Yamaha PSR SX 900 - should I go for it?

Reaction score
Hello
Planing to buy a psr sx 900…I am a basic to intermediate player and what I like abt psrs is the in built rhythm patterns that I dont have to do much on my own.
I had an old psr model.
I checked this model and it looks pretty good in terms of the touchscreen, patterns etc.
Any feedback on how this kbd is and if it is worth that much investment? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
First, I am not a Yamaha fanboy, if anything the opposite.

The SX are a vast improvement in build quality and material choices compared to the prior S models.

The inbuilt Styles are reasonable if some are a bit cheesey.

The menu system on the one I looked at shortly after they came out is not to my taste as there is to many layers which is typical of Yamaha Arrangers.

Sound wise, the acoustic piano sounds are very good, the strings good, the brass overbright and harsh ( James Last springs to mind). Subjective yes but that is my take.

Keybed, not a fan of it, lacking in feel and the surface could be better.

Suggest you find a Music Store with one in and go and try it, better still if they have a Korg Pa1000 on display that you can also play back to back with the SX.

As it is there is no other effective choices in the Arranger market at this price point just these two manufacturers.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I've been playing 50 years now and Love my PSR-CX900......I use it as one of my main gigging boards in a Classic Rock Band, I split it and play key bass/complete with a super funky slap sound, and combine acoustic and Rhodes for comping, has great horn sounds, killer sax.......GO FOR IT! START HAVING FUN!!!

Ask a Question