Keyboards with these features

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new here, but this seemed the most logical forum to ask this question. Maybe as a result I'll hang around :)

Backstory - I've been a piano player for many, many years, and more recently worked in the band on cruise ships for 4+ years. Different ships had different keyboards provided for me, so I kinda took a liking to certain features that some of them had. My goal in this thread is to find out what keyboards have these features, as I am looking to purchase one for myself very soon.

What I will use it for - Well piano will likely be the most common sound I will use, but I really enjoyed when the ship had us as essentially a cover band, so I would like to do more of that on land. So key things are pop/rock song sounds (all the way from oldies to modern) and things that are easy to change on the spot. Not specifically geared towards recording, but who knows.

Here are the features I am looking for (but feel free to let me know if you think something isn't actually as necessary as I'm implying, I may be able to change my mind):
- Good piano sound and feel - I'm not super picky, but I do want it to be good. My test song I frequently use is Easy by the Commodores to see if I can get all the subtleties I want when playing that piano part.
- Intuitive layout - I want to spend my time on the music, not figuring out and memorizing how to do what I want to do
- Category buttons that are labeled and can remember a certain sound within that category easily
- Easy dual/layer and split methods, as well as easily being able to assign the sounds AND volumes of each separately while playing
- Lots of preset sounds - the GM set of 128 sounds isn't enough
- Full-size, or I can make do with 76 keys if necessary.

Also something I have possible concern about but have not thoroughly tested: polyphony. I got to use a Nord Stage 2 on a ship and unexpectedly ran into an issue while playing with a synth sound of notes cutting out!

Cost thoughts - Well I don't like to spend unnecessary money, but I am fine spending up to 1500 on it.

Of the ones I have played on (which is at least 20 different keyboards), as far as I can tell my best choice would be a Roland RD-700GX (I have not tried NX or the 800), but considering portability and cost, probably Roland RD-300GX (I have tried the NX, but I actually prefer the GX for some reason). I don't think I've seen a non-Roland with those accessible volume controls for layers, which I have found quite useful, but I have no bias towards Roland if there are more keyboards with their ease of use. Currently eyeing a used 300GX for $900, but I want input from others with keyboard experience.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My suggestions would also include the Nord Lead and the Kurzweil Forte. I'd say both would be worth looking at to fit your needs. If you are looking to keep the controls simple then the newer stage pianos are closer to your needs than a workstation.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts... though without looking too much into depth, I see issues with those for me - Nord Leads only has 49 keys (way too few) and Kurzweil Forte appears to be around $4,000 (I could see going up to 2,000 if I really liked it, but 4's not happening).

(side note: yay rodents playing instruments avatars!)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I hadn't realized the price tag was so high on the Kurzweil Forte. I believe the Kurzweil Artis sells around the $2K mark though.

Gary

Reaction score
If you like the sound of Kurzweil pianos (disclaimer - I definitely do) the SP5-8 is a really nice 88 key 'board with a good weighted action at cheaper price than the Artis or the Forte. You do compromise on some features of course.

Ask a Question