Type of - first keyboard?

Reaction score
I've read Skipp's material re one's first keyboard, & understood it as best I can, with the ignorance of a current non-keyboardist.

My questions lean more toward the type of keyboard to buy, trying to plan ahead for future possible use; for those who may reply, I would ask that you think back to the time when you knew as little as I do now. If I read Skipp's article and grasped all the points and terminology correctly, it seems that I want a workstation - I think.

I've played guitar and drums and started guitar again; recently while listening again to "Wildfire" by Michael Murphy I was struck by the beauty of the piano, notably at the start and the end of that song. Next thing I knew I found myself looking at, and being amazed by, what today's portable keyboards can do. It was what I hoped for, really. As you may guess my eyes got big like
Wiley E. Coyote's, in the old RoadRunner cartoons, just before the dynamite goes off. Young Master Luke here has now gone over to the dark side, and become one of you, and I'm now looking for a first keyboard for two reasons.

1) I think that both I, and my brother, would like to try to learn music on a keyboard.
2) In my case, I have it in mind to (later) round up others "of a certain age" or a certain mind-set like myself, who love 60s-70s music and form a weekend garage band, and play just for the pleasure of playing again with others. And, yes, there may even later come a time to play out somewhere... but that's speculation on my part and remains to be seen, of course.

If an informal band comes about and there's someone else in the group who can (better) play a keyboard that I buy, fine, as I also want to play some guitar and perhaps even try drums again. Some of this, some of that - keeps the brain functional I think.

With some songs there are brass or strings parts; I envision something like a left handed chord or chords keyboard part with one or more parts such as string or brass, and notes with the right hand (with possibly one or more musical elements) to suggest the melody line
as an intro for instance. That means that I should focus on workstation models?

To paraphrase Skipp's article, one can be a keyboardist or one with "technical skills" and I would at first settle for the latter; if I begin a keyboard at age 59, I feel that I am behind, and in a hurry to get from point a to point b while I'm still on the right side of the grass. Being a technician, as it were, in my view means learning some chords/some notes, enought to suggest a melody line. * For those of
you who spent the time and money, to master your craft and skills - don't be offended by that, please. If a boy and his first keyboard play nice together, and if I find that I love it, I would sign up for formal lessons. And in my case, I work then go home and I am happy to be home which means that I indeed would have time to practice as I often stay up later than I should. Further, since the old
man here still has a ponytail and I'm too old for "that sort of thing," only thing I can do is play hippie rock and roll, and have fun. Worse yet, I do remember the 60s - and, man, I loved that music, so...

Now, bearing in mind that I am not at this moment a keyboardist, I am trying to fully grasp what's fine for the start of playing and also trying to best cover as far as one can what may arise at some later point. If I buy a keyboard, I will buy something decent at the start;
no models of anything with first letter "C" arose on the list of what to perhaps buy. (And as to mix, sample, sequence, ROMpler etc., I am dazed and confused about that - no idea if it will arise, or how crucial it may be).

Here, in Waterloo/Cedar Falls Iowa area, I haven't checked yet but I don't think that I will find much or a wide variety of keyboards to look at much less try, so I read reviews, watch demo videos on YouTube - or, join a forum, and seek help from The Wise Ones on how to properly get started. ;-) I can, however, see how all this will likely lead to having more than one keyboard.

The other "issue" is this: right now, I can't speculate on type of keybeds - what does, doesn't, feel right as I don't play now so I know nothing intelligent about that. Your thoughts on that would be welcomed, of course. (At my age, and having been away from tools and heavy lifting about 10 yrs. now from a past job - and, getting older, I would say the ol' hands aren't as strong as they once were. I mention that, in reference to any advice offered on keyboard type, to perhaps look for in a first model).

Along the way I have looked at, and agonized over, feautures of The Big Three. At a guess, whatever I buy... will perhaps take a chance with Sweetwater, as they allow one to split payments over 3 mos., thus upping the buying power a bit. And, if you have negative comments on
that website, please let me know, before I buy anything.

A final thought would be: learning to play will be enough to do, so I hope to not become a rocket scientist in white lab coat with 9 million buttons/choices, and not a lot of lights flashing in one's face, as I think that would be quite distracting. I do tend to agree with Skipp, about how a button to push would be better or "safer" rather than pushing a touch face screen. And, for we elders (even with our glasses), a decent screen on the keyboard would be a big plus.

I thank one and all, kindly, who may offer any thoughts or advice to the new kid on the block.
Best, 60s70sMusic
(Pat)

Reaction score
If you can play guitar already and know songs being put together from chords - get something (relatively) inexpensive to get going. Second hand maybe a couple of hundred dollars?

You're just looking for something that has proper audio outs (1/4 inch jacks or better) and isn't going to fall apart. Sequencer, sample player - you can do without them if you're going to hold down a few chords and play a few simple single line parts.

