Why GC, why???

Reaction score
Since I was looking at Fantom 06 model in recent weeks a lot on GC website before I purchased my Juno-X, now my email box is bombarded daily (sometimes twice a day) with emails from GC telling me stuff like "Limited availability in stock, order now", and "$20 Overnight delivery promotion ends on 12/21/2023 do not miss your chance"...

So, I gave up and said, OK give me one of those FA06 too... Response: "we do not have one in stock but Emeryville store has a Demo model we can sell it to you!"...

So I called the Emeryville GC and sales guy says yeah there is one sitting here since Covid days I think it was damaged either during shipping to the store or it was a return, I am not sure".

Told him please check and let me know because their store is almost 2 hours away from me. It was 4 pm and they close at 10pm...
Nobody called back despite taking my name and phone number etc.

Just few minutes ago I received another email basically saying "why you're not buying your ready to ship (in Stock) FA06"...

Corporate and stores all know none of the GC have a "new in box" FA06, yet they keep sending emails with "In Stock" marking below. Even their product page marked as In Stock item... But when called to order their response is " we're expecting to receive them by the end of January"...

kind of misleading or just automatically generated ad campaign. But whatever it is, "it's not right".

Reaction score
GC filed for Chapter 14 a month ago so probably are still in a state of confusion.
You could be right!

I don't know if they are going to convert their business model from local stores to a centralized rather large warehouse style like Sweetwater...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think Guitar Center folded in Canada well over a decade ago.

In a recession the best way to buy is used and local where available.

The Canadian market is pretty much tied up with L&M and Cosmo Music.

On the west coast another big player is Tom Lee

And if you are looking for anything analog from a squeaky module to a Moog One, the guys to see in Toronto are MOOG Audio.

Reaction score
I have Sweetwater Credit Card too but trying not to shop from them since they pissed me off recently...

Reaction score
I have Sweetwater Credit Card too but trying not to shop from them since they pissed me off recently...
Oh, I know that feeling.

I have three Music Stores within 15 minutes who are well stocked with keyboards and one pissed me off as there T&C’s were different for in-store and online buys.

Buy online, 30 day no quibble return, in-store zilch…. you tried the model in store Sir, we can give you a credit note less Admin fee.

Not bought anything more than a few pounds from them again, I do use them by going in and trying kit but only ever bought guitar strings from them.

Reaction score
Maybe you dodged a bullet?

Are you saying I should give up Fantom 06 and instead get a Fantom 6??? Hmmm hmmm 🤔

Then do the EX upgrade (whatever that means) too busy with grandkids and Christmas stuff I couldn’t checked that yet?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Affirmative. Roland cut corners to come out with the 0 models including a cheaper key action.

For me that would be a dealbreaker.

Reaction score
Fantom is 2x the price of a Fantom 0.

Fantom 7 £2600, Fantom 07 £1300.

If the 07 has the same keybed as an FA7 then there is nothing wrong with that, certainly at its price point.

Surely a Fantom 6/7/8 is a bit overkill to write jingles

Reaction score
Yep, but you have a mass of kit to create your music and that suits you.

Jim reminds me of my late Brother, he spent months deciding what to buy then went out and bought something very different. I get the idea that whatever Jim buys will not last long.

BTW, Jingle Bells is to complex a tune for me.

Reaction score

If the 07 has the same keybed as an FA7 then there is nothing wrong with that, certainly at its price point.

Correct it may bre a little overkill if I were "only" trying to make jingles or "themes" .
English is not my native tongue and I might've labeled wrong by describing what I mainly want to do as "jingles" but basically I jusy want to create short instrumental tunes that could be considered as jingles!

But that is not my only goal.
Basically what I am looking is, a single instrument that offers tons of sounds that is capable to create:

- rich and orchestral music (i.e. Game of Thrones theme or like UEFA Champions League Anthem)
- electronic music ( i.e. Donna Summer's I Feel Love - Jean Michelle Jarre's Oxygen )
- and some tunes that resembles the songs from Enya or like the song Now We Are Free from the Gladiator movie...
and of course few jingle-like tunes too...

