Stage presence

Reaction score
I wasn't gonna post this, but it's probably about time I did. My band leader bought me a Keytar and instructions to learn Whip It. I skipped the 'tar and setup the whole thing to play on a Nintendo Wii Remote. Stupid as hell, but I'm sure Mark Mothersbaugh would approve. Here's a really crappy handheld video of part of it. The keyboard notes are low, but you get the idea:

This is setup through Max/MSP, bluetooth tethered to my laptop. The whip sound is cued via accelerometer, the "wind up" through the trigger button, and then the 5 keyboard notes (yes, there are only 5 notes in the entire song), are the 5 main face buttons. I now don a proper energy dome, though it kinda sucks because I can't dance around (falls off). I usually throw it out to the audience and stage dive. I think I'm going to trade it up for a Fez, for some reason that seems fitting. Broke my ankle once performing this.

Reaction score
Haha, awesome use of the technology available! Maybe still pick up the keytar for other pieces. :)

Reaction score
Absolutely! I tend to use it on all the cheesy 80s hits when I don't have to play two handed (Power of Love, Cure, some Journey)... or virtually any time I get bored. It's wireless and mirrored into my main board, so I can just grab it and go without having to worry about different patch layout.

22406271_10100432046122944_3293709055648613257_n.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah, sweet! I thought you didn't already have one and they wanted you to buy one, but now I understand. It sounds like you have all the tech worked out just right.

Reaction score
Here is a group that has been doing things for a few years, but they play to their own strengths. They tend to highlight a band members skills to get the audience involved.

This can work with any band member or all of them, anytime through the gig.

Reaction score
That's fun! Love that kind schtick. I reach over and do some cymbal crashes at times, or kick a cymbals with my foot during a big fill, but nothing like this! Oh, my bass player and I switch off here and there, but we've never made a big thing about it, we should turn it into a little skit where I steal his bass, and he slinks off and starts playing my board.

Reaction score
That's what I think makes you differnet than just a covers or dance band. You become entertainment and YOU enjoy the night, and it rubs off on others (the audience) too.

Reaction score
Hey,

I currently play in a band that plays mostly covers. We get a fair bit of work but bands that are nowhere near as good as us technically get more work than us. The difference, as far as i can see is stage presence.

I'm the keyboard player and for the sake of my own playing career, i've started to think about my own presence. I also sing backing vocals and lead on a few songs. I have a 2 tier setup and tend to sit down when playing piano and stand up when playing my synth. We play a wide range of songs like rock, pop, standards, jazz, dance.

I recently recorded myself at home and basically i look like someone has just died when i'm playing, i don't even crack a smile lol.

What tips would you give to someone trying to improve their (or have some) stage presence? What pianists/keyboardists would you recommend watching for tips and ideas?

For some people this is as natural as breathing, for others not so much; but it *can* be learned/cultivated.

By the way, I wouldn't lament too much about what you see when you are recording yourself at home. Go watch live footage of your band playing ad use that as your baseline.

1) To start with, you can only improve your stage presence if and when you are at least somewhat comfortable with your material technically (at the time at least). If you are 100% totally wrapped up in playing your instrument then its difficult to carve off energy and attention to doing anything else. Do you know your parts? Well enough to NOT look at your hands. If not, rehearse until you can play at least some of your parts and focus your attention elsewhere.
2) You can start by doing small things: smile. Are you having fun? Then let it show. If you're not having fun then "fake it til you make it". You don't need to go full on "I look like I am high" happy, but make a note to look around and smile. At your bandmates to start with if audience interaction isn't your thing. Hell if you use cheat sheets, make little notes to remind yourself to smile, look around etc.
3) Small gestures, bob your head a little to the music. Are you playing a signature piece in a song? Ham it up a little, play with a little flourish.
4) On songs where you sing lead, try introducing the song (if that fits in the set flow), introduce a solo if there is one. Even a well placed "hoot/holler" when someone nails a solo will help the stage and audience energy.
5) Obviously if you sit its a bit harder - being the lead singer (or co lead singer as I have been in the current and previous band) I have always stood up -but definitely consider standing on songs that you sing lead on. If you *are* sitting, maybe make an extra effort to at least "feel the music" as you play, boib your head move your upper body/shoulders to the music, etc.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
What I look in a performer is how intensely into the music they are, visually and physically. And the biggest one, IMO, is whether they are engaged with each other. Nothing is better than seeing a bunch of guys who are constantly playing off each other, feeding off their energy, making eye contact, and feeling the rush of each-other's playing.

