How did Pat Metheny's vocalists hit those ridiculously high notes?

rm5

Reaction score
I absolutely love Pat Metheny, and I especially love his records with the Pat Metheny Group from the 80s/90s. What I fail to understand though, is how those singers (who I presume are male) hit those insanely high notes. I can't even begin to do that--but then again, I'm not a professional singer. Anyway, do you think it was an immense amount of practice, or did they have naturally high voices?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's all about the arrangement of the vocal chords.

Falsetto is easy enough for children but as they age the shape and tightness of the vocal chords tend to loosen up.

Going back about a hundred years and earlier church choirs would castrate the boys before puberty so their vocal chords would stop maturing and produce the angelic notes they craved.

They were called castratos. :p

Reaction score
I absolutely love Pat Metheny, and I especially love his records with the Pat Metheny Group from the 80s/90s. What I fail to understand though, is how those singers (who I presume are male) hit those insanely high notes. I can't even begin to do that--but then again, I'm not a professional singer. Anyway, do you think it was an immense amount of practice, or did they have naturally high voices?
Practice and natural ability. I personally knew Mark Ledford and I can tell you he worked very hard at his craft. I loved that era of PMG. All the albums with Lyle Mays were special.

Ask a Question