Synthesizer suggestion for expiermental music

Reaction score
Hey guys. This could almost be called a repost, but it's a follow-up on my post in the General thread. elwoodblues1969 helped me out a bunch.

My thread dealt mainly with what type of sythesizer to purchase. I'm looking in the $400-600 (perhaps a bit more, but hopefully not.) The style of music I am wanting could be compared to Dark Side of the Moon (On the Run song, Any colour you like, etc.) and other "space" type sounds.

Elwood suggested that a good beginner keyboard would be the Roland-201. At first I was very excited and it seems to be what I'm looking for. However, I've done some further research, and I hear a lot of complaints on the web about this particular synthesizer. Many of the complaints are with the cheapness of the plastic frame and keys. Granted, $600 isn't an expensive synthesizer, however $600 doesn't seem worth a "Casio" type of cheap-plastic either.

Besides the "plasticy" and fragile build, I've heard complaints about it sounding "too digital" and making "zipper" noises. I have no idea what this means, but if someone could enlighten me that would be great. And the last complaint is that it's velocity sensitive, not pressure. This I could deal with I believe.

The other synthesizer he suggested was the Clavia Nord Lead 2X. I checked this out on various sites, and it gets pretty good reviews. I'm actually beginning to lean this way. The only factor here is cost. Has anyone seen good deals on ebay for these? I didn't see any up for auction, only buy now. I'm really not too frightened when it comes to buying off ebay, I guess I just haven't learned my lesson yet :)

Lastly, if anyone else has any further suggestions for a suitable synthesizer for me, let me know. Like I said, I'm willing to pay $400-600 tops, perhaps slightly a bit more, but I don't think I can reach $1,000, no way. I'm looking for space-type, experimental sounds to complement my music, as well as some good sounds for synthesizer free-styling or solos. I will also be recording my music soon too (Fire pod, Sonar software,) so user-friendly synthesizers for computer recording is a must.

In the end, I may get the Roland SH-201. Despite it's bad reviews on some sites, it still gets average reviews. And perhaps it will be a good beginners synthesizer, which it does look like it has decent capabilities. It just seems somewhat sad to get such a toy-like object for $600, when my cheap Casio from Wal Mart weighs more. I guess size and build doesn't matter, it's what's inside :)

Any further help, direction or anything would be of great help!

Reaction score
Hey nexus,
I have an sh-201, and despite what those reviews say it is not a complete piece of shit. It is very light when you pick it up and in this sense feels cheap, but it does have some rad sounds on it too. I actually like the feel of the keys a lot, despite what i have heard about it.

Its capabilities are not too intense compared to some other synths, but the cool thing about it is that everything is layed out in front of you in an easy to follow path. It also has some rad features, like the d-beam and a bunch of blinking colorful lights, which makes it look rad when you are playing in the dark (lol). It has some awesome pads on it, and thats the main thing i use it for. There are also some really powerful lead sounds on it, which destroys my korg.

I bought it because it was in my price range, and i had no idea what i was doing and just wanted to mess around with synthesis. Now that I know a lot more about this stuff (a year later), Its still an awesome synth with sore great patches, but i also know that its definately not the most capable synth. My next synth will hopefully be an acces virus ti, but thats like 3000 bux.

In short, if you are a beginner and have no idea how to use a synth, i would strongly recommend it. And it sounds like you are in the same situation I was in. I have no regrets on buying this thing.

Oh yeah, if you havent already, go down to guitar center and play around with this thing and other synths. I would never buy any keyboard without playing it first, just because i might just not like the feel of it, etc.

Reaction score
My thread dealt mainly with what type of sythesizer to purchase. I'm looking in the $400-600 (perhaps a bit more, but hopefully not.) The style of music I am wanting could be compared to Dark Side of the Moon (On the Run song, Any colour you like, etc.) and other "space" type sounds.

Elwood suggested that a good beginner keyboard would be the Roland-201.

Hi!
Cheap synths, hmmm. I went thru all this a month ago. I didn't see the one you mention. The main choices were the Roland Juno-D and the Yamaha MM6. I actually started with a used Roland RS50 but I took it back because I found it didn't have a sequencer, i.e. the ability to record a few tracks & play along with self. Since I'm just learning to play, I felt this was an important point.

The Roland Juno D was probably OK but I don't think it had that ability either. The guy at Guitar Center said it was mostly for "club-type sounds". So if I felt like learning the Moonlight Sonata, it might not be the one to use.

