. It’s quite odd because there’s a pattern to the keys that stop working, my lowest E then up the keyboard it goes C G# C E etc all the way to my high C. I’ve already had a contact strip go bad on it and because it starts working normally once it cools down I don’t think that is the issue. Any ideas as to what might be the cause would be appreciated. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Out in the Florida sun a black keyboard can reach temperatures exceeding 160 F.

This is way beyond the operating specs of most electronic devices.

You are shortening the life of your keyboard.

Stop playing without A/C.

Otherwise it will fry permanently one day. *POOF!*

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Temps in Florida in the shade can easily reach over 100 F

Basically it's not a good idea to run computerized electronic equipment in any environment over 80 F

Adding an internal fan to the keyboard might help the chips run cooler.

The chips generally have a max operating temp of about 100 C or 212 F

When operating in ambient temps over 80 F the chips heat up quick internally and trouble follows.

Figure out some way to blow cool air thru the inside of the keyboard case and you might stand a chance.

Basically though, these things are not really designed to operate in harsh outdoor environments.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I’ve got a Roland VR730 that I’ve have for about a year and a half now. Just recently I’ve been experiencing an issue where when it gets hot (I.e. when playing outdoors in Florida) some of my keys stop working. It’s quite odd because there’s a pattern to the keys that stop working, my lowest E then up the keyboard it goes C G# C E etc all the way to my high C. I’ve already had a contact strip go bad on it and because it starts working normally once it cools down I don’t think that is the issue. Any ideas as to what might be the cause would be appreciated. Thanks!

I’m fairly certain that when operating in
the hot environment the internal temperature of your keyboard will go well above the operating max temperature
of the internal components. I would recommend to install a throughflow fan to
draw air in at one end of the keyboard and discharge it at the other. Keeping the internals below about 60C is vital as most
components inc microprocessor, ic, etc are
not specified to operate above this temperature.

Ask a Question