Casio CTK-541 help...

Reaction score
hi,
im new to this forum and if anyone can help at all thatd b awesome.

i recently decided to pull my girlfriends keyboard out of the cupboard to find out if it was compatible to plugin to my computer.

ive been told i need a midi-to-usb converter or something??
do i need to have an really good soundcard or is the standard usually all good?
my computers only 3 years old and it has a Realtek AC97 card and has Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth midi music playback.
ive played midi sounds before just using the pc keyboard on ableton live and using vst plugins so i know that midi works.

my other problem is we moved house and have somehow misplaced the 9volt DC adapter that came with it.
we have since bought another one that had multiple fittings to go into the keyboard but none of them would fit!
so we took it back.

is this plug rare? or is it possible theres something possibly stuck in the keyboards hole obstructing the plug from going in?

if anyone knows a model number of exactly what im needing thatd b T-riff!!
just keep in mind however i need the male plug-to-wall to be that of what we use in new zealand.
kinda looks like this / \
as opposed to this ||

thankyou to all that can help me:)

Reaction score
Well I'm probably not the one that should be answering this. I'm new to keyboards myself. However I can tell you that to connect your keyboard to your computer you need a midi to usb adapter. They aren't that dear. If you check on ebay I think you can get one delivered to practically anywhere in the world for about £4 (sold from hong kong). Mine was that price. Does the job. If there isn't a ebay in new zealand probably your best bet would be ebay australia but it comes from hong kong so it doesn't really matter which ebay you use.

With regards psu you should be able to find a compatible multivoltage psu somewhere there. You'll need the type with seperate different adapters like this;

Buy Masterplug 1200mA Multi-Volt Adaptor. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Obviously the above is a uk model and you need the equivilant nz version which should be available somewhere.

Once you have your keyboard powered and connected via midi you'll need software on the pc to communicate with it. However there are probably applications you can download from casio itself to enable features specific to your keyboard like altering sounds etc. You can also use third party software using general midi protocols to send midi tunes to the keyboard to play and also input notes from the casio keyboard itself into a sequencer for example.

I have a Casio CTK-691 but at the moment I'm just learning to play the keyboard itself. Best of luck from merry old england.

Reaction score
thanks man.

i have had a bit of a look on ebay for midi-usb adapters but theres alot on there and i dont want to get the wrong one after waiting weeks to get it.
i think being in nz i would have to get someone in ozzy to have it delivered to them and they send it on to me....
i think i might just keep lookin round on my countries markets.
we have a similar site Trade Me ? New Zealand online auctions and classifieds. Browse, buy and sell online on trademe.co.nz for auctions etc.
and yeah i forgot to mention i do have software for it that does support it.
i was using ableton live 7 but now im using reason 4 (still tryna get my head round that!)

that link you posted for the power adapter doesnt go anywhere...
yesterday i had a look at the bottom of the keyboard and it says only to use casio AD-5, RATED DC 9 V 850mA power adapter.

im wandering if itd just b worth getting 6 rechargable batteries and a charger then i wont have to worry about the damn adapter.

thanks for your help:)

Reaction score
Certainly the casio psu would be the recommended one for your keyboard but a lot of people including myself use a multivoltage more universal adapter which can be used with many devices not just one.

That argos link isn't working anymore. The product may have been removed.

Those midi-usb adapters are pretty universal. Mine works great but again there is probably an officially recommended version that Casio do.

Ask a Question