Keyboard for creating backing tracks?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wonder what would be my best keyboard option for creating backing tracks. Here´s the deal. I´m primarily a guitar player, and currently working on a solo project.

I play mostly rock tunes (such as Pink Floyd, U2, RHCP, The Cure, Police, Oasis) Some of them sound good played acoustic, but other really lack the power and full sound of a band. I have tried midi files but the sound is awful to say the least, and pre-recorded MP3 backing tracks feels like cheating to me, so I would love to be able to create my own tracks, give them my own tempo and feel, and then play them through the keyboard as I play the guitar and sing.

Considering that, what would you think is my best option? I wont be playing the keyboard live, but I need some really good real-sounding styles, with arpeggios and variations to create the best tracks possible. I was just listening to a Yamaha MO8X and it looks really promising, but I wonder if there´s a better fit for what I´m looking for.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the MOX8 is in your price range then also take a look at the Korg Krome 88 and the Kurzweil PC3LE8.

Personally my preference would be for the Kurzweil.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I will take a look at the YouTube reviews of both the Korg and the Kurzweil, since there's no store around that have them available for a live demo. A friend of mine owns a MOX8, and I must say I was impressed with the arpeggios and styles available.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The keyboards I listed in this thread are $1500 to $2000.

The WK-7600 can fit the bill for a lot of similar purposes, but you can't really compare a $500 keyboard with a $2000 one.

A lot of it boils down to things like sound quality and bells and whistles like touchscreens and stuff that simply doesn't get built into a $500 machine.

But if you're just starting out, a WK-7600 is a good start and even a lot of professional, gigging musicians take them along on their gigs.

Gary

Reaction score
true happyrat1... but can the WK7600 pair up with music softwares on a PC and make up for the shortcomings?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anything is possible if you're willing to work at it hard enough and throw enough money at it.

Then again if you won't be performing your tracks live, then perhaps your best bet would be to pick up an Akai MIDI controller and a few good soft synths and do your work on the computer.

You could accomplish equal or better things than with the Krome or the Kurzweil for less than half the money if you decide to go that route.

As a bonus, this sort of setup is pretty much obsolescence proof since all you ever have to swap out or upgrade is some software instead of trading in old hardware.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said in your other thread, look into picking up a hardware synth rack module and a good MIDI controller with proper MIDI ports.

That's your best bang for the buck option.

Ask a Question