I like to tell people that I play live like I'm driving a car: I focus on the road (audience), the wheel (my instrument), but then circulate between looking to the side and rear views every so often (my mates). If we all do that, and connect at certain times, it makes for a great rush that we can feed off of, and the audience loves it too. Don't concern yourself too much with making contact with the audience—that's largely the lead's responsibility, although there's nothing wrong with it either—the most important thing that moves the audience is to see and feel that you're into it and connecting with each-other on stage. As long as the lead vocalist or someone (lead guitarist) is giving the audience direct attention at most times, then they can sort of act as a "lens" for the rest of the group's energy.

Don't be afraid of moving too much. Yes, they teach you it can be distracting (mostly for concert music) but really 90% of musicians have trouble being too wooden than too energetic. Rock 'n Roll is dance music, so it's natural to groove a bit. Keep the beat going with your body... don't be afraid to LOSE IT a little during a big punk or metal number. And I *ALWAYS* stand, I can't even imagine doing what we do sitting down. That's why Jerry and Little Richard could only stay in their seats for so long!

NOTE: I did play in a metal band for a while who felt like it was their job to stand there like a pole and look pissed off. WE SUCKED LIVE. Don't do it. I don't care if you're the most emo/goth group in the world, if you don't look like you're engaged, the audience won't be either.

Finally: Schtick. It works. I have a keytar that I break out for easy, cheesy 80s stuff. It's wireless and just mirrors my main rig, so I can grab it any time it feels right. I have an accordion for Irish Punk numbers, and a $150 plastic trumpet that I use for Motown, Cake, and whatever. The bass player also plays some keys, so we actually switch-off mid-song (American Girl), and then I play bass for a few tunes. Over time we've worked out some haphazard choreography and skits. I get into a fake fight with the drummer during Jessie's Girl. Nice thing about playing keys in rock is that it's a color instrument, and not 100% necessary all the time, so if you have some other instrument that you play a little of, that you'd be otherwise playing on samples, consider adding that in to your bag of tricks. It's a great visual gag that plays well with the audience and adds some dynamics to the performance. Play a little Recorder? Stairway to Heaven. Harmonica? Train in Vain (Clash). Violin? Baba O'Riley or Come on Eieleen. Sax/Brass: Motown, oldies, etc. It doesn't even need to be the original instrument. I grab the trumpet for Careless Whisper and many synth leads. Plus it's fun for me, and when I'm having fun, some of that will rub off on the audience.

As the evening gets really underway, don't be afraid to get a little crazy. Play something easy that you barely know, jump off stage and play in the audience, get really physical with the music. Live a bit on the edge... and even if it doesn't work out, you and the audience can have a big laugh.
Great post and totally on point!

Reaction score
I wasn't gonna post this, but it's probably about time I did. My band leader bought me a Keytar and instructions to learn Whip It. I skipped the 'tar and setup the whole thing to play on a Nintendo Wii Remote. Stupid as hell, but I'm sure Mark Mothersbaugh would approve. Here's a really crappy handheld video of part of it. The keyboard notes are low, but you get the idea:

This is setup through Max/MSP, bluetooth tethered to my laptop. The whip sound is cued via accelerometer, the "wind up" through the trigger button, and then the 5 keyboard notes (yes, there are only 5 notes in the entire song), are the 5 main face buttons. I now don a proper energy dome, though it kinda sucks because I can't dance around (falls off). I usually throw it out to the audience and stage dive. I think I'm going to trade it up for a Fez, for some reason that seems fitting. Broke my ankle once performing this.

This made me inordinately happy LOL

Awesome!

Reaction score
Absolutely! I tend to use it on all the cheesy 80s hits when I don't have to play two handed (Power of Love, Cure, some Journey)... or virtually any time I get bored. It's wireless and mirrored into my main board, so I can just grab it and go without having to worry about different patch layout.

22406271_10100432046122944_3293709055648613257_n.jpg
LOL Yes having a keytar helps - full disclosure: that is me in my avatar :)

Ask a Question