What to do ?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have just turned 66 and have been trying to learn the piano for about 3/4 years. Over the that time I have had a couple of keyboards, but around June of last year I came into some money and branched out and purchased a Roland RD2000. On reflection it was over the top for what I required. However even though I do really like the Roland it doesn't have built in speakers, it also doesn't have Bluetooth. So this is my question. And please don't judge me because I was able to buy such an expensive keyboard. I just tried to get the best I could, without realising that there were limitations to what it could do. There is a part of me that is saying, learn how to play this particular model and all of its kit. I will retire shortly so I will have time. Or could someone suggest a model that is in the same sphere as the Roland but include the on board speakers, and Bluetooth. This has been bothering me for a while. So I have decided to throw it open to the opinions of the members on this forum. To finish, it doesn't have to be a Roland, it could be any brand.Many thanks to you all in anticipation.

Reaction score
I would suggest bluetooth speakers are not the way to go, if that is what you are considering. If you want to input say backing tracks then use the line in feature and play the tracks via mobile or tablet.

Why not add a pair of powered speakers, below is my system where I use a two tier stand and have simply added a shelf and fitted the speakers on said shelf together with a music stand. One could simply mount powered speakers to the second tier arms or on their own speaker stand.

A set of PreSonus Eris 3.5 is only £75, and if they work for you then fine but these are low end and your keyboard really justifies far better. The Yamaha HS5 that I have and you see in the image cost me £330 but the HS8 are really top notch but cost double.

IMG_5135.jpeg

As far as a digital piano with inbuilt amp and speakers check out Roland’s FP range, do note these have far fewer onboard sounds and in the PHA4 a different keybed.

Yamaha, Kawai and Casio all have DP’s with onboard amp and speakers but again they are lesser models than your RD2000 which is a top quality DP.

Last edited:

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
That is a very nice board, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Don't sell it yet! Here's why.

The reason there aren't any speakers is that it's a professional tool, designed with the studio and stage in mind. In both of those cases it would be plugged into some sort of amplification and sound system. Neither of those situations lend themselves well to having on-board speakers; in fact that would be a drawback. You want to MONITOR your sound. You'd have dedicated keyboard monitors, studio/stage floor monitors, or even In Ear Monitors.

BUT, at home you can simply add a nice set of powered speakers as Biggles suggested. Other than using headphones, I guarantee that your sound will be MUCH better than if you'd bought a consumer model with those less than optimal speakers they have. And you'll end up with a very capable setup that should keep you happily occupied for many years to come!!! And it will sound GREAT!

Edit: I'm babbling now, but at 50 when I picked up bass guitar, I NEVER would have believed that now when I'm 67 and retired I'd be in a rock and roll band, playing bass/keys and singing harmony most weekends, and getting paid for it! Yet my 225th gig is coming up! If you ever decide to go that route after a while, you already have the pro level equipment and skills you'll need. And I tell you, it's a blast, having the time of my life! For What It's Worth.

Oh, one more thing: Bluetooth has a lag, called a latency, so there would be a slight delay hearing what you just played. It'll drive you nuts, don't even consider it.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might be in over your head a bit now, but you will appreciate the Roland more and more over the next decade as you commit to making music and not just random noise.

My feeling is that if you blow the price of a Jamaican Weekend For Two on a decent keyboard, then you are more likely to follow thru in the years to come as you learn the intricacies of the machine and the art of music as a process.

Sure you are intimidated now, faced with giga gobs of technical jargon to learn and understand what the manuals and videos are telling you, but, with the resources we've instilled into these forums and the aid of the mighty Googlynet, you will learn more quickly than you ever thought possible.

Welcome to the wonderful world of GAS. (gear acquisition syndrome)

Now, invest in a couple of reasonably priced studio monitors, some audio patch cables, a dust cover for when your baby goes to sleep at night, and a carrying case if you ever plan on going on the road with it.

