Rush... how do they do it?

Reaction score
Anyone a fan of Rush?

It appears they have 3 members. Yet when I listen there are definitely at least 4 instruments!! Drums, bass, guitar and synth. How do they do it??

I wondered if maybe the bass or guitar player switched off on the synth. But there are definitely passages where all 4 instruments are playing.

I spose they could overdub in the studio. But what about playing live? Do they hire an extra musician?

Puzzled fans want to know.

Reaction score
Hi Laura I too love Rush, Neil Pert is an awesome drummer. I'm thinking the guitarist probably uses a guitar synth to add the extra texture to their songs, in same way as U2 does, lots of fx's and added gear...another ol' group who has been doing this live for along time is ZZ Top, 3 piece band that has a real full sound live. Canada has produced some top rock bands and I think Rush is at the top of the list!

Reaction score
i think that thats just the matrix rolling in the back.. prerecorded keyboards..

Yeah, I know you can do anything in the recording studio but what about live performances! Do they set up a sequencer & just let it roll? (dangerous. We saw what happened when Van Halen did that.)

Reaction score
you could say that, although i think it's beat sensitive, or at least controled by the guy behind the mix table..

Reaction score
Get the Rush DVD R30. You will learn a lot on how Geddy does his work. If you ever want a complete run down and history of how Rush makes their sound I can explain. I'm a Rush fanatic!!!

Ask a Question