Roland VR-09 sound problems

Reaction score
Hi fellow VR-09 ers. This is my first post as I've just joined the forum. I need some info for my ROLAND Vr-09 which I use regularly on stage with a Yamaha 9000 pro. The VR-09 sometimes emits a horrendous bass bang in which I cannot find the cause for. My band puts my keys through front of house and the system varies according to the venue. In that we have large bass bins, mids and tops and we use these as required. For example, a smaller venue may not require the bass bins. To that effect we run on mids and tops. This bass banging is really bad and punishes everyone. I have tried adjusting EQ to no avail. Incidentally, I do not suffer any problems with the Yamaha in the same way and the two boards are connected with one midi lead which allows the use of my Yamaha FC7 expression pedal to control both keyboards through one pedal. Has anyone suffered the same problems as me and if so any ideas on a remedy.
Up against the Yamaha, I find the Roland to have a terribly inferior Key bed. It almost acts sometimes in a kind of switching action and sometimes the volume is unpredictable. This is spoiling an otherwise good little stage board and almost making me decide to bale out from Roland to something that I can rely on. Any ideas lads, any help greatfully received.
Incidentally, if anyone is interested, I've heard a lot of moans about no music stand for the VR-09 despite there being two holes in the back for one. Wrong everyone! There is a stand. It's around the £30 mark and it's the Roland BK3 stand that fits perfectly. I know because I have one. Most decent dealers can supply or as usual have a good trawl round the internet. Happy music to you all

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi fellow VR-09 ers. This is my first post as I've just joined the forum. I need some info for my ROLAND Vr-09 which I use regularly on stage with a Yamaha 9000 pro. The VR-09 sometimes emits a horrendous bass bang in which I cannot find the cause for. My band puts my keys through front of house and the system varies according to the venue. In that we have large bass bins, mids and tops and we use these as required. For example, a smaller venue may not require the bass bins. To that effect we run on mids and tops. This bass banging is really bad and punishes everyone. I have tried adjusting EQ to no avail. Incidentally, I do not suffer any problems with the Yamaha in the same way and the two boards are connected with one midi lead which allows the use of my Yamaha FC7 expression pedal to control both keyboards through one pedal. Has anyone suffered the same problems as me and if so any ideas on a remedy.
Up against the Yamaha, I find the Roland to have a terribly inferior Key bed. It almost acts sometimes in a kind of switching action and sometimes the volume is unpredictable. This is spoiling an otherwise good little stage board and almost making me decide to bale out from Roland to something that I can rely on. Any ideas lads, any help greatfully received.
Incidentally, if anyone is interested, I've heard a lot of moans about no music stand for the VR-09 despite there being two holes in the back for one. Wrong everyone! There is a stand. It's around the £30 mark and it's the Roland BK3 stand that fits perfectly. I know because I have one. Most decent dealers can supply or as usual have a good trawl round the internet. Happy music to you all

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I use a vr09 for organ in a pink floyd tribute band..Ive learned not to have your foot on sustain peddle when changing programs.it takes a micro sec to change its programs..not as smooth as yamaha for quiet changed. I mix my keys though 6 ch mixer before it goes to the house..vr09 always takes extra vol mix compared to yam and nord..but for 900 bucks *Iam not complainin

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hi Rick, Thanks for your reply, I had noticed that you have to be careful how you use the sustain pedal on the
VR 09. I have re adjusted the leakage settings for organ as I noticed a specific background distortion that was not relevant to settings required. This seems to have solved that problem but I still have a problem when pianos are used. I've decided to use pianos on the Yam only and on the last gig this seemed to be the safest solution.
I am fast losing interest in th VR 09 which I thought would be a good gigging board. To me it seems only half way there as far as the sounds go it's pretty good but with the key action there is a lot to be desired. It acts like a switching on my board on pianos which is when it emits a kind of Bass bang type of noise like a small explosion.
I also like yourself put my signal to an 8 channel mixer from which I send a signal to the house mix and I get an aux return for the rest of the band for vocal monitoring. I also use a single midi from YAm out to VR 09 in.
This gives me volume and expression control with a Yamaha FC7 Exp Pedal to both boards instead of using two.
I will say that the response on the VR is nothing like the Yam but at the very least I can control th volume on the VR which at times is unpredictable depending on which sound you are using. I seem to always be ready for that left side volume control on the VR. No doubt I will find a solution eventually but it may involve a change of board if I am still not confident in the VR' s funny little quirks. Against the Yam the quality is no match.
Thanks again Rick and Happy Music to you.

Ask a Question