Accents . .

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
G'day,
This may be weird to some . .
Lately I have been imagining the accent of the posts I read here on these forums.
So many nationalities contribute.
As I read Gary's or Jeremy's posts, I try to imagine their Canadian accent.
Same with the Poms and Yanks, Colin, Ian, Michael etc . . .
Do you guys hear my accent as you read this? LOL!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In Ontario we speak a pretty straightforward Midwestern US accent, peppered with a few British colloquialisms.

Zed instead of Zee. Chesterfield instead of couch

In Quebec they speak a truly incomprehensible patois of a dialect that's meant to discourage outsiders.

Western Canada is pretty much the same as Ontario while the Eastern Maritime Provinces have their own dialect descended from Scottish immigrants.

Reaction score
You can end your wondering about me by watching this video that I made about my Grandfather, I am speaking the narration.

Accents in general in the UK are not as strong as they used to be, and are very different. The Scots accents vary, there is Geordie which is people from Newcastle Upon Tyne, Scouse or Liverpuddlian varies from one part of the City to another especially where the Irish immigrants and there is still a distinct Irish twang to their version of Scouse.

Given my own Heinz 57 varieties of my heritage I probably should be speaking

For a Yorkshire accent there is no finer example than Monty Python‘s four yorkshiremen sketch

I was brought up in a north Lancashire seaside town and whilst on holiday in the USA I was ordering in a take away when the person behind me said “that’s a fine North Lancashire accent you have there”.

My Mrs is from Manchester and we sometimes need an interpreter and as Ian is from that great City he may well have the Mancunian lilt in his speech but there again he may well have been brought up in Catford.

Let’s teach you some Yorkie, that is a Yorkshire phrase in that dialect

Ey bi eck, I’ll ga tat fut o ur stairs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In Ontario we speak a pretty straightforward Midwestern US accent, peppered with a few British colloquialisms.

Zed instead of Zee. Chesterfield instead of couch

In Quebec they speak a truly incomprehensible patois of a dialect that's meant to discourage outsiders.

Western Canada is pretty much the same as Ontario while the Eastern Maritime Provinces have their own dialect descended from Scottish immigrants.

Funny when I think of Canadians I think of the guys who did the great white north years and years ago.

Reaction score
You can end your wondering about me by watching this video that I made about my Grandfather, I am speaking the narration.

Accents in general in the UK are not as strong as they used to be, and are very different. The Scots accents vary, there is Geordie which is people from Newcastle Upon Tyne, Scouse or Liverpuddlian varies from one part of the City to another especially where the Irish immigrants and there is still a distinct Irish twang to their version of Scouse.

Given my own Heinz 57 varieties of my heritage I probably should be speaking

For a Yorkshire accent there is no finer example than Monty Python‘s four yorkshiremen sketch

I was brought up in a north Lancashire seaside town and whilst on holiday in the USA I was ordering in a take away when the person behind me said “that’s a fine North Lancashire accent you have there”.

My Mrs is from Manchester and we sometimes need an interpreter and as Ian is from that great City he may well have the Mancunian lilt in his speech but there again he may well have been brought up in Catford.

Let’s teach you some Yorkie, that is a Yorkshire phrase in that dialect

Ey bi eck, I’ll ga tat fut o ur stairs.
Thanks for that. Made me chuckle. Monty Python was comedy gold.
Nice documentary. Very well done.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Funny when I think of Canadians I think of the guys who did the great white north years and years ago.

Actually Canada is a nation of immigrants, with half of the country born overseas.

So in truth a Canadian accent is every country's accent.

You can hear Hindi, Arabic, Ukrainian, Italian, French, Spanish or Caribbean dialects and languages in any popular restaurant in town on a busy night. :D

Reaction score
Very much like New York. Everyone can tell where I’m from. We say “Cawfee” and they know.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Toronto has a reputation as "Canada's New York"

You call yourselves the Big Apple and we call ours The Big Smoke.

We're similar but not as many garbage strikes... :D :D :D

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have trouble in picking the difference between a Canadian and a North American. Marginally different.
But as you go south to Mexico and even further south to Brazil . . The accent is vastly different.
Australian accents differ from North to South but slightly. Hard to pick it sometimes. The outback folk have a broader slang than the city folk. Our indigenous (aboriginals) have their own unique slang and drawl albeit English language adapted.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have trouble in picking the difference between a Canadian and a North American. Marginally different.
But as you go south to Mexico and even further south to Brazil . . The accent is vastly different.
Australian accents differ from North to South but slightly. Hard to pick it sometimes. The outback folk have a broader slang than the city folk. Our indigenous (aboriginals) have their own unique slang and drawl albeit English language adapted.
Like I said, most Canadians have been bombarded by American media for over a century and that's why our cultures and dialects are pretty much identical.

There are regional, more countrified dialects as you get away from the centers of power, but that's true for every country regardless of culture.

Our language as a whole has been evolving under the influence of media communications stirring up all the regionalisms and homogenizing the results we know today and will know in the future.

Marshall McLuhan's global village is now a reality and we are witnessing the results. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woogish

Latest Threads