Korg PA700 Recording screen no longer comes up, no midi recording possible

Reaction score
Switching to "Sequencer" in my PA700 no longer brings up the initial recording screen to let you choose among Multitrack, Backing Sequence and Step Backing Sequence. Just "NewSong" comes up, and no recording is possible (track lights switch only between green (play) and mute. I can load a previously recorded song but not record any track in it. MP3 recording still works.
Does anybody know if Factory Restore might resolve this? I checked all the settings, locks, and manual and find nothing out of place

Reaction score
Welcome.

Before you try a factory restore you should create a Save All file of your user settings.

You will need to load this file whenever you have performed a factory reset or updated the operating system

Talking of operating system there is an update available via the Korg website and after trying the factory reset if all is OK then you can update the OS

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I did a Full Resource Backup and am trying to see if I should do other direct SAVE operations as well. I went through these with the PA1x Pro, and with the Yamaha, and would hate to use all the adjusted sounds and settings. Does anybody know if a Factory Restore restores the operating system as well, not just the style, sound and other data? It seems to me most likely that a a glitch developed in my operating system.

Reaction score
I checked multiple links to an updated operating system, including from the official Korg support web pages. There is no operating system file, updated or old, from Korg available, it seems, ANYWHERE on their site -- following their own link gives an "Page does not exist" error. Very strange, and may finish me right here. I never had such a problem with the Pa1x Pro. My system is vers. 1.1.0, in 2019 version 1.4 should have been available ...

Reaction score
Try this link for the update.

Creating a Backup files does not save user data, the Save All file is the one that does this.

Here is a little bit of information that may help.

1- Korg PA arrangers basic information and use.

Korg have their Video Manual series of informative tutorials available online for newbies and for potential buyers to learn the features of a PA arranger prior to visiting a Music Store. This link is for the PA1000 but others are available for specific models in the PA series.

I would strongly advise watching the videos a few times before even visiting a Music Store and then watching them again whilst seated at your new PA and follow along with the presenter.

Additionally prior to purchase the Manual in PDF format is freely available to download and peruse at your leisure.

In the following posts the content is as per the index with one subject per post but do note that they are not necessarily in a particular order in regard to content.

INDEX OF INDIVIDUAL POST CONTENT
1 Basic information and use
2 First steps with your new PA
3 Backup and Save All
4 Unprotecting Styles
5 Saving a Style to Songbook
6 Songs and Direct Access
7 Using Songs
8 Setup & using Direct Access
9 Changing keyboard sets in a song
10 Korg Arrangers and OSIMO
11 Korg webinars

2 - FIRST STEPS WITH YOUR NEW PA.

Read and follow the instructions that came with the keyboard.

Power up the PA and work through the Korg Video Manual series whilst at your keyboard.

The Video Manual series on Songbook will reference that there is a longer version available to view that goes into the feature and the free Songbook Editor software.

Using Songbook by setting up Songs of your own using the an applicable Style as the basis for each of you songs, this will help you learn how to customise the PA to your needs, once comfortable then you could develop your knowledge and customisation of other PA features.

Have a new USB memory stick available and format it in the PA

3 - BACKUP & SAVE ALL

Insert the USB memory stick and format it in the PA ( if you have not already done this ) via pressing Media and navigating to the USB memory stick then select Format.

Once formatted Backup your PA and perform a Save All and do take note that these are two distinct and separate actions and two separate and distinct files are generated by the PA.

4 - UNPROTECTING STYLES

Global > General > Lock

On the right of this screen there are three Tabs

One is labelled Style

Tap on it and you will see what Locks are in place for each element of a Style.

Unlock the Style features then press Exit

Tap down arrow in top right and you will see what was greyed out is now editable, press Exit to clear the drop down menu off screen.

5 - SAVING A STYLE TO SONGBOOK.

Select your desired Style that you want to save as a Songbook entry

Tap Keyboard on screen, select what you want as the instrument voice.

(1) Then from drop down select Write Kbd Set to Style, making sure the instrument name is correct (if not correct it by tapping on the T and naming it what you want) and making sure it is going to be saved in position 01.

(2) If you also want to change the instrument voices in Up1, Up2 and Low, tap on each in turn, select the instrument voice you want then select Write Current Style Settings.

Repeat (1) & (2) for the three other positions, making sure that they are saved in positions 02, 03 & 04 respectively, then when this is completed from drop down menu select Write Current Style Settings.

