Behringer Teasing Us With an Analog Synth

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Behringer has been dropping teasers for the past month about a $500 Analog Synth soon to be released.

What we know so far? Rumor has it it's based on the Midas Synth, has three oscillators and according to the third teaser it will be polyphonic.

Here's a video discussion about it but apologies to those who don't understand German. Scroll to the ten minute mark to see the teasers.

Personally I've had a good relationship with Behringer Pedals and Mixers in the past and I'd love to see a full sized synth that kills the Korg Minilogue for under $500.

Meanwhile Behringer continues to release teasers weekly in dribs and drabs before the formal introduction.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Another teaser video out this morning.

Woohoo!!! 12 voice polyphony!!! A definite Minilogue Killer!!!

Gary ;)

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Let's hope it's also priced to be a Minilogue Killer-- as opposed to, say, a Minimoog Killer! :)

Reaction score
If this is really $500US and anywhere near as good as the teaser videos make it appear to be it's a no-brainer for me. But I haven't heard that price for a while. AFAIK it was associated with the idea of an Odyssey clone, which I understand may yet come to pass - but this obviously isn't that. So I patiently await a real product introduction.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Even if the price is in the $800-$1000 range, the closest comparable synth on the market today is the Prophet 12 at 5 times that price.

Like you, I eagerly await the official release info and an availability date.

Back in February I preordered a Korg Minilogue for $650 CDN but got fed up with vaporware by May and ordered a Roland JD-Xi instead.

It's one thing to promise a great synth for a fantastic price, but to actually deliver it on time is a whole different can of worms.

The Minilogue is STILL on preorder in Canada btw. :p

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Did you keep the JD-Xi, Gary? If so, how is it? Are the smaller-sized keys okay to play on? Can you use another keyboard to control it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I kept it, but it's been packed away for the last month in anticipation of a move this fall.

The tiny keys are useless of course, but the unit has some huge sounds and absolutely no problems controlling it with my Kurzweil as a controller.

The combination of supernatural ROMpler sounds and the analogue sound banks are excellent. You could compose a rock opera on this thing with only a simple quality MIDI controller.

It also plays nicely with my Linux computer system.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The tiny keys are useless of course, but the unit has some huge sounds
Funny by pure coincidence I had a muck around with one in a shop today and that was exactly my thought. A shame as it's a little beast but sadly doesn't suit the way I like to work. It's why I've never bothered seriously considering the Minilogue. Sticking to VA for now.

Of course some folk aren't perturbed by mini keys in which case I'd say based on my limited play time the Roland is pretty awesome.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Uli Behringer himself posted some clarifying comments about the new DeepMind12 on Gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12042752-post2072.html

I agree, it's probably not a $500 synth (I wish!), but much more expensive.

Some people have referred to it as having 61 keys, but in the videos I've seen there are only 49-- although maybe there's also a 61-key model?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm guessing, from my experience with Behringer products is that it's priced to compete with the Moog Lil Phatty somewhere between $800 and $1200 USD.

Behringer has a reputation for undercutting industry prices by up to 50%.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
From reading Uli Behringer's comments, it sounds like Behringer never said anything to anyone about what the price might possibly be, so I'm not sure where the $500 price that all the forums have been mentioning actually came from. But I was looking at an online music store and in their "About Behringer" blurb it said that Behringer was formed because Uli was unhappy with the high cost of audio equipment, and he wanted people to be able to afford audio equipment that was twice as good for half the price, or something like that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The original $500 price point came from postings a year or so ago by Behringer fishing for interest in a low priced synth and what features musicians would want.

Like I said, I've bought Behringer Mixers and Pedals in the past. A Behringer 12 channel mixer with 100 digital built in FX can be had for about $120. Compare that to the stuff you get from Mackie or Soundcraft which is triple the price.

And a Mixer is a highly dense analogue piece of hardware so Behringer's engineers are well up to the task of creating an analogue polysynth in the $500 to $1200 range.

Honestly I wouldn't even bat an eye if they finally announce a $500 to $600 range. From a complexity and sheer mass multiple standpoint there really should be no reason why they can't sell a 4 octave polysynth at the $600 price point.

And I think it would give Uli great joy to watch Korg lose it's mind over it. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Behringer / Midas Deepmind 12 Revealed at last!!! :D

I'm still watching so I don't know the price yet!

EDIT >>> "Affordable" and "Competitive" make me feel all tingly :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

It sounds bloody awesome!!!

12 voice polytonic for the price of a Korg Kross!!!

Drool!!!!

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
$999.99 USD Street Price.

By "Street Price" do you mean MSRP? Usually the stores' selling price is a bit below the MSRP, at least here in the USA for some manufacturers' keyboards. I'm hoping that will be the case here.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you read between the lines in Uli's post on Gearslutz I think he's talking about street price already.

I wouldn't expect any heavy discounting of this synth to begin with as it will surely become a very hot item and people will be lining up to place backorders for at least the first 6 months or so.

Behringer hardware usually sells at a fairly discounted price to begin with and honestly if there is any discounting below list it will probably be no more than $100 below at most.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
More teasers

This thing looks very easy to control and well laid out.

And the sounds are amazing...

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The industry reviewers are finally able to act on their NDAs and post live reviews now as well.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question