Voce V5+

Reaction score
I would like to have the left hand section of the split point on a Voce V5+ to be the same octave range as the right hand side, similar to when you split the keyboard on a Hammond XK-1. When I split the keyboard now, there is no octave change. It changes the drawbar setting, but stays in the same range.

Reaction score
What are your drawbar settings in the right hand vs. the left hand? If your right hand is 888000000 and your left hand is 008880000 then tonally the keys in the left hand will be one octave higher as there is no 16' drawbar in the left hand and the 16 drawbar produces a dominant tone and that tone is one octave lower than the fundamental. If that 16' is not in the left hand it will give appearance that the keyboard is playing one octave higher in the left hand. Try this, set the left hand to play just the 8' (008000000). Set the split point, save. Now in the right drawbars on the voce pull just the 8' (008000000). So the keys below and above the keyboard should just be playing the 8' drawbar. Start at the lowest note on the keyboard and walk up to the top, there should be no breaks in sound. This will prove that the Voce is operating correctly and also proves it's the combination of drawbars that you are using in your left hand that is causing an appearance of an octave change up vs the right hand combination of drawbars being pulled. Unless the Voce is "defective" (highly doubt the this is the case) it's your drawbar combination in your left hand vs. your right hand combination that is causing your issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I figured it out. The way to do it is to turn off the split function on the Voce once the split point is set to coincide with the controller. Set the Voce on multitimbral. Then set MIDI channel 1 for the right hand on the controller. It’s sound is the live drawbar setting. Then set the left hand to MIDI channel 2. It’s sound is the preset selected.
Now, running it through my Ventilator 2, it sounds great! The best simulator sound, yet. It’s as close to my A100 through my 147 as anything I’ve heard.
Thanks for input. I could do it that way if for some reason the controller provided on a fly out gig isn’t as easily set as the Hammond XK-1 or Kurzweil Forte that I just tried it on.

Reaction score
I figured it out. The way to do it is to turn off the split function on the Voce once the split point is set to coincide with the controller. Set the Voce on multitimbral. Then set MIDI channel 1 for the right hand on the controller. It’s sound is the live drawbar setting. Then set the left hand to MIDI channel 2. It’s sound is the preset selected.
Now, running it through my Ventilator 2, it sounds great! The best simulator sound, yet. It’s as close to my A100 through my 147 as anything I’ve heard.
Thanks for input. I could do it that way if for some reason the controller provided on a fly out gig isn’t as easily set as the Hammond XK-1 or Kurzweil Forte that I just tried it on.
If you have a Forte, do this to obtain real time drawbar control on upper and lower simultaneously. No more presets needed for the lower manual.
  1. Create a two zone multi on the Forte
  2. Set zone 1 to the upper channel assigned to the Voce and set the key range on the Forte for the upper manual (notes above the keysplit)
  3. Set zone 2 to the lower channel of the Voce (assuming the upper channel is one, set this zone to channel two) and set the keyrange of this zone to play the notes below the split point.
  4. Set the Voce to mutitimbral.
  5. Set the 9 sliders on the Forte associated with zone two (the lower channel) to control the internal lower manual drawbars of the Voce via MIDI by having the first slider on the Forte set to CC12, the second slider to send CC 13, etc. all the way to the 9th slider which would be CC#20. The only issue is that the sliders will work backwards from how a Hammond works. To reverse this behavior of slider direction, for each slider (on the slider controller tab) set the scale to -100% and set the 'add' to 127. This programs the sliders to work backwards and backwards is the correct direction for Hammond drawbars. Now the upper manual drawbars will be controlled by the Voce's drawbars and the 9 sliders on the Forte will control the lower manual (below the split) in real time.
  6. If you have two keyboards you can set the upper keyboard to transmit on channel one and play the full 61 keys and set the lower keyboard to transmit on channel two and it will play the entire lower manual. The Forte would control the lower drawbars with its sliders. I've been doing this (dual manual, dual drawbar realtime control approach) for 12 years with the Voce. It works.... You may need a midi merger as the Voce only has one midi input and to use two separate keyboards for upper and lower you'll need a way two merge the midi outputs of two keyboards into one Voce input. One of my keyboards has midi merge capability so that keyboard does the merging. However purchasing a MidiSolutions midi merge box also does the trick. If you are only using one keyboard and splitting the keyboard zones into upper and lower then follow the first 5 steps above and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Ask a Question