Keyboard Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Didn't see anything like this so thought it might be nice to have. The ones I review all have what I consider "basics" like weighted keys, split keyboard ability, a pitch bend wheel etc.

CASIO 150
Cost: about $500
Voices: 18
Polyphony: 128
Recording tracks: 2

General impression: this thing specs out most impressively for it's cost. The sound (the piano sound, the others) is also fine. But the speakers are somewhat inferior (kind of weak) and IMO the key action is poor, unless you like very loose and very loud keys (make noise when hit). But as with all of these I advise you to try one because opinions are only that and if you can live with the speakers and key action, might be the one for you.

CASIO 350
Cost: about $700
Voices: about 250
Recording tracks: 17

General impression: this thing specs out most impressively for it's cost too, with a whopping 17 track sequencer and tons of voices. For the rest, see the 150 above; same deal. Basically if you want the added tracks and voices, get this; if that doesn't matter, save your $ and get the 150.

YAMAHA 650
Cost: about $800
Voices: about 150
Recording tracks: 6

General impression: while it's somewhat less on tracks and voices, the Yamaha has better sound and key action than the Casio. A fine overall keyboard IMO other than that. Again, your prefs and tastes comes into play, so you'd really need to try one.

KORG KROSS
Cost: about $1000
Voices: about 150 (at least - they say less but I played it, there are more, didn't add me up though)
Polyphony: 80
Recording tracks: 16

General impression: not as much bang for the buck as the others in terms of just specs, but IMO it more than makes up for it with far better action on the keys. However it uses an SD card to save off music (? why they didn't use USB I'll never know) and doesn't have built-in speakers, which means expect to pay at least another $100+ to cover that. Course the good news there is even cheap external speakers will sound far better than the built-in ones.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A couple of notes on your reviews.

First off you should mention the Casios' full model numbers.

That's the Privia PX-150 and the Privia PX-350. Pretty much among their bottom and top of the line in home models.

Likewise the Yamaha you mentioned is the DGX-650. Also a home model.

The Korg Kross is Korg's entry level professional model. This is why it requires separate amplification. No professional worth a damn would ever seriously consider a keyboard with onboard speakers unless he is a tech geek into circuit bending and experimental synth hacking.

The Casios and the DGX are suitable for setting up in your living room and teaching the grandkids to play piano but if you are doing any kind of studio work or live performing then you'd be better off looking at the Privia PX-5S or the Yamaha MOXF lines which are cost competitive with the Kross and also require external amplification.

Just as a for instance I have about a half dozen synths in my home studio. If they all had crappy built in speakers they would sound like total garbage and be a nightmare to adjust the levels on.

As it is, I run them all thru a Behringer 12 channel mixer and a decent set of studio monitors and subwoofer5.

Most beginners overlook future expansion when they set up their first home studio mainly in favor of keeping the budget to a minimum. But keyboards are an expensive and satisfying hobby that are addictive to the extreme.

When I recommend hardware for a beginner I always advise them to keep in mind future expansion and compatibility.

And just for an FYI, Yamaha products are totally incompatible with Linux. For someone like myself who runs strictly linux in my studio that is the ultimate dealbreaker for me.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A couple of notes on your reviews.
A few notes on your notes :)

First off you should mention the Casios' full model numbers.
If you google "Casio 350," it comes up. It's not like there are 10 diff versions of each.

The Korg Kross is Korg's entry level professional model. This is why it requires separate amplification. No professional worth a damn would ever seriously consider a keyboard with onboard speakers unless he is a tech geek into circuit bending and experimental synth hacking.
That's a dicey excuse IMO. Not everyone who buys one is necessarily a professional going out gigging. But whatever, it's not like I'm touting it as a deal-breaker.

The Casios and the DGX are suitable for setting up in your living room and teaching the grandkids to play piano but if you are doing any kind of studio work or live performing
You act like those are the only 2 choices. There are all kinds of middle grounds between "teaching the grandkids" and Chick Corea (or whoever). There are people who play for parties, or for their church, or want to record for their own enjoyment or purposes, not because they have delusions of grandeur. And many of them have a limited budget.

Most beginners overlook future expansion when they set up their first home studio mainly in favor of keeping the budget to a minimum.
And most are wise to do so. Again, not all of us have an endless stream of $ to dedicate.

But keyboards are an expensive and satisfying hobby that are addictive to the extreme.
...to you. You do not = everyone. Nor do I. The point being for many, a more modest keyboard like those above is enough. If they later decide they are able and willing to upgrade, they can address it then. This reminds me of the tech geeks who tell everyone to buy the most expensive PC possible, which is poor advice.

And just for an FYI, Yamaha products are totally incompatible with Linux. For someone like myself who runs strictly linux in my studio that is the ultimate dealbreaker for me.
Thx for the info, but I wouldn't bother. Sadly I am assimilated to Windows lol

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All I'm saying is if you are posting a "keyboard review" then a little due diligence is in order. :D

As for the breakdown into pro and non pro and the occasional semi pro keyboard afficianado. 99% of the traffic on this board breaks down into those first two categories. And I cannot with any authority attest to the mental health of any of them re. delusions of grandeur. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
As for the breakdown into pro and non pro and the occasional semi pro keyboard afficianado. 99% of the traffic on this board breaks down into those first two categories. And I cannot with any authority attest to the mental health of any of them re. delusions of grandeur. :D :D :D

I can help you there Gary. I have zero delusions of grandeur, but I can't claim to be 100% mentally healthy either ;)

General impression: not as much bang for the buck as the others in terms of just specs, but IMO it more than makes up for it with far better action on the keys.

Thanks for the reviews Bill, and good on you for taking the time to guide others. These things are always subjective, so in the interests of balancing your views on the Kross (I'm not familiar with the other 'boards reviewed), I'd say that the Kross is exceptional value for money when you look at sound quality, features and function. However the action on both the weighted 88 version and the 61 synth version are hard to fall in love with. My view only, of course.

Reaction score
Thanks - yep that's why I said "in terms of just specs." :) Funny that you don't like the action, that's what is drawing me to it. Well above the others (then again it's a workstation and costlier so I would hope so). They didn't have that excessive springiness the others do, for starters.

Reaction score
Thanks - yep that's why I said "in terms of just specs." :) Funny that you don't like the action, that's what is drawing me to it. Well above the others (then again it's a workstation and costlier so I would hope so). They didn't have that excessive springiness the others do, for starters.
Certainly understand where you're coming from, Bill. Like I said, it's subjective, so my view is far from definitive.

The reason I don't like the action on the Kross 88 is I find it heavy and unresponsive. If you compare it to the action on an acoustic piano it's quite hard to get along with. If you have a crack on a Kurz 88 or a Korg Kronos 88 you'll see what I mean.

Of course, completely different price range.

Reaction score
No doubt, and my budget is limited as you can see........

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW Bill5, I can't help but notice your new avatar.

Do you REALLY think it's appropriate after last week's shooting in South Carolina and all the controversy surrounding the stars and bars now or are you just flying it to piss people off?

I can't believe that I'm the only one who thinks it's in extremely poor taste and absolutely offensive to minority groups.

Gary

Reaction score
I think you know what you can do with your ridiculously self-righteous and painfully ignorant comments. I won't discuss this further as it would be a hideous waste of time, so how about you spare us your passive aggressive "censorship is OK if I'm offended" BS, we skip the political crapola altogether, and talk music? Yknow what this site is all about?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm closing this thread, as it's gone way off topic. Please lets keep things civil and keyboard related :).

@bill5, I'm dropping you a private message about the avatar as it's a complicated subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question