I ended up with the Yamaha MM6. What attracted me was that it had so many great sounds of such a variety. Also you can record tracks w/yourself (very handy even though I also have cubase for serious stuff) and the tweak knobs (cutoff, resonance etc) are on the left, good for a right hander.

The only serious limitation this thing has is the 32 note polyphony. Also it does not have the portamento effect, which Dream Theater uses.

But it does have a large library of great sounds, including the trancey club patches and those spacey sounds which I also like.

After I bought it I saw one of those Rolands you mention at Guitar Center. I was like "hmm, maybe this would have been cooler?" But when I played with it, I got the impression it didn't have a wide variety of voices. It seems like it would be great for that hip-hop, trancey kind of music but not as good for other types, such as simple piano music. Reading the specs I'm not sure if you can record tracks either.

For this price, it seems you can have either lots of voices, lots of effects, a sequencer...but not all 3.

As far as the weight issue... yeah, the MM6 is very light!!! I appreciate that, especially after I bought an amp that was about 3 X as heavy. I have a bad back.

Good luck!!

Reaction score
Regarding the cheap synths.
I looked up the Roland SH 201.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=769

This site lets you zoom in. It has some VERY cool effects and things like portamento, and yeah it does have a recorder. I didn't see any patches though! Surely it has patches...

Also it only has 49 keys, if that's an issue.

Now if I could pick up one of these used and hook it up to my MM6 and get the functionality of BOTH of them.... I'd have one hell of a great setup!!

Does anyone know if that's possible?

Reaction score
you should consider the roland juno d

I use it as an external midi device in my big rig, its ceap enough and has some great sounds, not sure f it in your budget but to be honest its hard to get a deasent proper synth for thaat money

Reaction score
you should consider the roland juno d

I use it as an external midi device in my big rig, its ceap enough and has some great sounds, not sure f it in your budget but to be honest its hard to get a deasent proper synth for thaat money

A friend is trying to buy me an Alesis Micron on ebay! The Alesis has lots of effects, like Portamento (my favorite) and a phrase capture. Hoping when I hook it up to my MM6 via midi or audio, I'll have those effects at my fingertips!

Reaction score
cause they are just not as good as the rest!!!!!

Guitar Center had a MicroKorg and an Alesis Micron next to each other. I played them and the mKorg was just "okay" and the Alesis M just blew me away, it sounded so awesome. Plus it had an awesome "latch" phrase capture that I haven't seen in any other small synth.

Craigslist was selling a MKorg for $200 but I held out for the Alesis on ebay auction for $279. I've learned that when there is something specific you want, don't settle for anything else.

Reaction score
they are both really unimpressive keyboard, they are gimicis..... and a loop function is really just for solo gigs (more for guitarists) and really unpractical in a band situation, both keyboards are a good addition to a big rig..but pointless alone!!!!

Reaction score
they are both really unimpressive keyboard, they are gimicis..... and a loop function is really just for solo gigs (more for guitarists) and really unpractical in a band situation, both keyboards are a good addition to a big rig..but pointless alone!!!!

this would be my 2nd keyboard. I wouldn't use it with my band... who needs to loop your own riffs when there are bass, drums & guitar?

But I do like to play along with myself and record just for fun. (my band isn't into that trancey/psychedelic/prog stuff.) So the more riffs I can set up, the better. (I am really liking the pattern/rhythms on my yamaha.)

I always preferred to play with others, but if i can't find others into the stuff I like, then I want instruments where I can set up accompanyment to myself.

Just playing guitar all by myself got boring. That's why I started Keys.:)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just noticed the "Dream" in your sig.

Is this a hint of what's coming down the pipe?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, and some of them are from usenet newsgroups! :)

Don't worry-- when you're thinking of buying a synth that was manufactured in 2000-2001, and find yourself replying to posts from 2007-2008, you're actually talking to people 7 years in the future! ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
From the far distant future of 2016, it's good to see some decent real analog synths coming back. But so far, nothing that matches the Alesis Andromeda or the Oberheim Matrix 12. But if people buy the new analog synths that are coming out now, perhaps these will be replicated, too. Alesis is still in business, so they should be able to start up the production line again. Oberheim? I don't know if Tom Oberheim has the financial wherewithal to recreate the Matrix 12. He's having enough work just getting the OB-6 and the Two Voice back into production.

Just noticed that Dave Smith is still producing synths. I wonder how the Prophet 12 compares to the old school beasts.

Ask a Question