Foot triggers for playing drums?

Reaction score
I've been using the Roland PK5 for playing drums with my feet while I'm gigging in this 2 piece Motown group.

I'm switching to my Hammond B3 for some gigs and the Roland PK5 is too long to place under the Hammond and play with my feet.

Was wondering if anyone knew of any smaller pads? Realistically I only need 2-4 pads/triggers bc I can program Kick/Hat on my right foot and Hat/Snare/Claps on my left foot.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Right on Dallas!

I have also been stomping on a PK-5 (since 1992) in order to play my drums live. Unfortunately I have never been able to solve this space problem for organs and pianos. The PK-5 does both velocity sensitive midi "notes"and other "notes" can be programed to send midi CC commands all at the same time. It is the only foot pedal system I know of that can do this. They really do need to start building piano's and organ with space for Pk-5's ;).

Reaction score

• Unfortunately however I read this on the 12 step web site..

Can I set separate CC messages on each key?
  • No, you cannot set separate CC messages on each key of the 12 Step. The 12 Step only has global CC messages — each key will send the same CC data. The only per-key messages available on the 12 Step are MIDI notes.
The Pk5 can send any combination of midi signals (midi notes, CC's, Pg change etc) from the octave of foot-keys.

The 12 step would therefore require an additional Midi Solutions Event Processor or equivalent..

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

..in order to do the job that I need and this would add significantly to the cost. None-the-less the 12 step is compact and it may be worth the cost at some point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
William

Good point.

If you don't mind, tell me what you're looking to do that the 12 step won't do?

I'm looking to just send NOTES on/off to trigger kick/snare/hat/etc.

Reaction score
I am using various CC's to change layouts within my synth. The D "note"(CC) makes the low C a rim shot. The D# "note"(CC) makes the C note a snare. The E "note" makes the low C note a snare plus hand clap -- or conga -- or a shaker or whatever I have programed the particular synth patch to be. The C# "note" when depressed momentary brings tom toms to my right hand on the synth... The high C is my bass drum plus closed high hat at high velocities -- and closed high hat only at low velocities. The B note is my bass drum and open high hat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
William,
Gotcha.

I'm using the PK5 fairly simply

The "high" C is my kick. B is my Hat.
Low C is my Snare. D above that is Handclaps.
I just simply press down on multiple foot keys at once.

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

The Behringers won't work for me because I need to position my sustain pedal DP-2s beside my Pk5 so that I can sustain with my right toe while bass drumming with my heel. The same applies for the other side where I have two more DP-2's. The Left adjacent DP2("soft pedal") turns the H-Hat (high "C" note" into a ride cymbal plus velocity triggered kick. The Soft pedal is also used to trigger my leslie rotation speed (fast or slow)

Ask a Question