Jupiter-50 maintenance

Reaction score
Hi,

my pitch bender can't hold the note anymore and gets slightly out of tune. Do you suggest replacing just the spring or whole unit? It's pretty cute, that a digital synth can go out of tune. But I'd really want to get back to using a reliable bender, and not having to tweak fine tune of the sounds or disabling the bender altogether when not playing leads. :p

In addition, ought a new key contact board solve the problem of some keys being lose (they press easier than most or slightly move side ways)?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The loose keys can't be fixed with new contact strips.

That, you'll have to learn to live with.

BUT, the pitch controller can be replaced or repaired.

First, try squirting in some contact cleaner into the pot and see if there's a calibration procedure for your unit. Even if you install a new unit you will have to calibrate it.

As a last resort, if none of these work, then replacement is the only option.

In the meanwhile, you should be able to disable the pitch controller as a temporary workaround.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The loose keys can't be fixed with new contact strips.

That, you'll have to learn to live with.

BUT, the pitch controller can be replaced or repaired.

First, try squirting in some contact cleaner into the pot and see if there's a calibration procedure for your unit. Even if you install a new unit you will have to calibrate it.

As a last resort, if none of these work, then replacement is the only option.

In the meanwhile, you should be able to disable the pitch controller as a temporary workaround.

Gary ;)
Thanks, mate. I've disabled it for some piano/melody/rhytm parts, but gonna need the bugger for my leads. I think I've just smashed it like Andy Larocque himself for years, and it had to show some signs of wearing out.

I'll try the proper cleaning and see if there's a chance to calibrate it to a mint state. If that fails, maybe trying find a new spring first, and as the last resort a whole new "bender unit".

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're welcome and good luck with the repairs.

Dunno if a Jupiter 80 part will fit but here's a bender unit for $50.

Might be best to skip the preliminaries and order in the part. :)

OOOO and they sell the spring alone for $3 :)

Gary :)

Reaction score
Just one more "ace" up my sleeve.. gonna try and buy CRC Cleaner first for the old unit and see if it helps. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hi,

my pitch bender can't hold the note anymore and gets slightly out of tune. Do you suggest replacing just the spring or whole unit? It's pretty cute, that a digital synth can go out of tune. But I'd really want to get back to using a reliable bender, and not having to tweak fine tune of the sounds or disabling the bender altogether when not playing leads. :p

In addition, ought a new key contact board solve the problem of some keys being lose (they press easier than most or slightly move side ways)?
What do you mean by loosed keys... If they get more out than others plastic issue (can be fixed) . Got one issue with velocity of jupiter 50 keys as loosed ones I already fix... aliexpress rubbers believe is the first solution (searching for proper ones)...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What do you mean by loosed keys... If they get more out than others plastic issue (can be fixed) . Got one issue with velocity of jupiter 50 keys as loosed ones I already fix... aliexpress rubbers believe is the first solution (searching for proper ones)...

You're replying to a 3 year old thread.

Pay attention.

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware. Some issues remains on for so long. As I am still a fan of Jupiter-50 as most of users and the topic is not closed I have replied. You are suggesting me to make a new post? Best regards

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Topics almost never close on these forums but usually it's best to start a new thread after several years have passed.

Ask a Question