Ghost Keys? (Please help)

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR E253 (around 2 years old) and it’s not functioning properly. Whenever I play a note, or a set of keys, it plays another key that I didn’t press. I found this out when I played a B Major chord (B, D#, F#) and it suddenly played the F key. Same goes with Bm. I tried this on other octaves and still the same result, it played an F key when I play a Bm chord. When I played B Major on C2, the F key played like it was having a spasm. With my hand still on B Major, I pressed the F key but it didn’t play. It was just playing as if someone was pressing it uncontrollably. I also had this problem when I played F Major (F, A, C) and it played a B key. If you have any thoughts about this, please don’t hesitate to share. Hopefully this can be fixed.

Thank you for reading and I kindly wish for a response.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind is that the contacts for the keys might need to be cleaned. You can download a Service Manual for the PSR-E233 from the following site:

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=PSR E233&kategoria=&kat2=all

I know the PSR-E253 isn't identical to the PSR-E233, but that's the latest model in the PSR-E2xx series for which that site has a Service Manual, and hopefully there's enough similarity-- particularly with respect to the keys-- that it might help you somewhat.

There are videos on YouTube that show people opening up their Yamaha keyboards to clean the key contacts, and while there might not be a video for the PSR-E253 specifically, hopefully they will still be helpful.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I had this happen to me when I had my psr295.
I was a built in feature.
It was some kind of predictive mode whereby any key you pressed it played a better key sound suited to the acmp preset.
If I remember right there is a button or knob indicating that this feature is active.
Maybe that is your problem and you need to deactivate it.
I can't help you anymore than that because I don't have that model anymore but scroll though your manual and see if that helps.
Best of luck ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Ray, I think you might be referring to the "Performance Assist Technology" feature that some Yamaha keyboard models used to have. If so, that feature isn't included on the PSR-E253.

Ask a Question