Casio CTK 850 IN -

Deb

Reaction score
I am totally a newbie in the keyboard area. I purchased Casio CTK-850 IN model few months back & managed to learn the basics so far. At this point, I want to learn, how to utilise the keyboard more efficiciently, specially taking advantage of the technolofy, the device offers.

I want to know, when I play the notes of a particular song in keyboard, how can I make it possible to play a suitable beat pattern in background, simultaneously ?

When I myself went through my keyoard manual in detail, following options looked feasible to me -

1) I can use built-in Beat feature (Metronome), while playing the song live
2) I can swicth-on 'Recording' feature & then play a short piece of the suitable background beats & then need to play it (repeated/looping mode) during live song playing in the keyboard.

Challenges faced -
Option 1 - Built-in Beat pattern is very uniform, ie., each beat strucks at equal interval. Apparently I don't see any option to modify/edit that to get my required beat pattern.

Option 2 - Switching on the 'Recording' button I can play the intended beats & then record it in the Registration Bank against a particular key. Problem here is, I can record for 5 seconds or 10 seconds. As it will be the same beat pattern repeated in the background with the live song, so I need some feature to repeat/loop this recordings to play for the entire duration of the song. Unfortunately, I am not getting anywhere the option to repeat/loop the recorded piece in my registration bank.

Probably ways out are already available & I was unable to find it as a fresher in the area.

Not sure, if I could explain my problem, but it would be a great help if some of you please let me know how to overcome this. I am at very initial stage right now & hence thought of approaching to this forum.

Regards,
Deb

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The keyboard should already have a variety of auto accompaniments that you can try out, and you can adjust the tempo setting to speed them up or slow them down as needed. I'm not familiar with that model and haven't studied its manual, so I'm not sure about all of its capabilities, but you might even be able to turn off parts of the accompaniment-- e.g., turn off the bass guitar or other instrument tracks such that only the percussion part is played.

I don't know whether you can use your keyboard's Song Sequencer to create an auto accompaniment. However, in the long run your best bet would be to connect your keyboard to your computer and use a DAW with it. With a DAW you can easily record short MIDI tracks and loop them.

Deb

Reaction score
My cordial Thanks, Sir. I was eagerly waiting for a reply. Being quite a newbiew, I got little frustrated not receiving a single reply since 24 hours & almost gave hope of getting help :)
If you see the youtube link
, here a boy plays the song beautifully. I want to prepare this same song playing, but wondering how to make the background beats in the exactly same rhythm, throughout the song.

Is DAW available as free download or need to purchase ? I will go for it. So, what I understand from your sugggestion, I can install DAW in my laptop & then connect the keyboard & laptop (what is the cable type required ?) & then play using the visual keyboard in monitor & loop it & then record it (which format/extension do I need to record to import to my Keyboard ?).
How can I transfer the recordable file from my laptop to the keyboard ? Will windows system detect the keyboard as a device & a simple file copy-paste feature will work ?

Coming to your other suggestion, I have observed about auto accompaniments in my keyboard. I need to first press 'Rhythm' button and then a particular rythm will start playing (depending on which number of rhythm I select).
It offers following editable contents -
Rhythm number
Part On/Off
Tone Number
Volume Level
Left- Right speaker balance (panning)
Reverb depth (reverb send)
Chorus depth (chorus send)

Which of these parameters setting can offer me tempo setting to speed up or slow down as I need ?

Sorry Sir, if I have asked too many trivial & silly questions. I believe once I get little hands on using this, it will be much clearer. Thanks a lot again for all your help.

Regards,
Deb

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You'll definitely want to use one of the built-in auto accompaniment rhythms for that.

Use the two Tempo buttons to speed up (the button with the arrowhead pointing up) or slow down (the button with the arrowhead pointing down) the auto accompaniment. These buttons are to the right of the various auto accompaniment buttons, on the left half of the keyboard but toward the center.

The functions for Part On/Off should let you selectively turn different parts of the auto accompaniment on or off.

There are some free DAWs, such as Anvil Studio, PreSonus Studio One 2 (free edition), Zynewave Podium (free edition), and others-- search for "free DAW."

There are also non-free commercial DAWs.

For the time being you might want to hold off on jumping into a DAW. Instead, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with how to use the various features of your keyboard-- you don't have to become an expert, but you should at least learn your way around the panel controls and how to use the basic functions.

Deb

Reaction score
Thank you Sir. I will follow exactly what you said & after giving try, I will update you the result.

Ask a Question