Check second hand prices where you are - 5 octave Roland Juno D is giggable. Yamaha did a one a while back - think it's the MM6 - check the output isn't stereo headphone only.

See what's available and post back if you want pointers.

Reaction score
goz211;

Good of you to reply, thanks.

Indeed, the Yamaha model that you mentioned, is one that I have been looking at (among others).

You mentioned headphones - and I forgot to; that is of import to me... practice at home, not bother my brother or the neighbors here at our apartment building.

Yes - after buying a keyboard, will be back with more things to ask, I would imagine.

Thanks, again.
Best, 60s70sMusic
(Pat)

Reaction score
Hi Pat

Good luck. I went and listened to Abbey Road while making dinner and clearing up a few nights back - your original post had me pandering for a bit of quality stuff from that era.

Let us know what keyboard you opt for.

Reaction score
goz211;

Good luck, indeed - needed, as one "agonizes" on first board, from Big Three. LOL!

Aside from joining here, just thought of/talked to relative who in fact has played piano for a long time, and has a Roland 88 key digital piano. Been picking her brain a bit about things.

Yes, "real music for real people" is what I call the music of the 60s/70s; of course, that's just my preference. But, I think the boss at work summed it up well, saying that perhaps it's what we heard in/around the time of high school that cements one on a certain path as far as music goes.

Yes, after I find "the board" I will report back; then I will find out how/why I got the wrong one. LOL! But, to have something to learn on, get started with, is really the main point. Then... comes a 2nd keyboard, and so on! :)

Leaning toward Yamaha MM6, or PSR-S550b, just now. But, will gnash teeth a bit more, before purchase.

Best, and thanks, again.
Pat

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation last year, almost the same age, been wanting to learn keyboard all my life (but a vagabond lifestyle didn't permit carrying around a piano). I played 12-string (professionally), hammer-dulcimer, shakuhachi, flute, but wanted to add keyboard to my tools. It's a confusing mess out there. I only signed up to this forum to reply to your post, to let you know that ... it appears these keyboard forums are no different than camera, car, or any other forums. You will have your "Only PROS use THIS brand/style/model/etc.!" type of people, everywhere. And those who blindly follow those self-declared "pros" handing out their "sage" advice because they too want to be "pros".

After extensive searching and research for many months (I'm no slouch when it comes to putting my money where it counts), I settled on a Casio CTK-5000. It does everything and more that you claim you'll need. You can divide up the keyboard on any key, assign tones to either half, layer tones, the works. I suggest you go to Casio's site and download their manual and read it (along with their appended data sheets of all the tones, percussion banks, etc. that are in them). Then be prepared to get lost in all their keyboards are capable of. I lucked out and won one in a bid for only $35 (incl. shipping) on ebay. Brand new, in the box. I couldn't have made a better purchase. Never let some self-declared "pro" do your homework for you. Research as much as you can yourself. You may find out those "pros" are just a group of blind and deaf ego-freaks leading more blind and deaf.

Reaction score
Oh, you must be refering to Stevie Wonder and Beethoven. Please pass the duct tape.

Alesis QS8
2-E-Mu Vintage Keys
E-Mu X-Board 61 Keyboard
2-Fatar Studio 610 Keyboards
Crown XLS 1000 Power Amp
Lexicon MX200 Effects processor
Behringer 8 Channel Mixer
2-Furman Power Conditioners
ART FXR Elite Effects Processor
2-Peavy Speaker Cabs 15" w/horn
2-Ernie Ball Stereo Volume Pedals
2-Whirlwind Direct Boxes
Ultimate Support 3 Tier Stand
On Stage Stands Platform Stand
3-X Stands
Custom Pedal Board
Road cases for most everything
Korg Poly 800
50 Watt Amp
Epiphone 15 watt Amp ****

I've a list 5 times that long of camera gear. And yet not ONE of my cameras is recommended by the self-appointed "pros" online. And still I take 10x's more international award-winning photographs than they do. Why is that?

"When a youth was giving himself airs in the Theater and saying, 'I am wise, for I have conversed with many wise men.' Epictitus replied, 'I too have conversed with many rich men, yet I am not rich." - Epictitus

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Reaction score
A.Dawson:

Thanks for comments, & I will indeed look at model, that you mentioned.

I came here, in part to seek ideas and better knowledge of terms, and what is or is not of actual import. (While I had played guitar and drums long ago... about 3 yrs. ago I came across electronic drums and was "shocked" to see such a thing - so, as you may guess, I'm a bit behind the learning curve of what exists today). Perhaps we all blunder along, each in our own way, toward choosing "what to buy" when starting with a new instrument - notably, in my case, when I had no clue about what some terms meant, and so on.

=================

Burn4Him:

MM6 is 1 of the models on the short list, of models that I have looked at, (and I've watched videos of it being demonstrated on YouTube to get a sense of its capabilities and its sound of course).

Thanks again, for your time, and comments.

60s70sMusic (Pat)

Ask a Question