Where to find styles for e453?

Reaction score
I find many sites with yamaha styles but which ones work for psr e453 and what is the best website?
Thanks
Linda

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yamaha MusicSoft is probably the best place to get additional styles for the PSR-E453 and other Yamaha models, but they aren't free. When you select a style file that you're interested in at that site, you should get a choice of file versions based on classifications such as G1, XT5, XT4, XT3, XT2, XT, and XA. I believe that G1 is for the Genos, and the various XT classifications are for the Tyros, with the number indicating which Tyros (XT=Tyros, XT2=Tyros2, XT3=Tyros3, etc.). I think that for the PSR-E453 you would want to pick the XA version. Actually, if you don't mind using utility programs to convert and tweak the style files after buying them, then I think you should be able to buy any version and then convert and tweak it as necessary-- but choosing the XA version should let you avoid all that extra work, and if there's no XA version available then in theory choosing the lowest version (such as XT) should require the least extra work whereas choosing the highest version (such as G1) should require the most extra work. Yamaha MusicSoft has sales several times a year, so a lot of people wait until there's a sale to buy-- but even when there is not a sale on they give discounts for buying several files at once.

There are also a lot of free style files available at PSR Tutorial, as goldi5210 said.

Reaction score
I’m very grateful for your very thorough explanation. My problem is that I need a style in 9/8. I learnt how to program the metronome, but I guess I have to built up my own style as a song with its own drum track etc. if I want a backing track in 9/8 or other less common time signatures. There’s no way I can change the time signature of an existing style, is there? You mentioned some apps?
Kind regards
Linda

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think might be one or more 9/8 preset styles on the PSR-E4xx models, but I'd have to double-check to be sure. In any case, I'm sure there are style files available at sites like PSR Tutorial that use 9/8 time, so you might be able to find one that fits the particular style of song you want to play.

It's easy to change the time signature of a style file or song file, because there is a MIDI message that sets the time signature, so all you need to do is change the numbers inside that MIDI message. But all that would do is reposition where the "virtual bar lines" fall within the file, and you'd still need to do a good bit of editing to take an existing style in a particular time signature and change it to a new style in a different time signature.

If there's some style file that you like which you want to try to change to a different time signature, the best way to go about this would be to split the style file into its MIDI and non-MIDI portions, then import the MIDI portion into a DAW or notation software. Then you should be able to change the time signature and move/insert/delete notes as needed to compensate for the new number of beats per bar. Once you've edited the MIDI portion to your satisfaction, you'll need to export it to a MIDI file, then either recombine it with the non-MIDI portion that you'd previously split off from the original style file, or use a utility program to create a new non-MIDI (i.e., CASM) portion for the new style file.

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s very helpful. Which DAW would you recommend for this which is affordable?
Linda

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I apologize; I'd meant to reply sooner.

I tried searching the Yamaha MusicSoft site for 9/8 styles, but the only ones that came up were a pair of Turkish and Romanian(?) styles which didn't sound like anything you could use for a pop song.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that you should pick a 3/4 style to start with, then edit the bars so each quarter note is equivalent to a triplet of eighth notes. That should give you the equivalent of 9/8 time, and it should be a lot easier to find a variety of 3/4 style files to choose from than it seems to be to find 9/8 styles.

As far as software, you'll want to start with a little utility program by Jørgen Sørensen called "Style Split and Splice," which you can download from http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm. This utility lets you split a style file into its MIDI and non-MIDI portions so you can edit the MIDI portion in a DAW or other program, and then splice the edited MIDI portion back together with the original non-MIDI portion to create a new style file.

For the actual MIDI editing, I would recommend a DAW (1) that retains any System Exclusive messages, since you don't want those messages to get removed when the MIDI portion is imported into the DAW; and (2) that lets you edit the MIDI notes in a musical notation view in addition to the standard piano roll view, since it will be a lot easier to do things like use triplets if you're working in a notation view-- plus, it will probably be easier for you to relate to the music that way as compared to trying to relate to a piano roll view.

I'll have a look at some of my DAWs to see which ones are easy to use as far as adding triplets in a notation view.

Reaction score
Thank your for your very detailed explanation.
I think I found some 9/8 styles in a torrent called “220 000 yamaha styles”.And maybe iReal Pro can do the job! Anyway thanks for your helpful answers. I will take my keyboard to my holiday cabin now and study it further.

Reaction score
Thank your for your very detailed explanation.
I think I found some 9/8 styles in a torrent called “220 000 yamaha styles”.And maybe iReal Pro can do the job! Anyway thanks for your helpful answers. I will take my keyboard to my holiday cabin now and study it further.
For the record, beware of torrents. You never know what is actually in them or comes with them.

Reaction score
Dear "SeaGtGruff in your post: 193915, you're mentioning ",,,if you don't mind using utility programs to convert and tweak the style file"

I don't have Yamaha, but I'm considering Clavinova CVP 701.
It is important for me to have a possibility to convert SFF GE" format ( From PSR) to SFF, used in Clainova.

Is this "utility program " you're mentioning capable of tweaking styles from one format to another? and where can one get the software?

Cheers

Mayo

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, there are many utilities available for working on Yamaha style files, most of them free.

Jørgen Sørensen has a large number of utility programs for working on Yamaha styles and MIDI song files. His approach is to write separate small programs that each perform a specific task, as opposed to a large program that tries to perform a wide variety of tasks. He has a utility for converting "SFF2" (a.k.a. "SFF GE") style files to "SFF1" (a.k.a. "SFF") style files, another utility for "revoicing" style files to use the voices of a particular model, another for "remixing" (i.e., reorganizing) the various sections of a style file, and so forth. He also has a utility that can be used to create a Yamaha style file from a MIDI song file-- which is not as simple as that makes it sound, because you do need to use some planning and effort, as well as needing a basic understanding of how Yamaha style files work, in order to successfully create a usable style file from a MIDI song file; although Jørgen has a "style creation course" on his site that can walk you through the basic steps. His site also has numerous documents about MIDI and XG available for download, and links to many other sites where you can find more files, information, and resources.

http://jososoft.dk/yamaha/index.htm

The PSR Tutorial web site has a section containing utility programs, or links to same, from several programmers, including the multi-purpose MixMaster program from Michael P. Bedesem. I don't think MixMaster can convert SFF2 files to SFF1 files (although I might be wrong about that), but it certainly contains many other functions for making changes to Yamaha style files and MIDI song files. And the PSR Tutorial has links to the sites of Heiko Plate and Peter Wierzba, both of whom have written utility programs for Yamaha keyboards. Peter's site also has a PDF document that contains detailed information about Yamaha style files, which Peter wrote with Michael P. Bedesem, so you should grab that as well.

https://psrtutorial.com/util/index.html

http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/stylefiles.htm

Ask a Question