Enry Level Arranger Keyboard

Reaction score
What is the most pro sounding, yet inexpensive keyboard that has built in speakers and dynamic touch (velocity) with decent Rhodes patches and half decent string sounds and pad sounds to layer with acoustic piano?

I am looking for an amusing keyboard for my own practice and eventually teach a child how to play and give it to him. I don't want a "toy" but also don't "need" anything beyond the basics because I'm not really interested in the arranger features, just the built in speakers and yes, some backing tracks would be part of the fun factor but I may end up with just a digital piano if the sounds are better on them. Any feedback would be appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at the Casio Privia PX-160, PX-360 or a used PX-150 or used PX-350.

A few more bells and whistles than you need but they cover all the basics for a decent price.

If lack of built in speakers is not a deal breaker then also take a look at the Roland Juno DS88.

These are all pro sounding boards with weighted 88 key hammer action keybeds that would keep anyone happy for a long long time.

Gary ;)
\

Reaction score
My Grandson likes to play on my Korgs but all he does is play around with the instrument voices and styles, there is no desire to do anything else unless encouraged.

Getting an Arranger then you run the risk of the same antics by your child.

Hence my suggstion would be to look for a more simple keyboard that is more for making music and playing along with to songs. A couple of Roland products that fit this criteria are both in the same family namely GoKeys and GoPiano, they sound great, have the all important built in speakers and are very suitable for feeding in a song from a tablet, ipod, iphone etc.

Reaction score
I agree, for a child the temptation to just hit buttons all day will prevent learning. That's why the "toy" should be very inexpensive if that's what it's going to end up being.
Casio CTK 4400 is a very cheap older model low end keyboard.....I was thinking of investing 100 for it and throwing it out (giving it to grandson) if I didn't like it.

Ask a Question