Kronos Remote

Reaction score
Sweetwater referred me to a software package called Kronos Remote which is supposed to wirelessly link an iPad to a Kronos keyboard. The idea is to have the keyboard's control screen accessible on your iPad. That would have been a big help to me, since I sometimes find it a little difficult to use the control surface with another keyboard on top.

In any event, the software never linked to the iPad, and the vague instructions just didn't help. What's worse, is that Apple no longer sells the required cable to synch the two, and you can't find it anywhere on the internet. The company never responded to any emails I sent asking for help.

The good news is that I bought the software from the App Store, and Apple was gracious enough to refund me the charge, no questions asked.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What was the type of cable that it required? And what generation of iPad are you using?

Reaction score
Apple sell the kit, it is called a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adaptor.

Plug in the Lightning connector to iPad and plug in a standard USB cable into the Adaptor and Kronos, tun on iPad and start up the App.

It looks like a cable connection gives full App usage.

You can also connect via Bluetooth.

Did you try either of these connection methods?

Bttw, 30 pin camara adaptors are still available.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
30-pin camera adapters are difficult to come by, as I don't think they're still available "new" from Apple, so you generally need to buy a used one from somebody or buy a third-party adapter-- at least, that's what I experienced a few months ago when I was shopping around to replace an adapter I'd misplaced. I ended up ordering a third-party adapter that's also a hub from a company in Germany-- which took weeks to arrive and had no tracking number, so I had no idea of when it was okay to start being concerned about whether there might be a problem with its delivery; but it did arrive eventually, in perfect condition. In the meantime, while I was waiting for the replacement to arrive I finally found the one I'd misplaced (in a spot I swear I'd looked in at least twice before). :)

Reaction score
You can link the iPad with the Kronos either by Bluetooth or cable. However, you need to link via the cable if you want to synch the iPad with the Kronis. I tried Apple, but they told me they no longer sell a cable or adapter ( called a camera connection kit) that can link a lightning connector with a USB B type male connector. And, although Bluetooth may work to a certain extent, as I mentioned, it won’t sync the Kronis with the IPad. In any event, since Kronos isn’t Bluetooth enabled, you need to get a Bluetooth adapter. So far, all adapters I came across require software to run them and I don’t know of any way to load software into the Kronos.

Reaction score
In any event, the whole process was very frustrating. And, although I would have loved to have a remote iPad connection, I finally gave up and requested a refund. I thought the company’s failure to respond to any of my emails was very disrespectful to customers.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I tried Apple, but they told me they no longer sell a cable or adapter ( called a camera connection kit) that can link a lightning connector with a USB B type male connector.

Wow, that doesn't sound right-- unless Apple has dumped the lightning connection in favor of something else? I'm pretty sure that I saw lightning-to-USB adapters being sold in the Apple Store nearest me back in November, but I haven't been back over there since then. I've got a new iPad 5 coming in another week or two, so I was planning to get a lightning-to-USB adapter for it, and I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they've stopped selling them.

Reaction score
The Apple advice seems very odd.

The Lightning to Camera Adaptor is available on the Apple store and Amazon for $38.

I bought one and connect up my keyboard via it to my iPad.

The 30 pin to Camera Adaptor is also still available on the Apple store at least in the UK they are, the 30 pin are on Amazon USA but only used ones.

Third party are available but do ensure that the description includes On The Go or OTG as without this two way communication will not take place.

Reaction score
Getting a used one is hit or miss since by definition, they’re no longer being made. Even if someone on the forum, sent me a link to where one was avaikable, I would need to be lucky to get one.

The developer of the software should have known all this before selling the product. That’s all I’m saying.

Reaction score
Peter
I have just been into the online Apple Store, selected a Lightning to Camera Adaptor and added one to my checkout bag.

Then I checked local availability and all the Apple Stores in Cities within a 100 mile radius of where I live have them in stock.

Amazon have new Apple made ones in stock and I can have one tomorrow.

I really cannot see why you are having difficulty obtaining one.

The Apple guy must have been referring to the old 30 pin version which is still being shown on the Apple Store but they are unavailable, but as you need a Lightning version you should not have a problem.

Reaction score
Boggles. That’s great to hear. Not sure why they told me that. In fact Apple has a concession stand at Best Buy, and the rep there told me the same thing. In any event, can you tell me the product number of the cable you are referring to?
Thanks
Perry

Reaction score
Perry

I have been onto the Apple USA website and this is the link to the adaptor.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91

A standard USB cable is the only other lead you should need.

The camera adaptor includes a Lighting socket so that the iPad can be kept powered whilst connected and operational.

Just remember to plug everything in prior to turning both devices on, reverse to disconnect.

Reaction score
Wow, that doesn't sound right-- unless Apple has dumped the lightning connection in favor of something else? I'm pretty sure that I saw lightning-to-USB adapters being sold in the Apple Store nearest me back in November, but I haven't been back over there since then. I've got a new iPad 5 coming in another week or two, so I was planning to get a lightning-to-USB adapter for it, and I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they've stopped selling them.

Reaction score
KirgGuy
Do make sure you get the correct adaptor, Apple sell a couple of Lightning to USB adaptors.

The one in the link in my prior post is the correct one.

Reaction score
I hang out at another forum called Korgforums. I bet you can find some help there regarding your iPad and Kronos.
I don't know anything about using it wirelessly but I bet there are more than a few people on the Kronos thread who would be more than willing to help you.

Reaction score
I got Kronos Remote and I bought the lightning connecter to USB and it worked fine. If you have an older iPad that needs the 30-pin to USB, they do sell those on Amazon. When I got it, I couldn't find documentation about what Bluetooth BLE dongle to get, so I got the Widi Bud from CME. It was not recognized by my iPad. Since I wanted the option to be wireless as well as wired, I was disappointed that I couldn't find documentation about it.

However...

there is an email address on the Kronos Remote site at the very top right of the website page - it's (e-mail address removed). I emailed the developer. I also belong to a Facebook group called Kronos Enthusiasts Workshop, and posted my Bluetooth question there - the developer saw it and answered it there. He said he had gotten my email and was going to answer me via email but since he saw it on the thread he'd answer it there so more people could see it. He suggests the Yamaha UD-BT01 or MD-BT01. I have ordered the UD and will let y'all know how it works.

Here is the link to the thread.

I love the app, and if I were you I wouldn't give up on it. I'm just getting started with it and I know there's a lot more than what I'm doing with it. I like having the Set List right at my fingertips, and it's way easier to scroll through multiple-page Set Lists. I also like being able to add PDFs and mp3s to each Set List item. It's worth it to me for that alone.

Reaction score
Update: with the new OS, MIDI-USB driver and sub-system firmware updates for the Kronos, the Yamaha UD-BT01 works to connect wirelessly with Kronos Remote over Bluetooth. With a hint from the developer, I connected it from the USB-B port to the UT-BT01 and from the BT01 into the USB-A port. Works great! I can sync set lists via the Camera Kit (wired) and then run it wirelessly with the UT-BT01.

Reaction score
Hmmm, this sounds really interesting! I don't really need it, but it looks nice!

Ask a Question