In Style mode select a different Style, play something then go back and select the Style you just edited and all should be OK.

Now go back into the Lock screen and check the protection boxes.

6 - SONGS AND DIRECT ACCESS

Create a folder on your USB memory called Direct and re-insert the memory stick back into your Pa. Enable Direct access via enabling it in Media. Save a Style (you may need to disable protection in the Lock screen in Global) that you want to use as the basis for a Song and ensure you save it to the Direct location.
The Style is then available via the Direct tab.

7 - USING SONGS

If the Song exists in the Songbook either because one was there thanks to Korg or if I have previously saved the song before then I simply add a suffix to the title. This way multiple versions of the same song are kept together in the listing.

Additionally for all the styles that I have saved as a Song in the Artist Cell I put my initials, that way I can use the sort by column function to get all my Songs displayed together.

Now when I had a good number of songs that I have added I then created a Setlist and named it My Repertoire and all songs with my initials in the Artist column now reside in this setlist, I also created other setlists and placed the songs applicable to the title of the setlist within said setlist ie 60’s, Blues, Big Band. Songs of course can be placed in multiple Setlists, change one element of the original Song and the changes apply within the Setlist which is basically only a database.

The source Style for a Song can either be a factory default or a user Style.

A couple of words of warning, if you make use of the free Korg Bonusware styles when you install them as a batch some automatically install to user bank 1 location 1 so do take care that it does not overwrite your own user Style.

Before you get to far with your own Style creation can I suggest that you download Osimo for your Pa, extract it to a root folder on your USB memory stick. With it in your Pa power it up and then Media > Load navigate to the Osimo folder and click on Select.

You will now have the Korg UK freebie Osimo songbook which has over a hundred Songs with each being created on a specific style or even on a scratch Style, Setlists are included. These Songs will show up in the main Songbook with a border to signify that they reside on external memory.

8 - USING DIRECT ACCESS

Enabling Direct Access will enable resources to be saved to a folder on a USB memory stick and hence save on usage of the internal fixed memory.

9 - CHANGING KEYBOARD SETS IN A SONG

Load the Song.

Tap Keyboard set 1

Then select what you want as the instrument voice.

(1) Then from drop down select Write Kbd Set to Style, making sure the instrument name is correct (if not correct it by tapping on the T and naming it what you want) and making sure it is going to be saved in position 01.

(2) If you also want to change the instrument voices in Up1, Up2 and Low, tap on each in turn, select the instrument voice you want then select Write Current Style Settings.

Repeat (1) & (2) for the three other positions, making sure that they are saved in positions 02, 03 & 04 respectively, then when this is completed from drop down menu select Write Current Style Settings.

In Style mode select a different Style, play something then go back and select the Style you just edited and all should be OK.

10 - KORG ARRANGERS AND OSIMO

With the Korg PA Arrangers there is a great resource at the UK based site Korg Worid dot Co dot UK where there are Osimo versions for each of the 700, 1000 and 4X keyboards.

The Osimo plug in gives additional Songbook entries each of which has been customized by Korg UK staffers.

Osimo runs from the USB stick and is not loaded into the inbuilt memory.

In total there are c850 Songs available over the three versions.

So I set about combining all three versions into one, which in itself has taken me two hours of copying and pasting so I thought that I would share the actions that I have undertaken with fellow PA owners who may be interested in doing the same.

Since my own PA is the one at the bottom of the rung I expected issues since my own PA does not have the full range of instrument voices and available Styles that the 1000 and especially the 4X does.

I downloaded each Osimo Zip file from Korgworld and extracted each to a folder named Korg. Inside this folder I created a folder called OsimoAll_v1.set (do note you have to include .set in the name).

Within Korg's own software Songbook Editor, I loaded the Osimo .set folder contents for the 4X version into the software.

I then opened a second window of Songbook Editor and loaded the Osimo .set folder contents for the 1000 version of the software.

Contrary to what you might think simply copying and pasting the listed Songs is not the way to go, the way to go is via the Setlists.

Compare each of the Setlists shown in the two open windows and in the one containing the 4X version of Osimo create a new Setlist(s) named to correspond to the open window version containing the 1000 version Setlists.

So now the window containing the 4X version should have all its own Setlists plus empty Setlists from the 1000 version where there are different to those in the 4X version.

It is a case of selecting each of the Setlist entries via Select All and dragging them to the correct Setlist folder in the 4X Osimo Window.