Reaction score

I agree on price of 6 being 2x more than 06 but at $63/month it is not out of reach thankfully!

Reaction score
Yep, but you have a mass of kit to create your music and that suits you.

Jim reminds me of my late Brother, he spent months deciding what to buy then went out and bought something very different. I get the idea that whatever Jim buys will not last long.

BTW, Jingle Bells is to complex a tune for me.
Correcto mundo!!!! Also the main reason of my indecision is two fold;
1) I don’t need really “need” a keyboard. The only reason I’m thinking to get one is “boredom”! So, because I do not have any specific reason, I can not also choose a specific type of keyboard!

2) Since I do not have any kind of recent keyboard/synthseizer/workstation or even DAW experience, I do not know the difference in capabilities of each model. To me they all look capable to do everything I ever need to do. No idea which model is more user friendly or have more sounds with expansion possibilities etc.

You guys are talking about keybed quality differences. To me they all look have black and white keys and they all seem ok for my two finger playing style.
If I were planning to play Rachmaninov’s Concerto #5 then I may think about keybed quality not to negatively effect my performance!

The other reason I like to by a quality equipment is my beloved motto “ I am not rich enough to buy cheap crap”!
Otherwise not because my talent deserves one! Because believe me it doesn’t!!!

Merry Christmas to all!!! 🎄

Reaction score
Well you want to create jingles so get a MIDI keyboard and plug it in, load software and go.

Errrrr no, usually it is not as simple as that.

Then you think, I’ll get a keyboard that has sounds inbuilt.

Errrr no again, not only do you have to learn about using the keyboad but you still have the connection to a computer and learning all the Apps.

Then you have another think, buy a keyboard which has an inbuilt Multi Track Recorder and use that to create my jingles.

Errr sort of no and yes, it will work but main issue is finding what keyboard gives this feature.

Then the keybed type and format comes into play so for something decent I need to pay $3000.

All I want to do is create Jingles.

Buy a cheap MIDI keyboard controller, one that is easy to set up or at least has plenty of How To videos on Youtube.

I am going to be laid up for weeks next year so for myself I have been looking at 28-37 key MIDI units.

First problem, many have Mini keys and with my spatula fingers and large hands these are a waste of space for me.

Then I look at Youtube product Tutorials/Reviews and find the cheap £90 unit I was interested in has a dodgy keybed and is a pig to set up, I look at an Akai but that has Mini keys.

I look at a Nektar Impact LX25+ and that has full size keys, yet again there seems to be an issue setting it up and getting the buttons and knobs to work.

Novation Launchkey 25 comes next and looks like a contender, I tried this just before Covid but did not follow it up.

MAudio Oxygen Pro, looks like a contender. Full size keys, easy to setup (great video showing how to is on Ytube).

So I’m down to three, more research needed.

NOTE *****
Whilst others here know far more than I as you are in the same boat at I then I’ll recap a little on what I found and experienced over the years.

Connecting up a MIDI keyboard controller does not necessarily mean it will work out of the box. Certainly setting it up on a Mac can be very problematic. I did have a Roland MIDI unit and it would not work at all. A guy on another forum who plays keys in a well known band wrote chapter and verse on how to set it up for me, that worked.

Once you get the keyboard keys working then getting the knobs, sliders etc working should be a case of loading a file, errr no in some cases there is no file to load and you have to map out the controls yourself. Trying to do this in a DAW that you do not know is not easy.

Then there is adding the VST’s, again not easy, the installation instructions if there are any at all, are written in many languages each translated into another language before ending up in Klingon.

Learning a DAW does require a lot of time and effort, the more complex it is the longer it takes.

So whichever way you go it requires a steep learning curve.

Good Luck, you are going to need it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Limeydog

Latest Threads