Synthesis with 5 filters on Roland Juno DS?

Reaction score
When looking at the Manual, the Juno DS can achieve sound synthesis by using up to 5 different serial filters in Performance Mode, two in series by using the TMT structure 2 and three more filters using MFX structure 11-16. Juno DS could achieve different combinations of parallel/serial filtering using other TMT and MFX structures. Can Juno DS realy process sound through 5 filters? I don't have the Juno DS and would like to get confirmation from people who have it. Thank you.

Reaction score
No. I am just afraid of misunderstanding the Manual. Sound sculpting with 5 filters in different configurations is a lot of sound sculpting for the money, compared with twice the price of more expensive models from Roland. Could you confirm that Juno DS can process a Performance through 5 filters? Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I used to own a Juno DS88 but my sound sculpting was limited to a few tweaks of the resonance and cutoff knobs.

Generally speaking any keyboard has a limited number of DSP FX blocks.

How you can configure them is dependent on what the board allows.

I can say with authority that the DS is a very playable, tweakable board with a hell of a lot of value for the money and compares favorably to boards costing twice as much.

If you need any more convincing I'd suggest finding one in a store and taking it for a test drive.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Can you say "with authority" that the DS can be configured to process a sound with 5 filters?

Reaction score
No. MFX can be a filter. According to Manual a MFX can be a type called a Super Filter . Thre MFX Superfilters+ two serial filters from TMT 2 equals five filters. I don't know if I understand the Manual correctly, so I need somebody "with authority" who owns a DS to confirm.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's not really much point in stacking filters. You can have either a low pass, a high pass, a notch filter or a bandpass filter, and there's also a comb filter which really has no use in audio.

In practice if you combine two or more filters you effectively nullify the entire signal.

Why on earth would you want to stack 5 filters?

I could see possibly applying multiple filters to individual voices in a superlayer but you still only have 5 dsp blocks to play with.

I cannot understand any earthly need to apply such a combination in real life.

It's still a ROMpler, not a VA synth. If you want to play with sound design, get a Sequential Take5 or Prophet.

The DS is a nice, little, all around, bread and butter synth.

It's not a MOOG.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I don't need to stack all 5, I just want to know if it can be done. Btw, with 5 filters you could emulate the Moog Resonator from the Poly Moog or 1/2 of the Moog 907 Fixed Filter Bank from the Moog Modular. Both devices deliver great sonic variety.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Again! This is a SIMPLE ROMpler with a few snazzy fx, sampling and a rinky dink step sequencer.

It's NOT a frigging MOOG!

Reaction score
No. I am just afraid of misunderstanding the Manual.
A reasonable fear. :)

There's not really much point in stacking filters. You can have either a low pass, a high pass, a notch filter or a bandpass filter, and there's also a comb filter which really has no use in audio.

In practice if you combine two or more filters you effectively nullify the entire signal.
That's not true. Filters have "curves." If you stacked, for example, two 12-db low pass filters starting at different cutoff frequencies, you'd have a roll-off curve that could not be duplicated by either filter alone. Even more the case if one of the two filters is 12 dB and the other is 24. A simple application there would be to have a gentle roll-off to one frequency, and then a sharper roll-off from that point on.

Most Moogs would not be able to do this, btw, except the modular ones, where you could choose to buy as many filter modules of whatever sort as you may want.

Back to the OP, I don't know the answer, it's nothing I've ever looked into, but also keep in mind that, a filter as an "effect" is not quite the same as a filter earlier in the signal path, since it will be applied to all the notes at once, and not each note individually, which will also become more relevant if you start thinking about how you could normally apply envelopes to the filters.

Disclaimer: This is all theoretical on my part, as I have never done any of this in practice. It's just based on my understanding of filters in general.

Reaction score
"a filter as an "effect" is not quite the same as a filter earlier in the signal path". A good observation from somebody "with authority". Is the abovementioned Moog Resonator a per-note or a system effect?

Reaction score
"a filter as an "effect" is not quite the same as a filter earlier in the signal path". A good observation from somebody "with authority". Is the abovementioned Moog Resonator a per-note or a system effect?

Cool box... and you can get a VST emulation of it! https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/vintage-resonator#description

Yes, that box would be the equivalent of a system effect, it would apply to the entire signal coming in simultaneously, and not independently to the individual notes of a polyphonic source.

Ask a Question