Help me decide between these casio keyboards!

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm looking at the casio px 3, px 330, and px350. I am mostly going o be playing at home but will probably take it with me to play in bands every now and then. I will be using a laptop for the sounds most of the time so I'm not terribly worried about that. I would like to keep it as close to $500 as possible. What keyboard seems to fit me the best?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The PX-3 or PX-3S is designed to be a giggable, professional, stage piano. That means it has all the jacks and connectors required to be able to hook it up to a professional sound and MIDI system without any kludges.

What the PX-3 lacks, however, is internal speakers so at home you'll either have to invest in an amp and speakers or a set of powered monitors or a good set of headphones to listen to yourself play.

My advice is, price being the same, go with the PX-3. It's more versatile and obsolescence proof in the long run.

Gary

Reaction score
The PX-3 or PX-3S is designed to be a giggable, professional, stage piano. That means it has all the jacks and connectors required to be able to hook it up to a professional sound and MIDI system without any kludges.

What the PX-3 lacks, however, is internal speakers so at home you'll either have to invest in an amp and speakers or a set of powered monitors or a good set of headphones to listen to yourself play.

My advice is, price being the same, go with the PX-3. It's more versatile and obsolescence proof in the long run.

Gary
Thanks! What about the px 5? Is it enough of an improvement to warrant the larger price tag?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The PX-5S is an enormous technological jump from the PX-3/PX-3S and much more current.

Whether or not you should spring for the 5S though, depends on how tight your budget is.

If you are planning to mainly use the keyboard as a controller with the sounds on your laptop's VSTs then the PX-3 or PX-3S would be fairly adequate.

But the PX-3 family offers pretty much GM sounds while the PX-5S offers many features and sounds of a full blown synth workstation.

I'd say, if it doesn't blow a hole in your wallet to spend the extra $500 on a PX-5S but if you're in a tight financial spot it's not worth going into debt over.

Final decision is up to you. Take a look at a few youtube demos and try them both out in a store if you can and then make up your mind if you can live without the 5S extra bells and whistles.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For stage pianos nothing else comes close in that price range.

Then again it depends on what style of music you want to make.

Do you need/require full 88 key hammer action or would you be OK with synth action?

Are you trained as a piano player or as a synth/organ player?

If you plan to gig with it are you looking for solid pianos and organs and bread and butter sounds or is your group more oriented toward modern electropop and D&B?

As a basic lightweight gigging controller and stage piano the PX-5S is hard to beat both in weight and price and flexibility.

Then again tell us more about your style of playing and your ultimate goals and perhaps we can offer alternate suggestions.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It slipped my mind but another interesting keyboard/controller coming out this summer (perhaps it's already out) is the Korg Kross 88 which was released at this summer's NAMM Show. It also has a full 88 key hammer action, is very lightweight, and has all of Korg's bread and butter sounds in a similarly priced package.

Haven't seen any hands on reviews for it yet though.

Gary

Reaction score
I don't get much into the technical side. I am classically trained but also very adept at playing by ear. I mostly play piano sounds, and if I play with a band it's usually just improvisation, and maybe some strings or pad. I'm a composer and I mostly just want a good keyboard for home to help me write but that can also travel.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a demo of the Kross. The intro is in German but the actual presenter speaks English.

I'd say audition the PX-3S, the PX-5S and the Kross 88 side by side if you can to help make up your mind.

But if you're a serious composer who's not overly concerned with the technical side of performing and recording the PX-5S and the Kross may be overkill for your needs.

Gary

Reaction score
Here's a demo of the Kross. The intro is in German but the actual presenter speaks English.

I'd say audition the PX-3S, the PX-5S and the Kross 88 side by side if you can to help make up your mind.

But if you're a serious composer who's not overly concerned with the technical side of performing and recording the PX-5S and the Kross may be overkill for your needs.

Gary
In that case do you know of anything cheaper that still fits my needs?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I've seen, the PX-3 and PX-3S are in the process of being discontinued and can be had around $500 to $600 brand new if you shop around and I don't think you'll find anything else with a decent piano action in that price range worth considering.

I think the S version has a USB port while the PX-3 has only standard MIDI ports. Not a deal breaker either way if the price is right.

Gary

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the PX-3 and PX-3S are in the process of being discontinued and can be had around $500 to $600 brand new if you shop around and I don't think you'll find anything else with a decent piano action in that price range worth considering.

I think the S version has a USB port while the PX-3 has only standard MIDI ports. Not a deal breaker either way if the price is right.

Gary
Awesome! Thanks for your help! I'll definitely I'll definitely look into the px 3s!

Reaction score
I've had the PX3 and traded up to the new PX5S. I highly recommend buying the PX5S because it offers so much more flexibility and the sounds are much better. It has a great synth engine that the PX3 does not have so it can do much more from one keyboard. Don

Ask a Question