The New XK5

Reaction score
How do I access the software version? The owners manual isn't much help, also, can I upload the update to the flash drive that came with the XK-5?

Reaction score
Righto! Hit the Menu/Exit button and then arrow up until you reach the "F" page.
Here's a video showing how to do that:

Reaction score
I did the update, found it on the Facebook XK-5 Users page. So far so good, no more noise freakouts anyway, the preset indicator lights seem to work differently now.

Reaction score
I did the update, found it on the Facebook XK-5 Users page. So far so good, no more noise freakouts anyway, the preset indicator lights seem to work differently now.
Not a complete cure as it turns out, will still go to full white noise on the U84 patch on occasion and another patch, U75, sometimes has a unique static effect that I am sure wasn't planned for. I talked to Ray at Hammond who said that this update from Japan is not authorized (others feel differently) and is some kind of bootleg. They are sending me a thumb drive with an updated system on it but it sounds like they are still working out the bugs. My ears are still ringing after the initial blast, going to have the VA check me out on Wednesday.

Reaction score
Turns out that the problem is hardware not software and Hammond is sending me a new XK-5! I will keep you posted on how this all pans out.

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how those things will pan out. I'm still evaluating if I'll go for the XK-5 or just save a bit more and go for the B3P mkII. The B3 is definitely more advanced and nicer but the lower price and the portability of the XK5 set is really alluring. I have always had a good relationship with Hammond seeing as I am an artist for them but these early issues scare me a bit because I need something that consistently works

Reaction score
I just got my replacement XK-5 today, looks and works perfectly so far, I think it is one of the later ones,ser.# 16120423

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking at the new Hammond XK5 and it really does look promising. A new sound engine, new keybed and a "multi contact" system in a portable organ. The multi contact system uses 3 contacts to mimic the original 9 and from what I've heard it does work rather brilliantly.

Has anyone here managed to get their hands on one to try it out? They start shipping in september I believe (in Europe at least). I will be getting a new Hammond this winter hopefully and was planning on the B3 portable but this does look good and now I'm torn between the two...

http://www.hammond.eu/products/portable-organs/xk5/
Hello,
My name is SweetRay Burke and I own an XK5.
I love it. The sound is amazing, I feel as if I have every Hammond I've ever wanted to own at my fingertips. You need to sit at one. The feel of the keybed is truly beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my SK1 as well, it has wowed audiences and made GREAT recordings, but playing an XK%, is like sitting in front of a living, breathing, B3
student of the blues
SweetRay

Reaction score
image.jpeg
I now have the A-3 lower manual to go with the XK-5, like Sweet Ray sez, it is like sitting at the real deal, it is even a hair wider than a B-3, 48 1/4"!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That is one sweet looking Hammond. :)

Here's a picture of mine :D

ferrofish-B4000-1.jpg
ferrofish-B4000-2.jpg

Actually it sounds pretty decent for an emulator and I didn't have to sell a kidney to afford it :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just beginning to dig into a new XK-5 and wonder if anyone knows if there is a way to adjust (reduce) key click? It's a bit too pronounced for my taste.

Reaction score
I need to do that too, I know it takes some menu diving. The folks on the XK-5 users group on Facebook know how.

Reaction score
Hey there. Press the Menu button. The first item to select is the Drawbar setting. Press Enter to edit Drawbar.
Then you should see in the top row T-CON-D, and a few numbers beneath, in the bottom row. I forget what the default numbers are. +30 and 10 maybe? Select these numbers by pressing the Right arrow button and turn these values down with the scroll knob. My current settings are +0 - 7. I'm trying to write this from memory so... this might be useless. Keep playing chords with your right hand as you scroll through the values and listen for the decrease/increase of the key click. I agree that it's too clicky by default.

Ask a Question