YAMAHA PSR E-373 Sustain trouble

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I have problems with cubase and sustain pedal.

When I press the pedal, cubase receives the signal, obtaining the sustain parameter (CC.64 value 127), but instantly releases it (CC.64 value 0). Which causes it not to achieve the sustain effect.

I don't know if it's a keyboard or cubase problem. The pedal on the keyboard itself works perfect, the sustain is effected, but it seems that the midi control codes sent from the keyboard to the computer are not being well interpreted by cubase. In preferences / midi there is no filter.

Attached photos, before pressing the pedal, with the pedal pressed, and with the pedal released.

Thanks for your help and ideas.
Sergio

Attachments

• uno.JPG
    uno.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 67
  • dos.JPG
    dos.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 68
  • tres.JPG
    tres.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 65
  • cuatro.JPG
    cuatro.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 65
  • cinco.JPG
    cinco.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 68
  • seis.JPG
    seis.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 83

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What sustain pedal are you using? Is it a foot switch or a foot pedal?

Reaction score
Hi friends,

When I press the pedal, cubase receives the signal, obtaining the sustain parameter (CC.64 value 127), but instantly releases it (CC.64 value 0). Which causes it not to achieve the sustain effect.

I don't know if it's a keyboard or cubase problem. The pedal on the keyboard itself works perfect, the sustain is effected, but it seems that the midi control codes sent from the keyboard to the computer are not being well interpreted by cubase. In preferences / midi there is no filter.

Attached photos, before pressing the pedal, with the pedal pressed, and with the pedal released.

Sergio
Did you ever solve this issue. I have the same problem, same keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi- I also have this problem on Logic with the same keyboard. Have any of you managed to sort this out? Thanks-it would help me out so so much!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I hope someone who's familiar with Logic Pro can help, because I've never used it and the PDF manual is over 1000 pages long. o_O

Reaction score
Did you ever solve this issue. I have the same problem, same keyboard.
Hi. No, after much testing by the dealer I eventually returned it and got the Arturia Keylab Essentials.
It's a pity, I liked the E373 and I am sure it is just a firmware glitch that could be solved by an update.

Reaction score
Hi friends,

Sergio
Yes - that was my same experience. Had to return the keyboard sadly.

Reaction score
Hi, I am having the same issue and apparently I managed to fix it by filtering out CC.64 value 0 on channel 2 using a combination of a software called LoopMidi and a python script. The reason of this message might be related to the fact that in duo mode the left section does not support sustain. What looks like a bug is that the message is sent in normal mode but not in duo mode! So an alternative solution is to set duo mode on, then move the split point to C1 and finally set the octave of the right and left section to 0. This way the sustain message is properly sent. Note that once you turn split mode off and on again, you will have to reconfigure the split point and octaves. The same thing happens if you turn the keyboard off and on again...

Reaction score
Actually, it is not necessary to move the split point. Just set duo mode to on (function 48), and then set the octaves of right (function 53) and left (function 54) section to 0.

Reaction score
Thank you everybody, I solved the trouble following the fizban's advices:

Step by step:

1) Pressing the "Function" button, go to the function number 48, change de value to "ON"
2) Go to the function number 53, change de value to 0
3) Go to the function number 54, change de value to 0
4) Keeping pressed the "Regist Memory" button, select a number (I used the number 9), press "yes" button for to save.

That's all

The next time you switch on your keyboard you can press one time "Regist Memory" button, then the number 9 for to load this configuration.

Sergio

Reaction score
Thanks Sergio it works as charm now! But not with all VST for eg in xpand!2 only the right of the keyboard plays.
Is there any way to midi learn on standard keyboard configuration to teach logic to learn that midi coming from the pedal and use it for sustain pedal?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been reading tons of web pages and tryed anything. This workaround works but not for all VST because it sends midi signals in different channel and some software split vst don't play al keys.

Reaction score
Thanks Sergio it works as charm now! But not with all VST for eg in xpand!2 only the right of the keyboard plays.
Is there any way to midi learn on standard keyboard configuration to teach logic to learn that midi coming from the pedal and use it for sustain pedal?
Hello, i solved that setting the midi channel to OMNI in vst pluggins, not only channel 1. Is not the best solution, but remember that the problem is a hardware bug of the keyboard.

Reaction score
I've been reading tons of web pages and tryed anything. This workaround works but not for all VST because it sends midi signals in different channel and some software split vst don't play al keys.
Hello, i solved that setting the midi channel to OMNI in vst pluggins, not only channel 1. Is not the best solution, but remember that the problem is a hardware bug of the keyboard.

Reaction score
In my experiments and aligned with the pictures in the first post, in normal mode, the immediate pedal release message is sent only through channel 3. This means that if your software only listens to channel 1 and 2, then you do not have to use the workaround. This is in theory, because looking at some of the pictures of the first post, some software seem to link the immediate pedal release to channel 1 even if it was only sent on channel 3.

Just for completeness of my post where I mentioned a python script (setting the e373 in normal mode, not in duo mode), this is it:

Python:
import mido

print (mido.get_output_names()) # To list the output ports
print (mido.get_input_names()) # To list the input ports

input_names = mido.get_input_names()
for input_name in input_names:
    if "Digital Keyboard" in input_name:
        keyboard = input_name
        break
in_port = mido.open_input(keyboard)   
out_port = mido.open_output('loopMIDI Port 1')

while True:
    while in_port.iter_pending():
        msg = in_port.receive()
        if msg.type != "clock":
            if not msg.is_cc() or msg.dict()["channel"]!=2:
                out_port.send(msg)

Note that channels in mido start at 0, so the cc message that we want to filter out is on channel 2. Remember that you also need to install loopmidi and launch it.

Ask a Question