Casio XW-P1 Performance Synthesizer

Reaction score
Given all of the Casio enthusiasts here,it seemed only logical to me that those here would have heard on the new line of synths that are forthcoming..hmmm. :confused:

No matter though,as I am happy to relay the info,because someone like myself,who has had over 20 years experience with the likes of Korg,Kurzweil & Yamaha(as a serious hobbyist),I am thrilled to have discovered that not only is this upcoming synth very affordable,it is indeed,by definition,a pro-grade synthesizer. :eek:

The XW-P1 to put it mildly,has gone viral all of YouTube,since it's announcement at the 2012 Winter Namm convention and it has been demonstrated by some consummate professionals like Daniel Fisher & Mike Martin.

Both of these guys have quite a resume,having worked for companies such as Kurzweil,Yamaha & TC Electronics...so the fact that they're representing Casio,is a testament to the quality that went into these new synths(an XW-G1 is also on the way).

Mike Martin actually works for Casio now and these two videos in my opinion,most eloquently showcase the XW-P1;

-Elwood

Reaction score
I should mention also,that it's the same price as the WK-7500($499)which perhaps may leave some WK-7500 users wondering why it's the same price since it's not a workstation,but there are significant differences in other respects,feature & function-wise.

In addition to the XW-P1 being a monster synth with massive layering & editing capabilities,there are improvements to the hundreds of acoustic sounds over the WK-7500...as well as being fortified with step & phrase sequencers,midi ports,a midi controller function for PC DAW use and audio inputs.

-Elwood

Attachments

• Casio XW-P1 3-vert.jpg
    Casio XW-P1 3-vert.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 716

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I received one of these synths (The XW-P1) two months ago. I'm very happy with the sounds it produces and the touch and feel of the keyboard.

What I'm looking for now is a Cakewalk INS Instrument Definition File so I can incoroporate these sounds into my MIDI sequences and MP3 recordings.

If anyone out there has this file please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Reaction score
Someone here was asking about a keyboard and I mentioned that Casio was about to release the X!-P1. He got one later and had a very positive opinion of it.
I've owned some earlier Moog and Arp gear but hadn't have an actual "synth" in years. I got an XW-P1 last week and have to say that it does not disappoint. I'm really enjoying playing with it. Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ooooooooo. I see in your signature that you have a Privia PX-3. Care to give us a quick review of it? Likes and dislikes? I'm seriously thinking of getting one to use for piano tones and to use as a MIDI controller. Most interested in it's abilities as a controller.

Gary

Reaction score
Gary, I apologize that I did not see your post sooner. Yes, I recently got a PX3 with the same thoughts of using it as a controller for my Receptor. At this point I have not had time to explore the controller functions, but I have been using it weekly for practice and did play my last gig with it. It has a good feel to the keyboard and is easy to use. I would describe the sounds as "usable", but
definately not as anywhere near as good as the Motif. The PX3 sounds don't seem to cut thru the mix, but that may be improved with making some on beard EQ changes. I'm enjoying it, and especially like that it's light weight. From the manual, the controller functions look like it will be just the ticket for controlling my Receptor. Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm currently pondering an upgrade from my Korg TR76 to one of three possibilities.

Either using a PX-3 to control a motif style module

or Picking up a Korg Krome 88 for around $1700

or Picking up a Yamaha moX8 or whatever replaces it at this winter's NAMM for about the same price as the Krome.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck with a weighted 88 Keyboard. The moX8 looks nice but it's already a two year old design so I'm sort of sitting on the fence to see what Yamaha is planning to come out with by the end of this year or spring next year.

Any suggestions for other contenders as well as modules in my price range would be welcomed.

[EDIT]

After doing some serious research on the web, I've decided to blow a few bux more and buy a Kurzweil PC3LE8. It looks like a board that will serve me well for many many many years to come.

I'll be putting my Korg TR76 up for sale this week and hopefully I'll have the Kurzweil in my hands by the end of the month. ;)

Ask a Question