A pop up window now asks to Overwrite existing, Retain existing or rename for the first entry Select Retain existing, the pop up window then comes on screen for the next entry where again select Retain, repeat this until all Setlist entries have been copied.

Repeat this for each of the Setlists shown in the 4X.

At this point DO NOT save the modified 4X Songbook since all the additional Songs will show Red in the main window to signify that they have not yet been saved, this is useful later.

Now it is time to open another Songbook Window but this time for the 700 version of Osimo, the same procedure to Setlist(s) is followed, create new empty Setlists in the 4X window where there are different named Setlists in the 700 Window.

It is now a case of going through each Setlist in the 4X Window and copying and pasting the Setlist entries from the 700 version of Osimo to the corresponding Setlist in the 4X version.

Now for the BUT, this time on each occasion the pop up window shows select Retain, repeat process in each Setlist until they are all copied.

The Retain process is so that the Styles etc of the 700 are retained and not replaced by possible slightly different Styles that might have been used in the 4X or 1000 versions.

Now there is a lot of Red entries and it is a case of starting at the top of the Alphabetically sorted list and deleting any duplicates that you may have created, taking note that there are occurrences where different artists and different Genres have been used, where this is the case retain the duplicate.

Now it is a case of saving the 4X file into the OsimoAll_v1.set folder via the Save As command.

Copy this folder onto a USB stick formatted in your PA and insert the USB drive into your PA and then load the OsimoAll_v1,set folder contents via Media > Load, navigate to said folder and select Load.

Now it is a case of going through each Setlist and each of the entries to play the Song and note any errors which in my own case has been Style Not Found. You can then modify the offending Song in Songbook editor by selecting a Style that is on your PA.

NOTE
You will need to modify the procedure depending upon your PA, If you have a 4X then at the pop up window for each you select Retain. If you have a 1000 you load the 700 version and select Retain at each of the pop up windows, then when you copy and paste the 1000 entries you select Retain for each pop up instance.

11 - KORG WEBINARS

Once you can follow and replicate all the actions you see in the Video Manuals then to learn more in depth functions and features then a good place to start is on the Korg UK’s website which is specific for PA owners namely Korg World.

Korg Webinars are streamed live and to access them register and follow the links to the Crowdcast website which hosts the webinars

During the Webinar you can ask questions of the Korg Staff presenting the show which is typically on a specific subject or can be a Q&A session or even a mini Concert.

The Webinar is retained for offline viewing if so desired and there are hours of very useful content already on the host site.

I cannot recommend viewing the Webinars enough.

Reaction score
Wow! Incredibly helpful, thanks so much. The link actually led to a working page, and I am downloading version 1.5 as I am writing this! Thanks for all the other information also.

Reaction score
OS update smooth but did not resolve problem. Factory Restore (first partial then full) smooth but did not solve problem, Resource Restore (partial and then full) smooth, so at least back to working condition (keyboard sets, custom sounds, custom styles etc.) but without a midi Sequencer. MP3 recording still works for recording sketches.
Seems to be a hardware problem then, matter for the dealer (of course out of warranty by a month).
Thanks again for all the incredible help, Biggles!

Reaction score
Sorry you still have the issue.

I am not sure if there is a way to fix the issue without a Korg tech intervention.

Not sure where you live but if you contact your local Korg Support Office they may be able to help, if you take some images of the LCD screen and sone video of you selecting Sequencer etc then Support will perhaps want to see these.

That said Korg Support varies greatly by Country from excellent here in the UK to non existent elsewhere.

Another place to post your issue is on Korg Forums, which is not supported by Korg but there are a few very knowledgable folks there.

Finally there are a couple of Korg Pa Facebook Groups where Korg Staff do visit and interact so one of the Korg Staffers will no doubt respond.

Good luck and do keep us advised of your issue and solution.

Reaction score
Thanks, I have posted in the Korg Forum too. Presumably the dealer here in San Benedetto where I bought the Yamaha Grand has some service capacity, big store and nice people. We'll see. They do sell Korg. It's italian after all. No big rush, I can record on the other keyboards, but this one was nice because it fit in the living room, so I don't have to go down to the studio and leave my wife with our autistic son for hours at a time.

Reaction score
Turned out to be my mistake. I had forgotten that you need to press the MP3/RECORD button to bring up the recording screen in Sequencer mode. KorgForum guessed at my mistake. it all works!

Reaction score
Glad you are sorted.

There are a series of instructional video tutorials that Korg produce, this is the first, if you work through them they will help.

Ask a Question