Also, DO NOT USE AN X STAND FOR AN 88 KEYBOARD. This arrangement is very unstable and your baby will crash to the floor if you get carried away.

Buy a Z stand or a table stand for proper playing stability.

Reaction score
That is a very nice board, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Don't sell it yet! Here's why.

The reason there aren't any speakers is that it's a professional tool, designed with the studio and stage in mind. In both of those cases it would be plugged into some sort of amplification and sound system. Neither of those situations lend themselves well to having on-board speakers; in fact that would be a drawback. You want to MONITOR your sound. You'd have dedicated keyboard monitors, studio/stage floor monitors, or even In Ear Monitors.

BUT, at home you can simply add a nice set of powered speakers as Biggles suggested. Other than using headphones, I guarantee that your sound will be MUCH better than if you'd bought a consumer model with those less than optimal speakers they have. And you'll end up with a very capable setup that should keep you happily occupied for many years to come!!! And it will sound GREAT!

Edit: I'm babbling now, but at 50 when I picked up bass guitar, I NEVER would have believed that now when I'm 67 and retired I'd be in a rock and roll band, playing bass/keys and singing harmony most weekends, and getting paid for it! Yet my 225th gig is coming up! If you ever decide to go that route after a while, you already have the pro level equipment and skills you'll need. And I tell you, it's a blast, having the time of my life! For What It's Worth.

Oh, one more thing: Bluetooth has a lag, called a latency, so there would be a slight delay hearing what you just played. It'll drive you nuts, don't even consider it.
Thank you. You are bang on. I am going to keep the keyboard. As you have alluded to it is one of the best I will try to learn how to play keyboard, but also "Learn" to find my way around " this " particular keyboard. Many thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I would suggest bluetooth speakers are not the way to go, if that is what you are considering. If you want to input say backing tracks then use the line in feature and play the tracks via mobile or tablet.

Why not add a pair of powered speakers, below is my system where I use a two tier stand and have simply added a shelf and fitted the speakers on said shelf together with a music stand. One could simply mount powered speakers to the second tier arms or on their own speaker stand.

A set of PreSonus Eris 3.5 is only £75, and if they work for you then fine but these are low end and your keyboard really justifies far better. The Yamaha HS5 that I have and you see in the image cost me £330 but the HS8 are really top notch but cost double.

View attachment 3368

As far as a digital piano with inbuilt amp and speakers check out Roland’s FP range, do note these have far fewer onboard sounds and in the PHA4 a different keybed.

Yamaha, Kawai and Casio all have DP’s with onboard amp and speakers but again they are lesser models than your RD2000 which is a top quality DP.
Thank you. I have decided to keep the keyboard, and I agree with everything you say. The bluetooth issue was not o do with the speakers. it was to do with downloading the tutorials from Roland. It's very difficult with a tablet so I need a laptop because of no usb on a tablet. Thanks again for you excellent and informative reply.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have just turned 66 and have been trying to learn the piano for about 3/4 years. Over the that time I have had a couple of keyboards, but around June of last year I came into some money and branched out and purchased a Roland RD2000. On reflection it was over the top for what I required. However even though I do really like the Roland it doesn't have built in speakers, it also doesn't have Bluetooth. So this is my question. And please don't judge me because I was able to buy such an expensive keyboard. I just tried to get the best I could, without realising that there were limitations to what it could do. There is a part of me that is saying, learn how to play this particular model and all of its kit. I will retire shortly so I will have time. Or could someone suggest a model that is in the same sphere as the Roland but include the on board speakers, and Bluetooth. This has been bothering me for a while. So I have decided to throw it open to the opinions of the members on this forum. To finish, it doesn't have to be a Roland, it could be any brand.Many thanks to you all in anticipation.
Firstly, bluetooth audio is usually an input, not an output, so you can play along with songs on your phone. Bluetooth is still a consumer-level tech when it comes to audio, and is mostly too laggy to be used as a performance tech.
Easiest thing for you to do IMHO is to get some stereo speakers, powered, since the RD is a great instrument.
Beyond that, you bought the RD cos you liked it, there's lots to choose from out there, and most instrument stores would likely consider your RD as a trade-in.
Cheers

Reaction score
Look at Roland GoKeys 5. It has onboard speaks. A great portable learning keyboard in my view. It has Bluetooth built in options to access many learning apps on the iPad.

Reaction score
I cannot emphasize enough how important the dust cover and secure stand are as well. These items are crucial to the longevity of the instrument.
Hi Biggles, can ask a question. I am on my 3rd stand now which I am more than happy with ( Konig & Meyer) I have hunted for a dust cover but have failed to find one that actually fits the Roland RD 2000. My Question/confession is this. Around last November my mother took ill, and I haven't touched the keyboard since then. I have walked past it a thousand times but never switched it on. it is therefore cover in dust I am afraid to say. I'm a bit annoyed with myself . However we move on. Could you tell me please how to clean this keyboard from top to bottom. I will do it all myself, but I need to find a place to start. Many thanks to you in anticipation.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And use a vacuum suction cleaner with a soft brush to get the surface dust out.

Try not to force any dust between the keys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And wipe only with a slightly dampened cloth. Use a drop of denatured alcohol for grease spots. NEVER DRIPPING!~!!!! DAMP ONLY... Use no other cleaning products on the exterior of the keyboard.

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
For a cover I just went to the fabric store and got a remnant of a couple of yards of a nice silky black nylon fabric. A high thread count so dust won't go through it. I just cut it up to fit overlapping the keyboard, and used the rest to cover my bass guitars, amps and a few things. Functional only, nobody else goes in the room for anything.

Reaction score
You paid top dollar for a pro board. Maybe that was not the best choice at the moment. If you need extra features then you need to change your target and find a different instrument or buy external speakers, which means more spending. Now, you need to consider you have a really good sounding board at hand. No pro board or stage piano will have speakers. On the other hand, digital piano technology has dropped in price and now is very affordable. If you still want speakers and bluetooth you should try Williams brand. They very cheap and full of features with really great sound. When I say cheap I mean low cost. There are many brands and all of them have Home Digital pianos, which is the kind of instrument you are describing for your needs. For less than1K you can get a solid package with many things included. When it comes to pianos it is always best to try it personally but f you can't just refer to the reviews from all buyers at big seller like Musicians Friend, Sweetwater music, Sam Ash, etc, etc. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you lads for all of you advice . I have some cleaning to do. I may come back to you on a more technical issue if I may in the future, regarding the fact that the keyboard does not have bluetooth I am struggling to get the tutorials from Roland via a computer through the headphones and be able to play along and hear the audible from the computer and the keyboard the the headphones. ???? In the mean time I have some soft hoovering to do. Many thanks to you all.

Reaction score
Thank you lads for all of you advice . I have some cleaning to do. I may come back to you on a more technical issue if I may in the future, regarding the fact that the keyboard does not have bluetooth I am struggling to get the tutorials from Roland via a computer through the headphones and be able to play along and hear the audible from the computer and the keyboard the the headphones. ???? In the mean time I have some soft hoovering to do. Many thanks to you all.
As well as a matched pair of powered speakers buy a mixer.

Feed the output of the RD into the Mixer.

You can feed your PC audio into the Mixer

You can feed Line Audio into the Mixer

You can feed the Audio from an iPad or Mobile phone into a Mixer

Output from Mixer to Powered Speakers

Plug in Headphones into Mixer

You can then hear the audio from each source on either Headphones or via the Powered Speakers.

RD2000 Tutorial Playlist

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
That board also has an audio input, you might just be able to use a 1/8" cable between it and your playback device, then you should hear it as well as the keyboard through its headphone jack or speakers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gianni65

Latest Threads